Registered users don't see ads

Looking for suggestions for a small dinghy or kayak for occasional use

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by bsouders, Jun 29, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

Tags:
  1. bsouders

bsouders

Joined Jun 29, 2018
    3 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30
    Narragansett US South Beach Harbor in SF, CA
    Most of our Bay sailing won't require a dinghy but would love advice on a 2- or 3-seater that would be easy to secure on deck when necessary. Thanks!

2. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,514 posts, 1,821 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA

Will Gilmore and bsouders like this.
  3. GorillaToast

GorillaToast

Joined Sep 2, 2011
    1,008 posts, 50 likes
    Hunter 27 Cherubini
    US Alum Creek State Park
    I'll be interested in reading how it works out. Particularly where you stow it and if your jib sheets get hung up on the pointy ends. I've got a 27' Hunter, and I can't figure out where I'd put it except to tow it.

4. bsouders

bsouders

Joined Jun 29, 2018
    3 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30
    My question exactly GT. I see some kayaks seem to be on racks outside the lifelines. I am unclear the impact when underway.

5. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,514 posts, 1,821 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    My plan is to tie the kayak upside down on the bow inside the stanchions. I have seen them inside and outside. I think I have enough room for the 10 footer and it will not affect the foresail. Time will tell. So far I have just had it out at home on near by rivers. It is a fun little craft with good tracking.

6. bsouders

bsouders

Joined Jun 29, 2018
    3 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30
    Good luck, John, and keep us posted. Thanks for taking the time to respond. B

jssailem likes this.
  7. jmce1587

jmce1587

Joined Mar 20, 2011
    269 posts, 34 likes
    Hunter 31_83-87
    US Kemah
    Recently picked up a small inflatable dinghy from WM for my H31 for the few times I want to use a dinghy. It’s a model RU250 for about $600 Price was right. Got good reviews on WM site.

bsouders likes this.
  8. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,565 posts, 1,050 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    I've been looking at the 7'6" Saturn's for Dragonfly, but they are a little pricy for me and still big for 19' might be perfect across a stern rail or upside down on the foredeck.

Inflatable dinghies are very nice to tow also. They do less damage if they are knocked into the stern by a wave.

I think I'll build a hard dinghy just to fit my boat.

- Will (Dragonfly)

bsouders likes this.
  9. Spooled Again

Spooled Again

Joined Dec 27, 2012
    388 posts, 40 likes
    Precision 22 (Sold), O 240 (Sold), Precision 28
    US Somers Point
    I recently purchased an inexpensive inflatable dinghy built by Bestway. It is very small, I believe 90 inches. It feels thick and durable. I inflate it to use and deflate it to store on my boat. It easily fits under the cockpit seating. It weighs 35 lbs and cost just a little over $300. So far I’ve used it 3 times and really like it. Google the brand and you will find a few different models.

bsouders likes this.

Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!