Newbe purchased #14612 this week.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
. I also ordered a few things.
Four LED bulbs for the nav/mast lights.
Just a heads up if you don't know. The bi-color bow light needs a special bulb, because normal leds don't supply full spectrum light and will not show bright enough through a red/green filter lens. SBO sells a special bulb, made by Dr LED, for this purpose.
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?1811
Same thing applies with tri-color fixtures.

Not cheap though.
I have one of them, and can say that they work well and are nice and bright.

Last edited:

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
Check out how Lee and I spent the weekend. Very hard work. Regretfully I did not video the full day of laying on my back sanding on Friday. I am so stiff I can hardly move tonight!

There was a little frustration. The Jamestown Distributors Epoxy Barrier Coat gave us some problems. The instructions say to apply the ablative paint once the epoxy will show a fingerprint without transferring paint to your glove. This is not quite true. Our ablative paint which was JD Select, mud cracked extensively. We painted three coats and each coat was better than the previous. However, this morning there were still extensive spider web looking cracks in the ablative paint. I painted epoxy barrier paint on the bunk areas and waited two hours. Once again I painted the entire bottom. The bunk areas cracked while the previous day's areas covered nicely. Evidently the barrier coat is outgassing while it cures and cracking the ablative paint. I recommend waiting about eight hours between barrier coat and ablative coats. The epoxy must fully cure before being top coated.

O well, its done now. Enjoy the video.

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
That hangar of mine has seen a lot of projects! I started my maintenance business when I was 23. Now 25 years later the govt is telling me I must sell it to them. It's gonna be like loosing a family member :(. If the transaction occurs we're selling the house, the Cat 22 and getting a 40 foot something or other. Going to see the coastal areas while we're still sorta young.

Lane

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
C-22's, Ford trucks and airplanes, what's not to like about all that?! Great job and video production by the way. If I had done a time lapse of the bottom job on mine, you would have seen the seasons change as it took me so long to do it.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
That hangar of mine has seen a lot of projects! I started my maintenance business when I was 23. Now 25 years later the govt is telling me I must sell it to them. It's gonna be like loosing a family member :(. If the transaction occurs we're selling the house, the Cat 22 and getting a 40 foot something or other. Going to see the coastal areas while we're still sorta young.

Lane
What, imminent domain? Fed or local Gov? If they force your hand on that make them pay BIG. Forcing you to sell your hanger is basically making you sell your business along with it. Sure you could lease another hanger, but then your expenses would go up. I hope it works out for you in a positive way... as in positive cash flow for life! If I was so lucky to have own building like that I'd want to keep it even after retirement, I'd lease it out but have a an agreement to keep some kind of footprint to myself for the occasional wacky project like a boat restoration... sigh.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Thanks for the kind words guys. Still pressing forward on the various upgrades this week.

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Well, I spent my entire week of vacation working on Hoosier Daddy. Tomorrow we take her back to Panama City. I plan on spending Saturday and Sunday night aboard. Sail during the days and anchor out at night.

The following sums up how the week went. I started by converting my exterior lights to LED. Followed that up with pulling a new VHF coax through the mast and inside the cabin. I ran it through the compression post for a very professional looking installation. It was a tight fit in the compression post.

Next I removed all the exterior graphics and letting with a heat gun. Last weekend my wife and I had painted the bottom. This week I sanded the trim stripes which were blue. I shot them with polyurethane in silver. It looks very sharp. I also replaced all the logos and vinyl trim.

Next I removed the outboard bracket because while back in the transom area I noticed the interior fiberglass was dimpling behind the bracket nuts. I fabricated and installed two aluminum plates for reinforcement. With a fresh rebedding this stiffened the bracket up.

While back there I also replaced the hard 1" bilge pump hose with a new hose and new clamps. Ever since I bought the boat I had been searching for a container to fit the trash can receptacle. I finally found a file box at Walmart that fits just fine. Finally I can put that dead space to use. While in that area I replaced the fresh water hose. While performing that project I moved the outlet for the fresh water hose up a few inches. Now I can remove the water jug more easily.

I also installed a tiller tamer. I hope this proves to be a great mod.

I also modified my new mast crutch after cussing it too many times. It tended to twist so the roller was about 80 degrees to the mast. It was a bound up mess and poorly designed. I modified it by welding a cross member with pads installed. Now it remains oriented correctly.

I hope all these mods make sailing even more enjoyable. The real test will be tomorrow when my wife helps step the mast for the first time. We will also be installing our new head sail. The things I did not get around to are installing the plastic trim around the hull joint on the transom, installing new exit pulleys at the mast bottom and replacing my wrong sail number on my new Hyde main. Hyde sent the wrong color replacement numbers and I did not realize it until I removed them from the package today. I also planned on installing new transom scuppers but Catalina Direct does not have the 1 5/8" scuppers any longer. I can not find them on the web either. If anyone has a lead let me know.

Whew, I hope I can enjoy the last three days of my vacation by sailing and not tinkering. If and when we get our 40 footer someones going to get a nice boat with Hoosier Daddy. By the way, when removing the old logo I could make out the previous name by reading the shadow in the get coat. Seems that before "Hoosier Daddy" she was "Swinging It". I would have liked to known the first owner. He must have been quite the guy!

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Glad you finally found a garbage can! That would have driven me crazy.

As to the scuppers: I just eliminated those brass tubes altogether, and made permanent structural holes through the transom. I can post pics of the process if you want. It wasn't very difficult.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Lee and I got the boat in the water yesterday. Winds were brisk at 20-25 knots according to Predict Wind. We sailed under our new Genoa with reefed to first mark (I like those reef stripes). We were making 5.5 knots and really practiced our tacking. We love the new Hyde Genoa. It's a 135 and cut higher than our 150. We can actually see what's ahead now!

Lee went back home yesterday and I tried to sleep on the anchor in the bay. Water and winds were too obnoxious so I moved back to slip. Now I'm back out swinging on the anchor and studying for a work check ride.

Later I'm visiting El Galeon which is tied up around the corner. It's a beautiful period ship. I'll post a pic.

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
A buddy came down Sunday and spent the night on the boat with me. We tied up at the City Marina in Panama City, FL and visited a beautiful Spanish Galeon called El Galeon. Built in 2009 its a pretty close visual replica of an armed merchant ship from the period where Spain dominated the high seas. El Galeon has visited 5 continents with an average crew of 22. Well worth the $10 and in town through next weekend.

We then set sail to the west across the bay until we had a good line on an east passage to Shell Island. It was an hour passage at 5 knots to Shell Island. We had the main reefed and the Genoa fully deployed. Very nice day for sailing on Sunday. I have fallen in love with the 135 Hyde Genoa. Once on anchor I swam over to Shell Island to watch the sunset and see the surf. Afterwards we pan fried some flounder and turned in.

This morning we awoke to fog. Cooked some sausage and made our way back to the dock. A nice three days on the water! All the mods made being aboard more secure and fun. We all agree that Hoosier Daddy looks better and sails better!

Lane

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Lane,
The annual C-22 North Gulf Coast Cruise is right around the corner in your neighborhood in Ft Walton, May 6-13. Hope you and that beautiful boat can make it. If you have some specifica on the bin from Walmart that would help a lot of "new design" owners trying to find a replacement.
Nice work,
Don

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
Lane were you out about early or mid afternoon on Sunday going toward Shell Island? I was out in that area also and a very nice looking sailboat passed by me going in opposite direction, just wondered if that might have been you. I was too busy "hanging on" to read the name.

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
Gene,

I would like to see how you did your scuppers. That is one modification I would really like to make.

greg

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Lane were you out about early or mid afternoon on Sunday going toward Shell Island? I was out in that area also and a very nice looking sailboat passed by me going in opposite direction, just wondered if that might have been you. I was too busy "hanging on" to read the name.
That was me! We left the City Marina and sailed West until the commercial docks. That gave us a SE line straight to the Shell Island anchorage. Were you guys sailing with a jib and no main heading due West? Or were you just off the Tyndall point headed North? That's the two other SV's we saw between 3-5 pm.

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Gene,

I would like to see how you did your scuppers. That is one modification I would really like to make.

greg
Can do. I'll dig up the pictures and start a thread on it.

Lane ... SOMEBODY was still selling the exact brass tubes you were looking for, not more than a year ago. I can't remember if it was Jamestown, WM, iBoats, or Defender, but I'll be durned if I can find them now. There are several plastic scuppers out there, but if yours were drilled as close to the deck as mine are, there's no room for the larger flanges of the plastic models. "Ccrane2299" was able to make use of plastic scuppers on his New Design, but there was no possibility of that on my boat.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
No, my main was full, I did have my jib reefed though (easier solo). I did hit 6.0 according to my gps at some point during the 3 hrs I was out, exhilarating to say the least! I think I might have been out earlier in the day, not sure. I day sail out of the marina at Tyndall.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Here is the container from WalMart that fits into the trash can receptacle on our New Design boats.

Lane