Looking at O'Day 27

Apr 16, 2016
T-Craft TS18 Moraine
I looked at an O'Day 27 the other day that was for sale on craigslist. After inspecting it I have the following observations and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what would be a fair purchase price. My initial reaction is $5,500 is too much.
Unsure of status on Atomic 4 gas engine – sat idle and drained of all fluids for 13 years
possible damage? Rusty pistons, bearings, rings, gaskets, water pump...
estimate replacement cost 6k to 10k per other post on this forum
Mainsail eaten by bees – probably needs replaced
replacement cost $600
Starboard chainplate shows signs of water intrusion on bulkhead
All chainplates show signs of water intrusion on the deck
Lots of stress cracks on deck emanating from mast
Lots of other cracks on deck from impact or freeze/thaw cycle – too many to count
Much of the wood interior is delaminating – steps down the hatch, port side shelf behind settee
Wood toe rail in poor shape – may need replaced
Lots of sealant around toe rail indicating attempts to stop leaks
Port side port light frame cracked and missing pieces in several places
Lots of dock rash on top sides gelcoat – some may be too deep to sand out – will require filling with patch paste to restore
Chain locker full of hornets – could not leave open very long for inspection

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
"Spend your time sailing, not working on your boat" also gets phrased as "Buy the best boat you can afford".
I agree with Rich, way too many issues. :yikes:

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
If it does not feel right, then it's not right. For the money thay are asking you can get a much better deal.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I would NEVER EVER buy a boat that was not cared for, loved, and sailed by the last owner, right up to the day they sold it. Ever.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Unless you're one of those snake bitten people who are compelled to take on a restoration project for the challenge of making old crappie into new nice, you should take a pass. That is not a good price. Half of that isn't a good price. The owner should part it out and take the rest to the dump and pay whatever necessary to be rid of it. Boats can have negative value. That is they cost you to get rid of. I'd been out at the bees.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I just sold my O'day 27 for $7500 in February. It wasn't a show boat, but it was in fine sail away condition, with a fairly recent new mainsail and other upgrades including fairly new recovering of all fabrics. I'm a fan of the Atomic 4, although I repowered it with a near new 9.8 outboard that all in cost me almost $4k. I love O'days as stable, well built boats. But I'd run from the one you mention!