Registered users don't see ads
  1. Kerrymorganandersen

Kerrymorganandersen

Joined Nov 21, 2018
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Skipper 20 Skipper 20
    Salty C Us New orleans
    The ply wood is rotten, do I remove just what I can? Then kill mold as much as I can then glue carpet to ceiling

2. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    2,793 posts, 1,188 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    A little exploratory surgery might yield clearer answers.

Given the high humidity in LA, I'd think about something different for the headliner. Perhaps just clean it up and paint it. Put some nice cedar or cyprus trim on to dress it up. The carpet will be hard to clean and will not dry out all that well.

3. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    2,793 posts, 1,188 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    Looking at the photos again, the plywood around the ports is structural. It helps to stiffen the deck around the port. That will need to be replaced. Something less rot prone would be best. Perhaps some G-10 or Starboard.

Check Mcmaster Carr, Grainger or Fastenal for good prices on either.

4. thinwater

thinwater

Joined Mar 26, 2011
    2,126 posts, 458 likes
    Corsair F-24 MK I
    US Deale, MD
    Not starboard. You can't structurally bond it to anything (there are minor exceptions, not relevant here), and boding adds a LOT of strength.

5. dlochner

dlochner

Joined Jan 11, 2014
    2,793 posts, 1,188 likes
    Sabre 362
    113 US Fair Haven, NY
    @thinwater is correct that Starboard or its relatives can not be easily bonded to anything. So if the plywood by the ports is there to strength the sidewalls of the doghouse, starboard would not be a good choice.

My thinking, not clearly expressed, was about strengthening the space immediately around the port opening. It is likely that the fiberglass sides of the doghouse are thinner than the space between the inside and outside flange of the port. In this case it would act more as a backing plate if it was captured by the mounting bolts. The compression from the mounting bolts would allow the starboard would reduce any flexing of the fiberglass around around the port opening. If this was an offshore boat, then there would be better solutions like adding a sheet of G10 and recutting the port holes.

Making the area around the port cut outs stiffer will reduce flexing and reduce the possibility of leaks, helping to keep the boat drier and less mold and mildew prone.

6. Capt Robbie

Capt Robbie

Joined Jan 24, 2017
    271 posts, 100 likes
    Hunter 34
    Us Red Bank NJ
    Ive used a 50/50 mix of white vinager and hydrogen peroxide in a spry bottle. Works amazing.

7. Kerrymorganandersen

Kerrymorganandersen

Joined Nov 21, 2018
    12 posts, 0 likes
    Skipper 20 Skipper 20
    Salty C Us New orleans
    Thank all of y’all for the advise

8. JetLaggedChef

JetLaggedChef

Joined Jul 9, 2018
    54 posts, 19 likes
    Catalina 25
    US Lake Monroe
    I can't find the Youtube video, but someone made panels for their headliner and attached them with velcro, that way they could easily find and resolve leaks or wiring issues without having to pull down the headliner completely. I thought it was a brilliant idea.

9. Whatfiero1

Whatfiero1

Joined Mar 29, 2017
    220 posts, 40 likes
    Hunter 30t
    US littlecreek
    White Rino liner. Truck bed liner for roof. Just duct tape all wires down in square orderly fashion and role on. No more mold

10. CarlN

CarlN

Joined Jan 4, 2009
    384 posts, 33 likes
    Ketch 55
    US Bristol, RI
    I like the Practical Sailor recipes too. The ingredients have been around for many decades and present minimal health risk. They can all be bought by the pound on Amazon for little money. The strongest, TSP, is approved as a food additive in the EU. Be extremely careful using bleach in a confined space like a boat cabin. I know someone who gave himself permanent bronchitis and respiratory disease after cleaning his bilge with bleach. He had his face close to the access hatch while he scrubbed the bilge and breathed the bleach fumes. It burned his trachea.

11. Ken Cross

Ken Cross

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    1,853 posts, 280 likes
    Hunter 30
    US Everett, WA
    Many people don't realize how little bleach it takes to do the job. Our state health department says one teaspoon per gallon of cool water and you are good for even sanatizing dishes. Even at those levels let it evaporate before eating off them.

Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.