Registered users don't see ads

New Boat!

Discussion in 'Catalina 275' started by Snarkhunter, Mar 30, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter

Joined Jul 13, 2017
    7 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 275
    US Annapolis
    I ordered one at the Annapolis Boat Show last fall and have a tentative April 16 delivery date--getting close! It will be hull #42, & my crew were tempted to call it Ultimate Answer (-: But given that I am an apprentice astronomer & a SF fan, and that the hull is gray, I lean towards Lensman (thank you Doc Smith!). Which, given that I am 65, makes for a multi-level pun.

Fortunately, the semester here at UMd keeps me busy enough not to get impatient about finally seeing the boat. Unfortunately, the semester here at UMd keeps me busy enough not to be able to enjoy it for nearly a month after getting it, though I think I can carve out enough time for at least one shake-down sail prior to finals.

More anon,
    Ken

kloudie1 likes this.
  2. JohnVTX

JohnVTX

Joined Jul 14, 2015
    840 posts, 131 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Stillhouse Hollow Marina
    Congrats

3. justsomeguy

justsomeguy

Joined Feb 20, 2011
    6,181 posts, 740 likes
    Island Packet 35
    US Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
    I caught a reference to "The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" there. Was that a part of your intent?

If so, what was the question?

4. SFS

SFS

Joined Aug 18, 2015
    1,432 posts, 422 likes
    Hunter 31
    US Tampa Bay
    "What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?"

Mr. Adams' story is WELL worth a read.

5. Hello Below

Hello Below

Joined May 7, 2012
    495 posts, 33 likes
    Hunter e33
    CA Maple Bay, BC
    If you find time from UMd, over this long weekend, gives us the skinny on this said new acquisition.

6. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter

Joined Jul 13, 2017
    7 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 275
    US Annapolis
    Well, Lensman arrived, was commissioned, and launched May 24. (The name is a triple pun: a lensman is a photographer, could be an astronomer, and given that the hull is gray, the Gray Lensman was the main character in Doc E.E. Smith's 30's-40's space opera series--I should probably home port it in Arisia if you know the series (-: ). Some issues: no cam cleats for the spinnaker sheets, unlike the rigging/deck plan; no 106 genoa even though I am sure I ordered one; apparently the Doyle APC Maxi instead of the RF chute (I think that is the UPS, going by their website) & no RF for the chute, again contrary to what I ordered (I don't think Doyle offers it for the APC). I sent a note to the broker, but he suffered a brain aneurysm and his business partner is not as up on the technical side of the business, so this is going to take a while to straighten out. Meanwhile the weather here in Annapolis has been mostly yucky the whole month of May & is expected to continue this weekend--so we haven't actually set sail as yet. Can't wait!

Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.