Making Your Own Battery Cables

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Preface: To avoid the usual onslaught by the tight wads in the sailing community, for my suggestion of yet another expensive tool, I have researched the following for you.;)

Genuinedealz.com (LINK) will fabricate battery cables to your spec for $1.00 per crimp plus the wire and supplies. You can stop reading here if that is a route you are comfortable going. This is actually a very, very good deal.

For those of you who prefer the ability to do your own stuff, where & when you want please read on..

Battery cables are not mysterious nor difficult or complicated to make but considering the prices folks charge for pre-made and custom sizes you'd think you were buying a rocket booster tank for the Space Shuttle. There are some who even charge $14.00 per crimp + $6.00 to $14.00 per foot for battery cable depending upon the gauge...

In the last ten years I have owned many boats, too many. I don't plan to not be a sailor or boat anytime soon either. This is why I don't quibble over the cost of the proper tools for the job. Yes I paid about $150.00 for my battery crimpers but the cost per crimp that they have now done is under $0.35 per crimp at the face value I paid for them. If I were to have been paying someone locally to do these crimps, & make me cables, the cost I paid for them would have been eaten up in just one battery bank job. So if you figure I have re-wired at least seven different battery banks & boats with them they have been a lot more than free at this point.

I'll be perfectly honest here and say that I think the price for the Ancor hammer crimper pictured below is MUCH more offensive than the FTZ crimpers I own. If that Ancor tool sold for $15.00 it would be a good deal but it sells for $80.00 and that is Defender's price.

While the Ancor crimper makes an ok crimp it is not one I feel comfortable with personally so these instructions are based on the FTZ crimper. If you use the Ancor I do recommend using a vice to make the crimp with as opposed to a hammer, but this is not to say a hammer won't work.

Yes I own both the Ancor hammer crimper and the FTZ 94285. The FTZ 94285 makes a beautiful compression crimp that is very, very solid. A full 360 degree compression crimp makes a truly cold formed connection between the wire and the lug and that is why I use it.

As I always say tools are free if you DIY!

Genuinedealz.com (LINK) sells the FTZ 94285 crimper for $231.25. I am working on another source for tool this and will provide that info as soon as I have the details.

Edit: I found the source & part number:

K.L. Jack in Portland, ME is a local fastener wholesaler/distributor. They sell the FTZ crimper for 149.99. The K.L. Jack part number for this crimp tool is ET50116 and their phone number is 1-800-639-8805. They will ship anywhere..

Genuinedealz.com also sells a similar 2GA wire to what I used in this post for $2.31 per foot! Their marine wire is made by Pacer and mine by Berkshire but it is all made to the UL 1426 spec just as Ancor is..

I actually have another source for my wire but Genuinedealz.com is a very, very good deal. The money you save in wire alone, when compared to buying it from a chandlery, will nearly buy the good FTZ crimper!!

As of 3-01-09 chandlery pricing for 2GA battery cable per ft is:

2 GA Battery Cable
West Marine = $6.59
Defender = $6.99
Hamilton Marine = $6.03
Genuinedealz.com = $2.31(NOT Ancor)

On a 30 feet of battery cable that is roughly a $140.00 dollar savings alone.

When you figure that an Ancor hammer crimper would cost you nearly $80.00 and the cost savings in battery cable from Genuinedealz.com is so HUGE that the high quality crimper is nearly no additional expense.:confused: This is man math at its best.:D Do not run this scenario by your spouse.. ;) Plus you can always split the crimper with a buddy or sell it here when you are done with it! Remember these cables run the highest amperage's on your boat.

This battery lug is the wrong size for this starter terminal post and is too big.

This lug is the correct size for this stud. You should strive to use the proper size lug for the terminal post..

Not all battery lugs are created equal. The one on the left was purchased at an auto parts store and is cheap, thin & un-tinned copper. The lug on the right is made by FTZ Industries, generally higher quality than Ancor, and is thick tin plated copper. This FTZ lug is a solid connector with no voids what so ever.

In just this one photo we have; non adhesive lined heat shrink, non-tinned wire, wire stranding for battery cable that does not meet the UL Marine spec for number of strands, oxidation already beginning, too much exposed copper from the wire stripping and a rather poorly executed hammer type crimp.
While this fitting did and does work the question would be for how long, and when, not if, would it have let you down? It should be noted that this cable was only two seasons old, located in a very dry area of the vessel and yet already beginning to oxidize

To strip the battery cable simply close the wire cutters around the jacket and make a circle. Do not press to hard or you will damage wire strands. If you look closely you can see that none of them have been cut. There are many ways to strip battery cable I just find this one, with a little practice, to be the quickest and easiest.
My only suggestion here is to use proper wire cutters similar to the ones pictured. In this photo I've chosen to use my Klein High-Leverage Cable Cutter's Part No. 63050. They cost about $20.00 at Home Depot. Chanel-Lock also makes a set that are slightly less money but nowhere near as accurate. Klein Tools are fairly high quality and will hold an edge for a long time when compared to products like Chanel Lock. The right tool, for the right job, is always well worth the expense!

Using a set of Diagonal Cut Pliers or "Dykes" as they are normally called will not make as clean or as nice a cut, or strip, as a good set of cable cutters will.

This is an incorrect fit. In this photo I have stripped the wire and inserted it until it bottomed out in the lug. It's always easier to strip off more than you need and then cut to length. I went a little overboard here for illustrative purposes..

Here I have trimmed some of the wire off, with my Klein cutters, and re-inserted it. The fit is now ready to be crimped

This is more of a good tip than anything. Depending upon your battery lug and wire size a 3/4 inch adhesive lined heat shrink tube may not fit over the crimped lug. Simply install it over the wire before you make the crimp. I usually cut my heat shrink to about two inches long.

This is the head of the FTZ lug crimper. As you can see it compresses the lug in a circumferential manner (360 degrees) making the entire lug smaller and creating a true cold formed connection between wire and lug. Proper crimps lead to little to no resistance. A poor crimp can be a point of resistance and heat generation.

You can see the die heads have letters marking them. Each of these heads rotates and there are dies for many sizes of lugs.

Industry standardized crimpers like the Amp Rota-Crimp and the FTZ have the die settings and the number of crimps required stamped on the crimp tool themselves. When you use quality lugs like those by FTZ they too have all the information clearly marked on them as well.

This FTZ Industries battery lug is industry standard pink color code for # 1 & 2 ga wire and is embossed with the letters H-H.

This H-H embossing tells you the correct dies to use when crimping with professional quality crimpers. The industry standard crimper for battery lugs is the AMP Rota-Crimp (LINK) tool. Unfortunately this tool costs well over $500.00. FTZ has their own tool, which is significantly less money, yet uses the same rotating die standard with the same letter codes as the AMP tool.

As you can see in the photo there are two positions separated by pink stripes where your crimp tool is to make two separate crimps. In the picture I am in the first crimp position..

This image shows the actual crimp and the locations to crimp on the lug.

When heat shrinking battery cable it is always best to use an adhesive lined product designed for heavy duty use. By doing so you create a hermetically sealed connection that will allow no water or moisture to corrode or damage the crimped fitting.

You also need to ensure that the adhesive melts out of the ends of the shrunk connection. If you do not see the glue leaking out, as you do in this photo, continue with your heat gun until you do. Remember heat evenly!

The finished product !

Good luck!!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Second This Source

I used them last year for a house bank re-wire. Best deal around by far and quality stuff.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Re: Making Your Own Battery Cables (Long)

Good post, MS. To avoid cutting strands, I use the rope cutting blade in my soldering gun, heat the insulation all the way around, and no broken strands. I also like to use three pieces of heat shrink, a one inch, a two, a three.

Last edited:

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.

Very well done!! Thank you. I have never been too impressed with even high quality jumper cables for cars and they would certainly be too short for boats. I have often thought that welding cables would be about the right size.

Feb 6, 1998
Wire size

I have often thought that welding cables would be about the right size.
To figure out the size cable you need get the KW rating off your starter then convert that to amps. This is usually your highest load. I usually add at least 25 amps to this number as a margin of safety..

Use this wire gauge calculator and punch in your amps, round trip cable length and allowable voltage drop..

Boat Wire Calculator (LINK)

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Wire size

I understand that. I was thinking about jumper cables for trucks where you can't get less than 30 feet between batteries. ;)

Oct 2, 2008
Hunter 420 cheseapeake
WM usually has a bench mounted crimper in the store you can use. I have made up battery cables riight there in the store, everything needed is right there.

Feb 6, 1998
WM usually has a bench mounted crimper in the store you can use. I have made up battery cables riight there in the store, everything needed is right there.
Pete,

Be sure it's a battery lug crimping tool and not a swaging tool for oval swages.

Almost every WM I have been in has a bench mounted swaging tool but not a battery lug crimper. If your has one that's very cool!! You should not use the swaging toll for making crimps as the dies are not the proper sizes for this.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada

And again perfect timing. I'm in the middle of organizing replacing batteries which will mean several new cables.
I thank you sir.

Anyone that is interested in the Battery Lug Crimper, here's one for $50 US in Canada and they will ship to US.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay

Maine Sail—

Just as an FYI, there's a pretty good battery lug crimping tool available at Toolfetch, which I own and have recommended to many people.

Photo courtesy of toolfetch.com, click to see item there.

It is very good and about $150, and handles wire from 8AWG to 4/0 AWG. It also imprints the die size into the lug for future reference.

Feb 6, 1998
Maine Sail—

Just as an FYI, there's a pretty good battery lug crimping tool available at Toolfetch, which I own and have recommended to many people.

Photo courtesy of toolfetch.com, click to see item there.

It is very good and about $150, and handles wire from 8AWG to 4/0 AWG. It also imprints the die size into the lug for future reference.

Dog,

I was going to add that tool to my post but could not ascertain if it used the industry standard dies and letters to match the lugs like the Amp Rota-Crimp or the FTZ do?

Does your tool say to use the "H" die for a #1-2 lug?

Can you possibly post some high res images of that head? I would hate to recommend a tool that could lead to confusion of which dies to use for the correct crimp and toolfetch.com is light on technical info...?

Jan 2, 2009
beneteau 323 Riverside NJ
Way to be main sail, I mean that. Thanks for sharing that information and the way it's done. The photos with the captions were great!

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Battery Lug Crimper

Great Tip:

Excellent advice regarding prep and materials. However, I blanched at spending $150 for a first class crimper. I found a cheaper alternative and am very satisfied with the result. I used a hammer style battery lug crimper. One or two solid hammer blows and the terminal is crimped. Can also be used with a vice. Designed to crimp solderless connectors sizes 8 gauge through 4/0 gauge.

Assuming you follow all the excellent advice in this thread, I think this is a reasonable alternative for those of us who seldom have to work with large size lugs. In the five years since I first used it, I've only needed it for one other small job and the crimps are still like new. About $30.00. Google "Hammer Style Battery Lug Crimper"

Attachments

Jan 2, 2009
beneteau 323 Riverside NJ
maine sail, another big question for you. Forgive me, I might be a little dumb, but how can Genuinedealz.com be so much less expensive, all knowing that Defender and West Marine can be high price sellers.

Have you purchased wire from them?
Are you satisfied with the quality?

And if Genuinedealz is for real, we owe you a big thank you for so kindly sharing your source of supply with us.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
And again perfect timing. I'm in the middle of organizing replacing batteries which will mean several new cables.
I thank you sir. Anyone that is interested in the Battery Lug Crimper, here's one for $50 US in Canada and they will ship to US.
That's a great $30/40 savings. I use this tool with a no-bounce (shot-filled) hammer and get easy and good results. I added a third battery, battery switch, inverter, windlass, so the tool has paid for itself a couple times over.

Hogan

Aug 28, 2007
Hunter 260 Bay Springs, Ms
Tight Wad Sailors???

Surely you are not referring to our wise frugal value-appreciative conservative group in that statement. Only kidding. This is one of the most descriptive, well thought out articles I have seen on any forum, web wide. Would be a good one to copy as a reference for the future. Thanks
Hogan

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
The dies on this tool are numbered, not lettered. I'll take some photos of it next time I'm down at the boat, since it's aboard, and post them. It does have a table that indicates which dies are sized for what size wire. One thing I like about the design is that it uses two plates that the dies lock against to carry the load of crimping, so there isn't much stress on the axle the dies rotate around.

Dog,

I was going to add that tool to my post but could not ascertain if it used the industry standard dies and letters to match the lugs like the Amp Rota-Crimp or the FTZ do?

Does your tool say to use the "H" die for a #1-2 lug?

Can you possibly post some high res images of that head? I would hate to recommend a tool that could lead to confusion of which dies to use for the correct crimp and toolfetch.com is light on technical info...?

Feb 6, 1998
maine sail, another big question for you. Forgive me, I might be a little dumb, but how can Genuinedealz.com be so much less expensive, all knowing that Defender and West Marine can be high price sellers.

Have you purchased wire from them?
Are you satisfied with the quality?

And if Genuinedealz is for real, we owe you a big thank you for so kindly sharing your source of supply with us.

Because they don't bend over to Ancor like most chandleries do. The battery cable and NON Ancor wire they sell is not Ancor but it meets all the same specs. There are OTHER makers of marine wire out there beside Ancor. I use Berkshire wire exclusively and it's actually a nicer cable with a more flexible jacket. It's also made in the USA right in MA.

This has more to do with Marinco's (parent company of Ancor) pricing structure and packaging of brands than the wire. If a dealer does not choose to stock the Ancor line of wire and also the crimp products for example they (Marinco) yank the discount structure on Marinco and other the other lines under the Marinco umbrella.

They are like an 800 pound Gorilla and strong arm distributors. All the balme however can not be placed on Marinco as the chandleries take the easy way out and buy from them because it's a one stop shop for them for all needs electrical. Unfortunately due to the shere lazyness of a few purchasing agents we the cunsumer get raped!

Why else do you now only see Ancor wire in places like Hamilton a chandlery who used to carry other brands of marine wire (Cobra) for about 1/3 the price. This is due to strong arm tactics!

Ancor is ABSURDLY over priced!

As of 2-28-09 chandlery pricing for 2GA battery cable per ft is:

2 GA Battery Cable
West Marine = $6.59 (Ancor)
Defender = $6.99 (Ancor)
Hamilton Marine = $6.03 (Ancor)
Genuinedealz.com $2.31 (NOT Ancor)

I pay $1.79 per foot for 2 GA Berkshire wire! Berkshire is made in the USA, generally of better quality than Ancor, and can still sell it for MASSIVELY less than what chandleries who bend over to Ancor can..

Between my price of $1.79 per foot and Defender's current pricing on Ancor of $6.99 that is a mark up of 390% !!!!! At the price available from Genuinedealz.com that mark up is still a 300% mark up!

Avoid buying Ancor at all costs as there ARE alternatives. We the boating public have been getting raped for years!! A 10-30-% difference in mark up is one thing but a nearly 400% difference is just offensive!

Just my .02, and sorry for the rant, but I'm fed up seeing the boating public getting screwed over by Marinco/Ancor...

There are many satisfied boaters on many forums who have purchased from genuinedealz.com. I have not as I get an even better price...;)

There are a number of marine UL 1426 marine wire makers other than Ancor.

Pacer Marine
- What genuinedealz.com sells
Berkshire Electric Cable Company
Cobra Wire & Cable Company

If you look and find a source you'll never pay the exorbitantly high prices of Ancor again. Call any of these manufacturers and ask for a local distributor or the number of the rep who can steer you to a re-seller..

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay

While I would be the first to agree that having, and using, the correct tool for a job is always best, the questions in my mind would be how often do you use it, how much does it cost, and what are "suitable" alternatives. I could just not justify spending over $100 on a tool that I only may use infrequently. In over 30 years of sailing, I have only needed to replace battery cables twice (and in the latter case, I'm not really sure the change was needed). In both cases, I bought the right quage wire, lugs, and adhesive shrink sleeves. In both cases, I crimped the lugs in a bench vise. Afterward, I used my full weight to test the strength of the crimps. I then used a DVOM to test the ability of the crimps to pass voltage. I also tested impedence. These cable passed my tests with flying colors. While I no longer own those boats, I feel certain the battery cables I installed in them are still doing the job. Yet, I have to admit that if had a friend who owned epensive battery crimpers, I would have bought him a beer and borrowed his crimpers....

Oct 10, 2008
Catalina 445 Yorktown

Thanks for a great article and the photos of what makes a great lug fitting. I've been using Genuinedealz.com for some time. They're fast, efficient, cost effective and the most helpful people to talk to and get straight answers. Their Pacer Marine wire meets all USCG and ABYC specs - so why does anyone continue to use the outrageous prices of Ancor wire? I've also gotten Ancor wire from them - at Pacer prices! Do yourself a favor next time you need wire and check them out. They built new battery cables for me - a 20 ft run for my new gen-set and I received the best built cables out there.