Mast safety check

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
When we purchased our boat 14 years ago and I secured the shrouds to the spreader tip with monel wire, as is the only way to do it with the tips that came with the spreaders, I couldn't see any reason for boots that go over the ends. I simply bent the ends of the wire back towards the spreader and wrapped the tip with tape, leaving the shroud and the wire that secured the shroud to the tip exposed at the end. It is perfectly smooth and there are no sharp edges or wire ends to catch. I never had any problem with chafe for the 11 years that it was done like this. Now, the rigger at our marina put spreader boots on the ends and I haven't objected, never being there when it is done. But I also don't know what the securement looks like underneath the boots since I haven't looked. This makes me second guess not being in control about how it's done. I don't like the boots, never did, and would prefer not to use them.
I'd prefer to use that attachment shown in the picture. My spreaders are elliptical shaped, similar to what is shown in the photo. I'd also like to know if it can be a retrofit, or if new spreaders can simply be obtained.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If I could ask a newbie question. How do you check tension on the forestay with a roller furler installed? I have Loos tension gauges. Do you have to completely remove the furling setup to get a measurement on the stay?
Don't worry about the forestay tension, just get it to the right length, and tension the backstay.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
What a timely post. Last weekend was one of the premier regattas on the Gulf coast, the Challenge Cup contested by yacht club teams from New Orleans to Pensacola, held this year in the waters off Gulfport MS. With some 35 PHRF boats attending, 2 rigs went down in breeze not over 15 kt and 2-4 foot waves. Sorry, no details on the failures.