MOB yesterday - analysis

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Not on BlueJ, but on a Capri 25 that was racing. Jodi, Cindy and I were out pleasure sailing during the race. Forecast called for 8-12kts, but we consistently saw 15-20 on the main lake. The 83F day brought out ALL the big powerboats, so there was huge chop on the lake.

On the last downwind of a WL5 course, the bowman of the boat in question (also the owner) went forward for a jibe. While jibing the pole, the boat was hit by a very large wave that violently rocked the boat. He lost balance and fell backward, still holding the pole. He grabbed on tight, expecting the topping lift to catch and hold him, but it either broke or was not secured at the time.

Rolling backwards into the water, he brought the pole and guy with him, which wrapped around him. While tangled up in the guy the boat sailed OVER him, and he came out on the other side, between the keel and rudder. They pulled him up, untangled him, and kept going without stopping. As it was the last downwind, it didn't matter that the spin gear was in shambles, so they finished the race.

Thoughts? Questions? Observations?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
1. PFD?
2. Doubtful that topping lift parted. Might have been cleated on a cam cleat or some such, or not secured as you say. Not good.
3. Owner presumably best sailor really shouldn't be on the foredeck handing sails in rough conditions.
4. Woulda been nice if the cockpit had alerted him to the oncoming wave.
5. He was very, very lucky that he survived the "keel hauling".

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Dragging an MOB through the water is a risky proposition, the boat should have been put "on irons" immediately.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
An end-for-end jibe w/the topping lift not secure? Could hardly even attempt that on our boat w/o the tp. Short handed?

Nov 8, 2010
An end-for-end jibe w/the topping lift not secure? Could hardly even attempt that on our boat w/o the tp. Short handed?
Exactly. Normally you don't touch the topper during an end-to-end jibe. They were 6 on board, so full crew.

Nov 8, 2010
Dragging an MOB through the water is a risky proposition, the boat should have been put "on irons" immediately.
I can't say for certain that they didn't luff up during the recovery.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Sometimes those snap shackles that people use get caught on something and open unexpectedly. It's happened to me, but not in that particular situation. If he's falling backwards and the tp-lift shackle scraps the shroud just right, it might open if not taped over.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
1. PFD?
2. Doubtful that topping lift parted. Might have been cleated on a cam cleat or some such, or not secured as you say. Not good.
3. Owner presumably best sailor really shouldn't be on the foredeck handing sails in rough conditions.
4. Woulda been nice if the cockpit had alerted him to the oncoming wave.
5. He was very, very lucky that he survived the "keel hauling".
1- No, as the RC was not flying the lifejacket flag, personal choice or skippers orders. Seeing he was the owner......
2- As discussed agree
3- Not sure of crew rotation, sundays usually every boat has a fill-in crew-member.
4- TOTALLY agree. We always call waves.
5- Yep. I talked to him after the race. Pretty shaken up.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Pretty shaken up.
That is to be expected. Will be interesting to observe how the experience affects his sailing procedures in the next couple of weeks.
First order of business is to get back on the horse and race again soon.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Thanks for posting. Some good reminders to take from the story. As said above, calling waves is a very good idea. Sometimes though if there's both wind driven chop and powerboat wakes it can be hard to predict when the boat will go in a strange direction. Not sure a PFD would have helped in this situation. If anything it might have just made bouncing under the boat more impactful. Had the crew not been able to quickly retrieve him a PFD may have been his only hope, given that he was tangled and weighed down by the pole.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Sometimes those snap shackles that people use get caught on something and open unexpectedly.
Funny you should mention that now. Yesterday, GF and I were out for a day sail when I noticed the top lifeline drooping and the forward end over the side. Apparently a sheet had caught the pelican hook and opened it. Never in a lifetime of sailing did I ever imagine that could happen. Luckily, no one was leaning on it at the time. Do need to tape those.

Nov 8, 2010
Funny you should mention that now. Yesterday, GF and I were out for a day sail when I noticed the top lifeline drooping and the forward end over the side. Apparently a sheet had caught the pelican hook and opened it. Never in a lifetime of sailing did I ever imagine that could happen. Luckily, no one was leaning on it at the time. Do need to tape those.
It happens! While the ISAF OFFSHORE SPECIAL REGULATIONS allow for a bona-fide gate, they REALLY suggest continuous lifelines from pulpit to pulpit - most offshore raceboats come this way.

And if you have a gate. It being open cannot slacken or lower the integrity of the rest of the lifeline.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I think that guy needs to find a younger & more nimble deck monkey to rig his chute.

Getting dragged under the boat, while wrapped up in a line, is a life threatening event. This situation was as serious as a heart attack.

Oct 22, 2014
Surprise no one asked about one of these:
I thought we all decided to go out and procure a couple of those for our boat the last discussion. Was I the only one to act upon the mandate?
What’s this forum coming to?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
That's a new one.

I'm not sure there is a plan for that. I'm also not convinced a PFD would help; it could just as easily have hung him up under the boat. There are reasons folks are trained NEVER to inflate in a plane or chopper.

Wouldn't the pole float? Everyone I have used was sealed and very light. There was nothing "weighing him down."

Nov 8, 2010
That's a new one.

I'm not sure there is a plan for that. I'm also not convinced a PFD would help; it could just as easily have hung him up under the boat. There are reasons folks are trained NEVER to inflate in a plane or chopper.

Wouldn't the pole float? Everyone I have used was sealed and very light. There was nothing "weighing him down."
Indeed I think an inflatable PFD might have made it worse. A foam dinghy-style probably would have helped. The pole came out of his hands when he hit the water. He went under because he fell in. Then the boat when over him.

Nov 8, 2010
This is the kinda chop that was the order of the day. Trains of these things would almost stop you. When you ran into sets that were meeting, watch out.

chop.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Looks like a quiet day on the Juan D' Fuca or Haro Straits.

Except with out the pretty blonds.