Marina

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
What insight I'd like to garner from this topic is what those of you who are far away from your boat actually have in place to attend to things that can, and unexpectedly do, go off the rails.
I think the answer is, "who is going to look after the boat in between trips?" I would have no trouble leaving a boat in my marina for an extended time period,* because the marina staff watches after boats and takes action to protect them. And during storms the other boaters pitch in and help out with securing boats and letting owners know of problems. There are other marinas I would not trust to look after my boat in my absence.

For example, one day I got a short video clip of my boat from the manager, he wanted to know why my bilge pump was running so long and should he do something about it. I told him not to worry, it was my water cooled refrigeration.

*Well, I would leave my boat there for long periods of time if it wasn't for that ice issue.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
lives 800+ miles away
I hate to judge people, I really do. But if you want to go sailing and own a sailboat, then it's best to either find a place within two hours of your location, or move somewhere that allows a similar or shorter proximity. 800 miles is a very long way to travel just to sail a boat, and I really don't see how they're going to be able to maintain the vessel and oversee its wellbeing from such a long distance. Now, for me, I only live an hour or so away from my boat (it's Houston, it could take up to three hours depending on traffic). This allows us plenty of time to get down to Kemah and tie the boat up/prepare her for a storm or flood, or work on her in a timely manner. Typically, if something terribly wrong happens with the boat, our marina has employees who are assigned to oversee the status of the vessels on the docks and relay to their owners any serious issues, should one occur. For example, a friend of mine owns a Hunter 34, and received an email from our marina notifying him that his boat was leaking oil, and he would be fined for the leak and be kicked out of the marina if he didn't fix the problem within a week. I'm not sure if other marinas enforce this same practice, but if your friends could find one that does, I believe it would be most suitable.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Personally I like it, but it doesn't help the original question (which is somewhat loaded, as they say) the individual looking at purchasing said boat lives 800+ miles away. What insight I'd like to garner from this topic is what those of you who are far away from your boat actually have in place to attend to things that can, and unexpectedly do, go off the rails.
I once thought of buying a boat 1000 miles away with the thought of using it as a condo. That was before I actually bought one locally and glad I did't buy the other. As you probably know, more time is spent maintaining and upgrading a boat then actually sailing it. Your friend will travel 800 miles to sail his boat and find out his batteries are dead or the bottom needs cleaning. I would not buy or keep a boat 800 miles away.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I once thought of buying a boat 1000 miles away with the thought of using it as a condo. That was before I actually bought one locally and glad I did't buy the other. As you probably know, more time is spent maintaining and upgrading a boat then actually sailing it. Your friend will travel 800 miles to sail his boat and find out his batteries are dead or the bottom needs cleaning. I would not buy or keep a boat 800 miles away.
That brings up a good point, for how long does the person want to live away from his boat? If this is part of a bigger plan to eventually move closer to the boat, then it might be reasonable for a few years.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If that's part of the plan, then I'd still refer anybody back to the very early commentary. There are boats for sale all the time. Running out and buying one today, when the intent is maybe to move in a few years. If you run a purchase today up against a cost/benefit exercise, no matter how you slice it, the return is a result of "charter now, buy later".

Is the cost model based on, "I have this boat" while disregarding the cleaning, bottom paint, degradation, security, lack of use and all the other myriad of factors that will inevitably get in the way, then it's not a very viable model and it probably won't end well, in my opinion..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your question explores two paths, both with costs.
  1. Purchase Option - You could buy a (transition) boat - cheap.
    1. Locate it in a great sailing cruising area (Salish Sea).
    2. Pay marina costs
    3. Drive the 800 miles to play with it.
    4. Build your sailing and navigation resume
    5. Sell said boat to buy your dream live on boat.
  2. Or you could choose the Charter Option
    1. Take classes to qualify to charter - not cheap
    2. Charter the boat and build your sailing experience - not cheap
    3. Buy your dream live on boat.
I looked at both options. And decided the costs were pretty similar in operation but the sale of the “Transition boat” helped to reduce the overall costs of the purchase option over the Charter option.

There are the intangibles such as pride of personal boat ownership (you’ll spend too much on the bling you outfit the boat with), the feeling of I can come and go with the MY boat on your schedule, the weather which can impact your charter or ownership plans, The limits to where you can sail (charters sometimes have defined areas - where as “your boat your rules”).

Your question is filled with personal priorities that need to be considered. Such priorities will sway the choice.

Aug 1, 2011
Agreed. I suggested that he forgo the "coast boat" for now, buy a nice 28mkii here, use it every weekend for the 8 good weekends we have here, and charter at the coast in the interim until there's a for sale sign on the front lawn.

My take is that a boat 800 miles away is not going to get used that often.

Oct 22, 2014
Good guess.. Unless, the owner also owns a Lear and can make the trip in about 2 hours. Then it might be a weekend boat.

Aug 1, 2011
Flair airlines has cheap flights into Abbotsford. Big deal. You take a bag of popcorn, they charge you. How you gonna deal with tools or parts?
Simple, you’re not.

Oct 22, 2014
Tools on the boat. Parts are cheaper in in BC. Lower transit cost from China.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
If that's part of the plan, then I'd still refer anybody back to the very early commentary. There are boats for sale all the time. Running out and buying one today, when the intent is maybe to move in a few years. If you run a purchase today up against a cost/benefit exercise, no matter how you slice it, the return is a result of "charter now, buy later".

Is the cost model based on, "I have this boat" while disregarding the cleaning, bottom paint, degradation, security, lack of use and all the other myriad of factors that will inevitably get in the way, then it's not a very viable model and it probably won't end well, in my opinion..
I think your placing to much emphasis on cost. Boating isn’t so much about cost. When you own, your a bit more confident you’ll return without incident. It’s set up the way you want and ready to go when you are.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I got a great idea for you!!
Become your Marina's manager!!
I worked with someone who did just that. He built a boat, retired and now works at the marina where he keeps his boat.
I'm toying with the idea of buying a boat further away. I'm struggling enough with the idea of only a 2 hour drive, not 800 miles :eek:. I'm spoiled now with the boat 20 minutes from home and I sail or at least check on it once or twice a week. The allure of the better cruising grounds is very enticing even if it's only every couple of weeks. Of course, the friend mentioned above works at one of the marinas I'm considering so that helps.
There is a big difference between chartering and owning a boat. I just feel more comfortable on my own boat, know how she handles, understand her idiosyncrasies and quirks and learn how to work with them. It's kind of like the difference between prostitution and marriage :pimp:

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
It's always surprising to walk the marinas out here and see how many boats are registered in Calgary or Edmonton. I think lots of people make the trek to the good cruising areas.

Aug 1, 2011
Or they need their heads examined. :) Maybe in the day when Wardair had flights for $49.00, but not these days.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Maybe in the day when Wardair had flights for $49.00, but not these days.
You couldn't taxi to the end of the runway for $49 today. But we still see lots of boats from Alberta out there every summer. Maybe they've got a time share going?

Aug 1, 2011
Then again, who spent a zillion hours on his trailer to get it rigged to go to Ralph’s marina? I could have chartered for less, but that’s not the whole point of the deal. Ha ha

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You couldn't taxi to the end of the runway for $49 today. But we still see lots of boats from Alberta out there every summer. Maybe they've got a time share going?
My experience in Maple Bay is that they come for extended good weather sailing and head north or south. Some stay on their boat and either take off or sit albeit with local cruises to avoid the liveaboard nonsense. More like a summer cottage, and not one of the mansions we see these days. :) Some large vessels, too.