New swim ladder ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
At the 2012 Seattle boat show, I looked at the sailboat swim ladder progress.

Seems Catalina still has not had a real person in the water

and try to deploy and use there swim ladder......but they did put a handle to hold on tooo.

Maybe just maybe the Catalina 315 will have this changed.

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Aug 17, 2010
Catalina 310 Lake Pueblo
By chance have you shared your swim ladder mod with Catalina? Maybe they could build on that?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Imbbeamer

There is nothing like a real life experiance of a Catalina design member falling

overboard and trying to use the ladder to get back on board alone......the incentive

to make a change is realy great.....who signed off on this design of ladder.....who cares.

I think a swim ladder is one thing and a emergency ladder is another thing....

The Catalina 310 users have some different designs for thier swim ladder, turning it into an

emergency ladder and have pictures of such...........right ?

Aug 17, 2010
Catalina 310 Lake Pueblo
There is nothing like a real life experiance of a Catalina design member falling

overboard and trying to use the ladder to get back on board alone......the incentive
True, I guess if they have fallen overboard they figured out how to get back on. Or they had help.

I have been looking to redo ours for the last couple of summers. More of a reason for us is we dock stern in and the ladder is a hassle!

As with most of your mods, your swim ladder make a lot of sense and is user friendly for both, stern docking and emergency deployment.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
A better ladder design?

I have my original ladder and have thought about going to one of those telescoping as they are kind of nice, but have not wanted to go to the trouble of drilling new holes for something that is not all that better than what I have. I do like my solid ladder, but sometimes it would be nice to not have it in the way of the transom. It would seem to me a better design would be on that bolts onto my existing set up and has slides and a cover so someone in the water could grab it and pull it from the water and the cover so you could step on it without it getting into the way. Thoughts?

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
rpwillia

I will look for the sketch in which I was going to attach the telescoping ladder

to the existing swim ladder brackets....because these brackets are not eaisly removed.

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
On the 42 or 470 group some posted about a kit to put a hinge in the ladder so they could put it up or down with a dink on davits. That would also work for the stern in problem, which I also have.

I was also thinking of replacing the screws that hold the ladder to the hinge with a quick disconnect pin lit some trailer sailors use for their rigging.

Just some other ideas.

Sep 29, 2008
Here is an almost great idea

I am thinking of something like this, but I want it to hook to my existing fittings and have a piece of starboard over the top so you can step on it.

http://shop.catalinaowners.com/prod.php?8580

Wondering if you flip it over, drill 2 holes that match up to the existing/original fittings (assuming the distance between them matches), and then add some L brackets to attach a piece of starboard and you are in business. May also need to cut away some of the L bracket at the end so the ladder could swing all the way over. Guess I need to go measure.

Seems to me it would be at least possible to slide this out if in the water to get back onboard.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
So how would you keep it from scratching the fiberglass after it is deployed?

Sep 29, 2008
Duct Tape?

So how would you keep it from scratching the fiberglass after it is deployed?
Actually, still thinking on this. :D

Dimensions off of the Amazon website

• 2-Step Ladder: Length Folded: 11". Length Extended: 17.75". Width (Outside of Bracket): 10.75". Proof Load: 1190 lbs.
  • 3-Step Ladder: Length Folded: 12.75". Length Extended: 27.5". Width (Outside of Bracket): 10.75". Proof Load: 1190 lbs.
  • 4-Step Ladder: Length Folded: 14.5". Length Extended: 35.5". Width (Outside of Bracket): 10.75". Proof Load: 1190 lbs.
PaulJ's idea to mount it on the bottom of the cover has a lot of merit.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
My original idea picture.........

After 5 coats of marine paint on the 3/4"

marine plywood, the platform seems to

be holding up OK after 3 years.

I leave it in place all year round.

Added finished dimension picture for Dale.

Attachments

Sep 29, 2008
Swim Platform Measurements

Was down at the boat today and measured my swim platform. Here is a picture. Ladder I referenced is 10.75" Wide, it is 21" between the two brackets. Ladder is 11", 12.75" or 14.5" when folded up, bracket is about 8" up. Still thinking it all out.

PaulJ, How wide is the ladder you got?

Attachments

Feb 9, 2010
Undecided 30' Something Oyster Bay, NY
I tip my hat to paulj for redesigning a feature that the original designers should have incorporated from the get go. I'm into the KISS method and was wondering if you modify the existing swim ladder by cutting it in 1/2 and adding a SS tube hinge, would that accomplish the same goal of getting the swim ladder out of the way when you want to board/disembark from the stern? It would also be easier to access the ladder should one fall overboard.

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
I tip my hat to paulj for redesigning a feature that the original designers should have incorporated from the get go. I'm into the KISS method and was wondering if you modify the existing swim ladder by cutting it in 1/2 and adding a SS tube hinge, would that accomplish the same goal of getting the swim ladder out of the way when you want to board/disembark from the stern? It would also be easier to access the ladder should one fall overboard.
there is a catalina 350 at my dock that has a hinged latter so it swings out of the way while at the dock. I have been thinking about doing something similar.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
there is a catalina 350 at my dock that has a hinged latter so it swings out of the way while at the dock. I have been thinking about doing something similar.

:pix:

Sep 29, 2008
iSailor - Don't Feel Bad

It is a cross we all bear. Note I did not call PaulJ out! :snooty:

Mar 28, 2010
Catalina C320 Washington, NC
For those of you with the standard large fold down ladder design that was used by Catalina until the most recent change (i.e. the ladder that paulj shows resting against the dock), you can fix that ladder so that it can be released by a person in the water. I'll describe it, but there is no picture available. (Unfortunately, it does not do anything for letting the ladder down in the slip as illustrated in paulj's photo, but could come in handy in a man overboard if the boat didn't sail away from you).

There are three functions to be done: unlatch the two latches securing the ladder, start the ladder moving towards the water, and retard/control the speed that the ladder approaches the water (don't let it crash down).

On the bottom of the stanchion directly below the latches, on each side, attach to the stanchion a bulls eye line guide (Johnson Marine makes these, perhaps others). In the loop of port side latch, secure a 3/16" nylon line to the top of the latch loop with a small hose clamp. Pass the line down through the bulls eye guide and over towards starboard side, though the starboard bulls eye guide, down towards the water a few inches, through some type of ring (I used a bulls eye guide) back up through the starboard stanchion bulls eye guide up to the starboard ladder latch and secure the end of this line to the starboard latch loop with a small hose clamp. Where the line passed over from port side to starboard side, insert/tie-in a plastic sister hook which will allow disconnecting the line when you want to use the ladder from the top side. On the ring that is in the loop below the starboard stanchion, tie another piece of line and pass it down towards the water. Attach it to the bracket that holds the base of the ladder on the boat. Person in the water can pull this line to unlatch the latches.

On the next to lowest step (when in lowered position), tie a short line with 1/2 of a sister hook pair in it. To this same step, tie a line around the step, pass the line down to a few inches from the water and then back up to the middle push pit rail, once around the rail and then across to the ladder and put the second part of the sister hook pair in its end and connect to the first part of the sister hook pair (again, the sister hooks allow disconnecting to be able to use the ladder from topside. At the bottom point in the this line loop near the water, tie in a second line so it cannot slip. I used polyproplyene since it floats so as to lessen the chance of line getting caught in the prop. Use some velcro to bundle this polypro line and to attach it to the base of the ladder where a person can get it (or place under the lift out seat/ passage area) with a tail going back down to the the attachment bracket of the ladder and tie off. Person in the water then pulls this line free of the velcro out to its full length. At that point, polypro line pulls against the loop of the line to the ladder steps and will get the ladder moving downward. Then, feed the polypro line gradually to allow the ladder to lower at a controlled rate since the line actually attached to the ladder passes around the pushpit middle rail so that it can be easily snubbed to retard the progress of the ladder. (Polypro degrades quickly in direct sun, so change from time to time or take steps to block it from the sun).

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
attached are the photos of the ladder on the Catalina 350. It appears that it has a pin on each side and the ladder separates at the pin. I have seen the ladder before and just 1 pin was pulled and then the ladder just rotates/swings to the side while at the dock. I did not get a picture of this though since the owner was not on the boat.

I really like this idea and need to figure out how to modify my current ladder. Hopefully the owner is there next time I am at the boat.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.