New Sail Sticker Shock

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Precision just gave me a nice package price for main, 110 jib and CDI Furler. I too would like feedback on them. Are they USA?
Precision is not a USA company. They are a Canadian outfit that brokers sails made in Asia. After the factory has sewn enough sails for a shipment, they send them all at once to a USA distribution point, where there are uncrated, then put into domestic delivery services.

I bought a new main for Myrl from them. Since it was my first new sail and I knew so little, I bought their least expensive line, with a few optional features. I'm happy with the quality, but what do I know? Wilson got new sails from Precision this year and her owners are happy with them and will recommend Precision if asked.

I have two recommendations: 1) If you choose to buy from Precision, order now for use next spring. Disregard any lead time estimate; they don't control when the sails gets built or shipped. Myrl's sail was late; Wilson's were timely. 2) If you are into tweaking the sail shape, get the loose-footed mainsail. If you do that, then consider the clew attachment. I had Precision put a slug on the clew, but it does not work well. See this thread: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/attaching-the-main-to-boom.188012/

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
My understanding of FX, for the 'custom made' sails, is that they are US made, utilizing spare capacity in US lofts, in Ohio and Florida. Mine was US made.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
+1 for Hyde Sails Direct. Great service and impressive build quality.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Whatever route you take in replacing sails, measure twice, buy once....
While stock sailplans may work adequately on a number of boats, you can never go wrong in measuring your boat's dimensions prior to ordering any type of sail.

Apr 27, 2015
Hunter 37 Cutter Perth Amboy
I'm buying new sails for my 37C. 110 Jib and main about 4500. Not a bad price for a new SOFT engine.