Registered users don't see ads

Looking for advice and solutions to my genoa

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by pzmaria, Dec 6, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. pzmaria

pzmaria

Joined May 5, 2017
    16 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina C30
    MX Calgary, AB PA
    Hello members. My genoa foot is rubbing on a rail when fully furled out. It keeps wearing the bottom and need to find a solution. It's a Catalina30-std rig. Not quite sure but it looks like 110 genoa. Any suggestions? Attached are pics how it looks and how it wears. Sorry about my finger in these pics but I was using my phone and didn't want to loose it. IMG_1324.JPG IMG_1326.JPG IMG_1327.JPG

2. jeepbluetj

jeepbluetj

Joined Jan 18, 2016
    365 posts, 89 likes
    Catalina 30
    US SoCal Dana Point
    My boat has the top lifeline run to the base of the bow pulpit for just that reason - it allows the sail to not chafe against it constantly. Sorry no pics.

If you've got enough room to hoist the sail higher, a pennant on the tack would allow you to increase the height and reduce the rubbing.

3. jeepbluetj

jeepbluetj

Joined Jan 18, 2016
    365 posts, 89 likes
    Catalina 30
    US SoCal Dana Point
    Found a pic (not my boat, stolen off the internet somewhere)
    [​IMG]

4. Bill Roosa

Bill Roosa

Joined Jun 6, 2006
    6,887 posts, 107 likes
    Hunter 40.5
    US Harrington Harbor North, MD
    Sew a piece of leather to the chafed area. It does not need to be very think. Leather can take chafe MUCH better than sailcloth.
    OR
    duct tape ;-) (brown looks like leather BTW so you don't look like a total land lubber)

Will Gilmore likes this.
  5. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    563 posts, 138 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH Littleton, NH

6. markwbird

markwbird

Joined Nov 26, 2012
    696 posts, 102 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Berkeley
    Wrap the life line with rigging tape where it is rubbing the sail. Looks like it's the turnbuckle that is causing the damage. I have the same problem. I wrapped it and smoothed it out.

7. Kingjim91

Kingjim91

Joined Jul 6, 2013
    91 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30TR
    US Milwaukee
    If you have a little room at the top of the forestay, you could add a tail to the tack so you could raise the sail higher.
    I had a C22 rigged this way. Just a piece of line with a with a shackle tied on each end.

8. BillyK

BillyK

Joined Jan 24, 2010
    334 posts, 1 likes
    Catalina 30MKII
    US Ocean City, NJ
    This is exactly what i did... i added a 1' tail to get the sail up and over the lifelines... it had the added benefit of moving the top of the sail rotating turnbuckle closer to the block at the top of the mask reducing my halyard wrap issues up there..

9. Roland5048

Roland5048

Joined May 12, 2004
    808 posts, 180 likes
    Hunter Cherubini 30
    US New Port Richey
    I have the same issue with my deck sweeper of a jenny. Had my sailmaker sew a piece if sacrificial cloth to the foot. When that wears through, sew another one on.

10. Simon Sexton

Simon Sexton

Joined Nov 1, 2017
    72 posts, 12 likes
    Catalina 25 Tall Rig
    Valiant US Cypress, Texas Watergate Marina, Kemah, TX
    Pzmaria,

Good afternoon! I've had a few friends who were dealing with the same problem, and it seemed, for one of them, that the actual turnbuckle that connects the lifeline to the bow pulpit was causing the issue, because a small safety pin was catching the dacron stitching on the foot and ripping it loose. Also, I have seen a conversion kit for Catalina 30s for the lifelines; on the Catalina 25, they produced the boat with lifelines that went from the forwardmost stanchion down to the foredeck just in front of the pulpit (as seen in Jeppbleutj's picture). This conversion is available for the 30, but I've never seen it on any other boat besides my friend's. Like the others stated, a patch of leather or Gorilla Tape works fine for a while.

Hope this helps!
    God Bless,
    S.S.

11. jeepbluetj

jeepbluetj

Joined Jan 18, 2016
    365 posts, 89 likes
    Catalina 30
    US SoCal Dana Point
    You don't need the conversion kit - just run the upper lifeline to the same spot the lower runs to. I've seen that on some '30s. Not for everybody as it does make the foredeck easier to fall off of.

If it's a furling sail the UV cover that should be on the bottom of the sail can help too. But the advice here (and on another formum) boils down to:

Lower the lifelines, OR
    Raise the sail, OR
    Protect for chafe.

Will Gilmore likes this.

Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.