New O’day 27 owner and new to this forum

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Lake Hefner!! I spent many hours running around Lake Hefner wishing I was sailing, when I was at the Mike Monroney center. Of course that was years ago, when my knees still worked. The OD 27 is a nice boat, it should serve you well.
Lou

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Lake Hefner!! I spent many hours running around Lake Hefner wishing I was sailing, when I was at the Mike Monroney center. Of course that was years ago, when my knees still worked. The OD 27 is a nice boat, it should serve you well.
Lou
Very neat Lou! We actually live in Bartlesville but don’t mind the drive. I really wanted to go today but it’s just too stinking cold. No relief in the forecast either. :eek:(
Mike

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
You walk on the top sides too! Sometimes you sit on the coach roof. You also furl the sail, etc.

When you paint the top sides darker, makes the cabin a somewhat hotter — although a cored assembly funtions to insulate it from direct transferring it directly through the hull.

Having a black mast and boom can also make working around and on it VERY uncomfortable. You can actually take skin off trying to climb a black mast. They look striking, but....
If he's walking on the "topsides", he likely has some serious problems. Topsides are the portion of the hull above the waterline.

To the OP:
Painting the decks is relatively common, particularly when the fiberglass degraded beyond cleaning, compounding, and waxing. My best bit of advice as you contemplate painting or any project on your new boat is ASK, ASK, ASK on this or other sailboat forums. Even when you think you know the answer, before you drill, sand, paint, remove, adjust, seal, caulk, etc., take a moment to run it by a forum, because when it comes to sailboat maintenance, you don't know what you don't know. I have owned sailboats since the 70's, and thanks to the internet, maintenance is much easier now, if you take advantage of it.

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Thanks Siamese
I painted the v berth with an oil based kilz paint has it wasn’t very nice in there. Was that ok or bad? I need to do one more coat and then I was going to paint white and navy blue stripes on the v birth Wall. Is that ok or bad?
Thanks again
Mike

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You mean a Kilz brand paint that is supposedly mildew resistant and is easier to clean? If that's the case, it should be fine. You're not submersing it.

I'm assuming that it adhered properly to the substrate which you prepped? If you have some question, you might try to wipe it down now before you add another coat, if it seems fine, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I have no opinion on the colors -- except to note a personal preference for adding color with pillows, blankets, and other accessories. Paint it white is fine with me -- I'd avoid the pattering of the paint.

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Yes kilz brand oil based. It seemed to be ok. It’s two hours away and been too cold to go back. I painted it on Friday. The doctor I bought it from went on Sunday to wash off the bird droppings for me said it looks really nice. So he’d notice if it did t stick right?

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Opinions vary on best interior paints, and I'm no expert, but I used the same products many years ago with good results.

You have a couple different kinds of "walls" in the v-berth area. The wall that is the inside of the hull, is actually referred to as the "ceiling", but most will probably recognize it as "inside the hull" in the v-berth area. The wooden walls that are arranged transversely to the hull are "bulkheads", a term that pretty much everyone will recognize (if they don't, you probably don't want their advice). Not trying to be a nitpicker, but the right terms will get you more useful answers.

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Opinions vary on best interior paints, and I'm no expert, but I used the same products many years ago with good results.

You have a couple different kinds of "walls" in the v-berth area. The wall that is the inside of the hull, is actually referred to as the "ceiling", but most will probably recognize it as "inside the hull" in the v-berth area. The wooden walls that are arranged transversely to the hull are "bulkheads", a term that pretty much everyone will recognize (if they don't, you probably don't want their advice). Not trying to be a nitpicker, but the right terms will get you more useful answers.
Well since I’ve only owned a sailboat for a week now and a day I didn’t know about the “walls” official names. I’m doing my best, so if I’m offending anyone with my non knowledge on every single name I do apologize. I’m buying a book that will help me a bit more.
Hope you all have a good new year
Mike

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The wall that is the inside of the hull, is actually referred to as the "ceiling",
Actually, the ceiling inside a boat is called the "overhead." Vertical interior walls are "bulkheads"...any food preparation area big enough to have a sink, countertop and a stovetop is the "galley"... the entire cabin floor is the "sole"...and the bathroom is the "head." That used to be the name for the toilet too, but today it's called a toilet (when you're ready to figure out how that--the whole sanitation system, actually--works and how to make sure it always does, the link in my signature will take you to a comprensive "marine toilets and holding tanks 101" manual, and I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't). Beds are "berths." Outside, the part you walk on is the deck, the part where you can sit down is the cockpit...the top edges of the cockpit are the "gunwhales"--pronounced (and therefore also often misspelled) "gunnels" and the sides of the hull above the waterline are the "topsides."

The following list of definitions are intended to be entertainment only, but as you climb further and further up your learning curve you'll discover the grain of truth in each one that led to its inclusion in the list:

Nautical Definitions
Ahoy
The first in a series of four letter words commonly exchanged by skippers as their boats approach one another
BarLong low lying navigational hazard, usually awash, found at river mouths and harbour entrances, where it is composed of sand or mud, and ashore, where it is made of mahogany or some other dark wood. Sailors can be found in large numbers around both.
Boom A Laterally mounted spar to which a sail is fastened, used during jibing to shift crew members to a fixed, horizontal position.
Bulkhead discomfort suffered by sailors who drink too much
Cabin A cramped, closet like compartment below decks where crew members may be stored – on their sides if large or on end if small – until needed.
CalmSea condition characterised by the simultaneous disappearance of the wind and the last cold beer
Channel Narrow stretch of deep or dredged waterway bordered by buoys or markers that separates two or more grounded boats
CurrentTidal flow that carries a boat away from it desired destination or toward a hazard.
Fitting Out Series of maintenance tasks performed on boats ashore during good weather weekends in spring and summer months to make them ready for winter storage.
Flipper Rubber swimming aid worn on the feet. Usually available in two sizes, 3 and 17
Flotsam Anything floating in the water from which there is no response when an offer of a cocktail is made.
FlukeThe portion of an anchor that digs securely into the bottom: also, any occasion when this happens on the first try.
Galley Ancient: Aspect of seafaring associated with slavery.
Modern: Aspect of seafaring associated with slavery
Gear Generic term for any pieces of boating equipment that can be forgotten in the back-seat or boot of a car, left behind on a pontoon, soaked in the bottom of a dinghy or lost over the side of the boat.
Gimbals Movable mountings often found on shipboards lamps, compasses etc which provide dieting passengers an opportunity to observe the true motions of the ship in relation to them, and thus prevent any recently ingested food from remaining in their digestive systems long enough to be converted into unwanted calories.
Grounding Embarrassing situation in which a sailor returns to shore without leaving his boat.
Hatch An opening in a deck leading to the cabin below with a cover designed to let water in while keeping fresh air out.
Hull speedThe maximum theoretical velocity of a given boat through the water, which is 1.5 times the square root of its waterline length in feet, divided by the distance to port in miles, minus the time in hours to sunset cubed.
Jibe Course change which causes the boom to sweep rapidly across the cockpit; also, frequent type of comment made by observers of this manoeuvre.
Lanyard A light line attached to a small article so that it can be secured somewhere well out of reach.
Leeward The direction in which objects, liquids and other matter may be thrown without risk of re encountering them in the immediate future.
Life jacketAny personal floatation device that will keep an individual who has fallen off a vessel, above water long enough to be run over by it or another rescue craft.
Mizzen The shorter aft mast on a yawl or ketch. Any mast that is no longer there.
Moon Earth’s natural satellite. During periods when it displays a vivid blue colour, sailing conditions are generally favourable.
Motor sailer A hybrid boat that combines the simplicity and reliability of sail power with the calm and serenity of a throbbing engine.
Ocean racing Demanding form of sailing practised by sportsman whose idea of a good time is standing under an ice cold shower, fully clothed while re examining there last meal.
Passage Basically a voyage from point A to point B, interrupted by unexpected landfalls or stopovers at point K, point Q, and point Z.
Pontoon Harbour landing place that goes crack, crunch when hit
Pilotage The art of getting lost in sight of land, as opposed to the distinct and far more complex science of navigation used to get lost in offshore waters.
Port 1. Left on a boat.
2. A place you wish you never left on a boat.
Propeller Underwater winch designed to wind up at high speeds any lines left hanging over the stern.
Radar Extremely realistic kind of electronic game often found on larger sailboats. Players try to avoid colliding with “blips” which represent other sailboats, large container ships and oil tankers.
Regatta Organised sailing competition that pits yours against your opponents’ luck.
Sailing The find art of getting wet and becoming ill while slowly going nowhere at great expense.
Satellite NavigationSophisticated electronic location method that enables sailors to instantly determine the exact latitude and longitude, within just a few feet, anywhere on the surface of the surface of the earth, of whatever it was they just ran aground on.
Single handed sailing The only situation in which the skipper does not immediately blame the crew for every single thing that goes wrong
Tides The rise and fall of ocean waters. There are two tides of interest to mariners: the ebb tide sailors encounter as they attempt to enter port and the flood tide they experience as they try to leave.
Yardarm Horizontal spar mounted in such a way that when viewed from the cockpit, the sun is always over it.

Welcome to the sailboatowners.com community! You'll not only want to hang out in the Oday owners forum, you'll want to check out what's happening the "forums for all owners"...a lot of good info in 'em that applies to all boats.

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Peggy :^))) -- your list didn't include 'Topsides'?

Siamese got me on "topsides" being generally limited to the area above the waterline; and, below the toe rail. I stand corrected -- even though I'm usually sitting when I look over this website. :^))) I've been wrong before, will be again, and don't mind being set straight.

(I protest not, because he's right. However, the Coast Guard, Navy, and others also include that reference in a broader sense because larger ships have superstructures which sometimes include the sides of elevated structures. (Coach roofs are a smaller version thereof. Of course Siamese is correct in this and the general context. Sides are, in our case, of the hull.)

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Thanks
Here is a picture. It needs a new paint job on the top that I will do this spring
Mike, I too am a Mike. I painted my coachroof, cockpit and decks about six years ago. I went with white, I thought about a light grey, but some folks I spoke to said that down here (Houston) the light grey gets too hot to walk on barefoot in the summer. That may be the case for you in OK as well. Congrats and Happy New Year!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ceiling is from wooden boat building and refers to the planks that line the interior of the boat - as in sealing. I'm not sure it that includes the overhead.

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Mike, I too am a Mike. I painted my coachroof, cockpit and decks about six years ago. I went with white, I thought about a light grey, but some folks I spoke to said that down here (Houston) the light grey gets too hot to walk on barefoot in the summer. That may be the case for you in OK as well. Congrats and Happy New Year!
Very nice to meet you Mike. I have a friend who runs a boat building yard in Port Aransas. He said to try and find the original color and paint it that. Does anyone know what the original color was? Thanks all for your time and advise. Going tomorrow to paint the second coat on the v Berth walls. I then am going to paint blue and white stripes. I found a picture on line that looks really nice. I’ll post it below.
Mike

Attachments

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
That looks pretty nice! Do you have that same nice teak bulkhead at the forward end of your v-berth?
Another treatment you might consider for the inner hull walls is to get teak battens and varnish them such as these in my salon. I get tired of the cluttered shelves and wanted something to store loose items in the bow, such as linen, towels, clothes, etc. so I bought these baskets and hang them from the underside of the deck along the v-berth walls. So far, it has been an improvement.

Attachments

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
That looks pretty nice! Do you have that same nice teak bulkhead at the forward end of your v-berth?
Another treatment you might consider for the inner hull walls is to get teak battens and varnish them such as these in my salon. I get tired of the cluttered shelves and wanted something to store loose items in the bow, such as linen, towels, clothes, etc. so I bought these baskets and hang them from the underside of the deck along the v-berth walls. So far, it has been an improvement.
Hi Scott
I have teak board like that as the back of our wide part of the v berth. The forward tip will be for our feet. I was showing the stripe walls how I want to do mine. I am considering buying some of that plasteak teak/Holly flooring. Has anyone done that before. You get it in a roll 6 feet wide by what ever you need.
Thanks for sharing your pictures Scott. She looks awesome! I also notice you called it your “salon”. When does a guy call it salon, saloon, or cabin?
Just wondering.
Thanks again
Mike

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Technically saloon, but these days salon, because saloon conjurs up images of cowboys not sail boats. A lot will depend on how long you plan on keeping the boat. Sometimes undoing something is much more difficult than doing it right. I would pick up a copy of This Old boat, and Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual which will be very helpful in planning the work.
Lou

Dec 24, 2017
O’day 27 Oklahoma City
Thanks! I plan on being in for the long run. (Touch wood)
I like the word cabin personally.