Need Source for Universal M-18 Air Filter

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by fjwilsonjr, Jul 13, 2019 at 8:28 PM. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. fjwilsonjr

fjwilsonjr

Joined Jun 5, 2012
    4 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Lake Ouachita, AR
    I need to replace the air filter on my M-18, and I can't find one on any Web site.
    Does anyone know where I can buy one or, ev en better, buy material suitable for making one?
    Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. weekendrken

weekendrken

Joined May 7, 2011
    162 posts, 28 likes
    Catalina 30
    3573 US Lake Norman
    jr

Are you referring to the foam silencer?
    Part no 300429 from your local Westerbeke dealer. You can buy any part online at the Westerbeke website.

Or go to NAPA and match the size up with their small engine parts. I have the NAPA p/n for the M25 etc, but not the M18.
    Or visit your local well-stocked lawn/garden/tractor/mower dealer. Or check at Tractor Supply.
    If you find a larger one you can trim it and tack the ends together w/ contact cement.

3. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    3,317 posts, 447 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA
    A boat is generally a really clean environment, and usually a metal screen is sufficient, mostly to prevent the engine from sucking-in some foreign object that would damage it. The air is generally dust free.

4. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    2,686 posts, 1,270 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    Try Toad for a replacement
    http://www.marinedieseldirect.com

or measure your intake diameter and replace it with a K&N filter - the look and work better than the foam.

5. jviss

jviss

Joined Feb 5, 2004
    3,317 posts, 447 likes
    Tartan 3800
    US Westport, MA
    https://shop.toadmarinesupply.com/ships_store/index.php?p=details&mfc=Universal&sku=300429

Air Filter ( Element / Cleaner )
    Part #300429 from Universal

This genuine Universal air filter / element works on the following Universal engines: M12, M2-12, M-15, 5411, M-18, M3-20, M-30 and M4-30

Our price: $16.60 - each​

My opinion, do without. If you must, and cost is an issue, it looks just like the foam sleeves used on lawn mowers.

If you replace with a K&N "something" you will probably have to give up the silencer; bad idea.

6. weekendrken

weekendrken

Joined May 7, 2011
    162 posts, 28 likes
    Catalina 30
    3573 US Lake Norman
    Jr is yours like the one shown in the parts manual or it it the coffee can type?
    A pic?

NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.