New Flag

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Flying the national ensign properly is a big deal for many. I do not find that the majority know all the protocols thoroughly. I remember when a mast was erected at the recreational marina at Hickam AFB in the 70s the US flag flew properly from the gaff. The base commander got all upset that the flag was not flown from the top. It was explained to him that the convention was that that was the place of honor and the appropriate place for it to fly. He embarrassedly accepted his error. The harbor master then had the gaff removed so that the flag could fly at the top and the commander did not appear so silly. Heard the exact same grumble from two Army Colonels a few years ago, they thought they knew the protocol but had never been exposed to all the other possibilities.

I spent fifty years living and working on Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force Bases was a Cub Scout all the way to Eagle Scout on those bases so I got a pretty good indoctrination into the proper care , display and reverence to our flag. I do feel a little tinge of pain when I see an example of our flag not given it's proper due. Most of the time it is out of ignorance not disrespect and a little education is all that's needed. Flying a Jolly Roger or other pirate flag for an event such as Gasparilla or Bowlegs is just joining in the festivities flying one all year long I find inane and puerile. Personal feelings aside this is America and it's your boat your flag and your freedom to display it however see fit. Just be aware of how it reflects upon you and if you don't mind the whole marina looking at you as an ignorant jackass then follow your bliss.

That turned into quite a rant, all I wanted to say was do what you enjoy. If you fail to follow the standard traditions but it is not done out of disrespect nor malice I am happy to see the flag fly.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Google says it was written by Jimmy Driftwood. It was on the charts in 1959.
Thanks Ron! I grew up with "Johnny Horton's Greatest Hits" album. It was a collection of ballads.

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
This all may be well and fine, but by the same token, there are those of us who fly some seriously coded (code flag) messages from the spreader that, and oddly enough -nobody- has ever asked about.
:worthless:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Read the fine print, Kermit. He didn't say he behaved, so maybe he just didn't get caught . :rolleyes:
I guess he and I aren’t as much alike as I thought. I *NEVER* get away with anything.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
those of us who fly some seriously coded (code flag) messages from the spreader
I fly the international code #8 pennant. Also know as the English flag, or Cross of St. George.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
You would. :) C'mon @Kermit , I haven't been banned in a week. I'm not doing that.
I seriously doubt if more than a few would NK now how to or take the time to decode it. Even then, I suspect you wouldn’t get banned for posting the encoded message photo. Now, if someone decoded the message, and posted that, well, maybe THEY would get banned! Almost be worth a shot!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I seriously doubt if more than a few would NK now how to or take the time to decode it. Even then, I suspect you wouldn’t get banned for posting the encoded message photo. Now, if someone decoded the message, and posted that, well, maybe THEY would get banned! Almost be worth a shot!
One has to be seriously cautious on this site if one wants not to be banned for infringing on the "rules" as determined by the guy in charge.
I apparently broke one, got banned and TWO strikes for the same infraction (3 and it's permanent), before I even knew I'd broken a "rule". No warning, no discussion, no notice; just banned for a month. To this day, I still have no clear idea of why I was banned.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
One has to be seriously cautious on this site if one wants not to be banned for infringing on the "rules" as determined by the guy in charge.
I apparently broke one, got banned and TWO strikes for the same infraction (3 and it's permanent), before I even knew I'd broken a "rule". No warning, no discussion, no notice; just banned for a month. To this day, I still have no clear idea of why I was banned.
I've been given a time-out on SBO exactly once. I know exactly why.

The other guy was truly an idiot! ;^)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've been given a time-out on SBO exactly once. I know exactly why.

The other guy was truly an idiot! ;^)
Spoken like a true racer walking out of the protest room. :D

Maybe next time you'll just do your turns. :biggrin:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There is a popular video game called Assassin's Creed - Black Flag in which you play the part of a pirate meeting such characters, as mentioned in the above article. The story line draws heavily from the book "The Republic of Pirates" and the pirates talk often about their rebellion and the creation of a utopian democratic state. It is a very fun game and the sailing and sword fighting is actually not too bad. It is pretty expansive and you cruise the whole Caribbean, Key West and the Bahamas, even venturing across to Africa.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Interesting article. There are always 2 sides to a story. I'm sure most of the posters here know the story of Captain Kidd who was a respectable business man until the government encouraged to become a privateer. OK he went a bit too far and ended up swinging from a yardarm.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
OK he went a bit too far and ended up swinging from a yardarm.
He swung because he became an embarrassment that the government was no longer in a position to support. They set him up and knocked him down.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There is a popular video game called Assassin's Creed - Black Flag in which you play the part of a pirate meeting such characters, as mentioned in the above article. The story line draws heavily from the book "The Republic of Pirates" and the pirates talk often about their rebellion and the creation of a utopian democratic state. It is a very fun game and the sailing and sword fighting is actually not too bad. It is pretty expansive and you cruise the whole Caribbean, Key West and the Bahamas, even venturing across to Africa.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Get your sailing in any way you can!