New to Forum: Ask all sailors

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Welcome to the forum, James. So much to think about in these posts. (1) Loss of a partner in life is traumatic and life changing. Best Wishes for continuing your planned project. (2) Charlie Jones s/v Tehani…..A touch of magic! Beautiful work! (3) Fire Diven.....I don't see enough triangles to make me want to work under that set of supports. I see trapezoids! I would also add bracing off the aft support like you have off the forward support. It looks as though the boat could "squat" backwards when you start working under the hull as you remove blocking to lower the centerboard. None of us is strong enough to bench press a boat hull!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think I would be adding outward knee bracing under the diagonals as insurance against the angular forces imparted on the connections.
I totally agree. I would feel uncomfortable working near or under the boat. I would also like to brace against the boat moving fore or aft.

Jan 13, 2019
Lockley Newport 23 Portman Marina
Hey y'all! Thank you very much for the input. Great encouragement and suggestions! Just an update. I spent several hours last night sanding what I thought was to be a bonding compound that was cracked around the base of the "trunk"?...not sure what the correct title is for this part (it houses the hanger cable for the swing keel mechanism which attaches to a line up through the deck and is led back to the cockpit to control the keel position under sail). Anyway as it was questioned if the cement ballast was fiberglass encased. As I was unsure, I went at the sanding and grinding cautiously to get to the bottom of the crack which I did get to the bottom after about an inch was removed. It finally dawned on me that the manufacturer had filled the space between top of the cement ballast encasement for the keel around the base of the "trunk" with some sort of silica/epoxy compound. After seeing many air pockets in this layup, I decided I needed to get rid of these pockets as there were more than likely more under it. Low and behold, I finally worked my way through this silica/epoxy and struck paydirt. I found that the trunk base was fiberglassed into the fiberglass- encased ballast and on first examination, the fiberglass and all looks structurally sound. However, I think I'm going to refill this area by laying-up fiberglass and also increase the structural integrity up the "trunk" with a few more layers of fiberglass and mat...which means I will need to replace the present hanger bolts with slightly longer bolts.
It was mentioned also that I might sell this project boat for what I can get out of it and go ahead and step up in size. Trust me, I would like to do this. But everything to complete the project has already been purchased. So my expenditure now is my time which I'm willing to sacrifice at this point because of the knowledge I'm gaining researching how to do things and exploring the little mysteries that could turn out to be big problems down the road --if not for me but maybe someone else. That is the reason I'm taking pictures of each thing i undertake so that when I sell it, i can show the prospective buyer what was found and the steps i took to corrct it. And if a larger boat is in my future, I'm gainig the expeience that might be needed in an emergency situation knowing what might work and what will not work.
The other part of this is that i am also helping care for a family member who is very elderly and under hospice care in her home. So, i have a 7 hour roundtrip drive once every week or two when i go down to relieve others. Once this situation is over, I'll be in a better position to sell my home and make the jump. But at this time, the boat continues to be my therapy in between the storms and one day I'll sail out of them. In addition, I'm glad that she (my late wife) and I planned what we wanted on the boat ahead of time and bought everything then, otherwise, I would not be able to afford to do this as I am on disability income and unable to work part time to pick up extra cash as I'm needed with the family member at this time. But, things will get better and in due time.
Okay, wasn't trying to unload a sob story here, but just wanted to be up front. Everything is going to plan, I'm happy and my son just graduated university and is applying for a federal job--which makes me very proud--and is just a matter of time before he is doing his thing; and then I'm going to do my thing wherever this life leads me. My plan is to go sailing where I'm needed, to help others and live on my boat and be as self sufficient as possible so I do not burden the ones I'm to help.
So there it is, how I plan to spend the remainder of my days. And I hope to run into y'all somewhere along the way. :) Have a great night all!!

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Good for you. Stay the course. I'm now single, since my lady and i split. Makes a HUGE difference. I'm bit older than you are, but that's just a number

Jan 13, 2019
Lockley Newport 23 Portman Marina
You're right Charlie, age is just a number. I keep thinking I can do things I used to with no problem....then I wake up in the ER!!! Lol I recover, then I look for a smarter way to do it...one that doesn't require injury :)

Aug 9, 2018
Kells 23 Lenoir, NC
You guys are way smarter than I am and whew those were some fancy ways of saying get yourself some more proper bracing on the boat. It's been raining here solid for 2 days but as soon as it breaks, I am heeding your advice and I will get it shored up. I did build this fancy keel cart yesterday so I can remove the keel for inspection. It's actually just cut and placed together I haven't bolted it together yet. I had to go get longer lag bolts. But I won't be on or under the boat until she's properly shored up.
20190118_185710.jpg
20190118_185653.jpg