Lost at sea for 5 months...

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Or like everything from the tsunami, it'll wind up in Tofino.

Aug 3, 2005
Currently boatless - Eastern Seaboard
This whole story is unraveling. As it turns out, they had an EPIRB on board. They didn't set it off. The only thing I don't get about this story is the point of hoaxing such a thing.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
This, from foxnews.com Holes emerge in Hawaii women's tale of survival in the Pacific | Fox News raises some questions:
"The pair said they thought about turning back, but the islands of Maui and Lanai didn't have harbors deep enough to accommodate their sailboat. At 50 feet long, however, the vessel is relatively small, and both islands have harbors that accommodate boats of that size. Plus, the Big Island — the southernmost island in Hawaii — has several places to dock. Appel, though, said she modified her sailboat, called the Sea Nymph, by adding six tons of fiberglass to the hull to make it thicker and heavier and extend the keel to a depth of 8.5 feet to give the boat greater stability."
First, where the heck could she have added 6 TONS of FG...that's 12,000 lbs! But even if she could, wouldn't enough weight to increase the draft about 3' also have raised the waterline about 3'? The boat doesn't look like it's sitting that low in the water. Or maybe it was and all that FG fell off, which could account for all the growth on the side of the hull.
Their story is getting fishier by the day!

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I looked through Appel's FB pages and found no mention of a boat I went all the way back to 2009 and only found a couple of mentions about sailing, no pictures, no purchase of a boat, no pictures of weekend get aways on the boat, the story is all hog wash and I would bet in the end they may have to pay for the rescue services rendered.

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
"Their story is getting fishier by the day!"

Yup... from the storms that were not on any satellite picture to the radios that all refused to work to the EPIRB they didn't use to the experience of the crew... fishy indeed.

So there is a real story there, somewhere... I too wonder why they went through this... what's the angle?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Just like a "scrubbing bubbles" commercial we have up here on the telly, that shows some kids going crazy in the bathroom and the wife's comment about video "going viral".

Jan 11, 2005
Converse 25 Fresno, CA
I am just a lake sailor, a new bee at that. But none of the store makes sense to me. the clothes, the lack of sunburns, and the boat looks to be in decent condition. Be interesting for the pacific sailing community to chime in if they have seen this boat during the time "missing".