Attaching the main to boom.

Feb 3, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Lake Thurmond, South Carolina
Have '85 Hunter 25.5 Replaced jib and main halyards yesterday. Put up mains'l yesterday for the first time. It does not appear there is any way to run the foot into the groove in the top of the boom although it has a groove. The line sewn into the sail foot appears to slip out of the groove. So was it designed to just use the outhaul to pull it tight via the clew grommet with the tack grommet fastened to the gooseneck pin. It seems too lame to me to take out and sail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
You have what is called a loose footed main. It's designed that way on purpose to allow you to more easily shape the lower portion of the sail. Go for a sail and have fun.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I'm assuming it has a slug attached at the clew that slides in your track. In that case, it's a loose footed main. So, yes, you attach the outhaul to the clew and the tack to the front of the boom and adjust the shape/depth of the foot with the outhaul tension.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
In addition to the outhaul, a loose footed main needs to be mechanically attached to the boom at the clew. If there is not a single slug at the clew, you need to strap the clew cringle to the boom with a velcro strap. A short sail tie will work in a pinch.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... it has a slug attached at the clew that slides in your track, it's a loose footed main. ....
On my B323 I have the loose-foot. At the aft end of the boom I opened up the track to insert and remove the slug. Come winter I can put sail ties around the sail, put the cover on it, back the clew slug out, undo the tack and I can handle the sail like a big sausage.

Feb 3, 2017
Hunter 25.5 Lake Thurmond, South Carolina
Thank you all for the help. I am almost ready to take her out. Few other things to attend to, but that was the most important question I have had about it.

Nov 8, 2010
Trickle-down.......

All boom-end attachments are becoming straps, including the mainsheet. Here on the VOR65. Look for it in everyday boats in a few years...
Large_0Q8A6444Team Campos VO65Francisco Vignale_2014_ED.jpg

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Trickle-down.......

All boom-end attachments are becoming straps, including the mainsheet. Here on the VOR65. Look for it in everyday boats in a few years...
Interesting.

In the particular case that you show in the photo, is that a carbon fiber boom? If so, then it would make perfect sense to me that a strap would be a good option. Fastener joints are frequently the weak point in hybrid carbon stress members.

I'm not immediately recognizing a similar advantage from using a strap on an aluminum boom. Do you expect the strap trend to expand into more traditional aluminum stress members? Or do you expect aluminum to go the way of the dodo bird? Or am I just missing something?

Nov 8, 2010
Interesting.

In the particular case that you show in the photo, is that a carbon fiber boom? If so, then it would make perfect sense to me that a strap would be a good option. Fastener joints are frequently the weak point in hybrid carbon stress members.

I'm not immediately recognizing a similar advantage from using a strap on an aluminum boom. Do you expect the strap trend to expand into more traditional aluminum stress members? Or do you expect aluminum to go the way of the dodo bird? Or am I just missing something?
Correct, it is a carbon fiber boom.

My comment has more to do with the general trend that is moving from medal fasteners to textile ones. Even on cruising boats like Jeanneau 35 footers, you'll see dyneema soft shackles, dyneema/rings and webbing in place of lbs of stainless.
A 2nd benefit of the loop is that it lowers the top block. Not a huge deal with a 2:1 like on the V65, but this 6 inch dyneema strop saves us 3 feet of suspended mainsheet!

crazyupwind.jpg

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
All boom-end attachments are becoming straps, including the mainsheet
@JD, A simple question: why?

I understand the strap instead of the slug - it makes it much easier to move the clew with the outhaul. But what is the advantage of the strap for the mainsheet attachment? (I am not questioning, just asking).

(I guess I was late with the question; it is already answered)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It's also about ease of use of the hardware. The slug in the slot of the boom is almost an interference fit when the sail is loaded up and makes the outhaul hard to work, reducing it's effectiveness as an available tool for sail shape. With a strap, the off center load that can happen is absorbed by the strap, and it still slides like butter. (and this ain't no carbon fibre racing sled)
img_0159 (1).jpg

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Correct, it is a carbon fiber boom.

My comment has more to do with the general trend that is moving from medal fasteners to textile ones. Even on cruising boats like Jeanneau 35 footers, you'll see dyneema soft shackles, dyneema/rings and webbing in place of lbs of stainless.
A 2nd benefit of the loop is that it lowers the top block. Not a huge deal with a 2:1 like on the V65, but this 6 inch dyneema strop saves us 3 feet of suspended mainsheet!

View attachment 142045
How is that connected to the boom so that it cannot slide fore and aft?

Wondering if such an arrangement might be able to be used in my mid boom mainsheet setup. - Could replace three single blocks with one triple and perhaps let the mainsheet run a little better!

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
This is a benefit that is worth chasing on most sailboats that are out there.

Nov 8, 2010
How is that connected to the boom so that it cannot slide fore and aft?
A short length of webbing is attached to the top of the boom, over the loop.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Trickle-down.......

This setup would have to be evaluated. The constant moving of the boom during the week when nobody is around would introduce a wear factor with the strap moving as the boom moves in the breeze.

Apr 29, 2016
Hunter 27 Atwood Lake, OH
I've a Hunter 27, likely a similar boom. You may be able the get a slide for your boom from RigRite. These are the only photos I have of the slide, one reefed and one full. You can see the top of the slide just below the clew. I would lash your clew similar to my reef line, only closer to the boom and go sailing until you get a slide. Jury-rig (Jerry-rig) is part of the sport!

20170928_174002.jpg 20170604_131103.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
I've a Hunter 27, likely a similar boom. You may be able the get a slide for your boom from RigRite. These are the only photos I have of the slide, one reefed and one full. You can see the top of the slide just below the clew. I would lash your clew similar to my reef line, only closer to the boom and go sailing until you get a slide. Jury-rig (Jerry-rig) is part of the sport!

View attachment 142050 View attachment 142049
Tip for you: don't tie your reefing line to the boom, but loop it around the boom with a loop (bowline) to secure it to itself. This way it will cinch up when tightened and allow the reefing cringle to be pulled tightly to the boom.