Leaks!

Discussion in 'Catalina 310' started by SV At Last, May 7, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. SV At Last

SV At Last

Joined Nov 16, 2017
    16 posts, 4 likes
    Catalina 310 #246
    US TX
    The port side handrail on the coach roof is leaking during torrential rains. It seems easy enough to remove the 3 screws, clean, apply sealant and reinstall. Is it really that easy? Or am I missing something?

2. kloudie1

kloudie1

Joined Nov 6, 2006
    8,287 posts, 753 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mandeville Louisiana
    Yup.. but not just any sealant.. check out Maine Sail's videos on his DIY site . Bedding Deck Hardware. Butyl tape is the ticket.. . do it like that.. then do the other one too before it starts leaking.

3. marchem

marchem

Joined Nov 16, 2012
    745 posts, 126 likes
    Catalina 310, 2000, #31
    US Santa Cruz
    +1 for butyl tape from MaineSail. We did ours a while back. Easy job.

Alansails likes this.
  4. SV At Last

SV At Last

Joined Nov 16, 2017
    16 posts, 4 likes
    Catalina 310 #246
    US TX
    Thanks! Went to MaineSail’s site and learned. Will get the butyl tape and do both sides.

Alansails and kloudie1 like this.
  5. SV At Last

SV At Last

Joined Nov 16, 2017
    16 posts, 4 likes
    Catalina 310 #246
    US TX
    The butyl tape arrived quickly and the handrails on the coach roof will get sealed this week. We also seem to have some sort of leak in the rear berth area. The mattress was moldy when we bought the boat. I haven't been able to pin point the location but I think that it may be leaking under the pedestal and then out of the cover on the ceiling of the aft berth and down the aft bulkhead. Is it possible to rebed the pedestal without removing the steering cables?

JRT likes this.
  6. marchem

marchem

Joined Nov 16, 2012
    745 posts, 126 likes
    Catalina 310, 2000, #31
    US Santa Cruz
    That cover comes off pretty easy. Should be obvious if there’s a leak there. Not sure you can lift the pedestal without at least loosening the cables, but I really don’t know.

7. RoyS

RoyS

Joined Jun 3, 2012
    474 posts, 188 likes
    Hunter 33
    US Bay Pointe, Quincy
    Only problem with butyl is that it eventually compresses and squeezes out from under the stanchion bases. You can tighten the fasteners more but it eventually squeezes out again. Going to try placing washers between the stanchion base and the deck embedded in the butyl. My hope is that the butyl will be compressed sufficiently to make a leak tight seal but not so much that it squeezes out. This issue is because butyl remains in a plastic state indefinitely while other sealants set or harden in a few days. Trying to get the best of both worlds here.

8. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    8,994 posts, 3,910 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Roy. What you comment about, plasticity of butyl is also the benefit.
    Not sure which of the butyl sources you are using but have found these past 4 years that Mainsail’s product has held up, no leaks. It also helps if you prep your holes to provide pocket for your butyl to fill. Counter sink the holes.
    https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/
    BC4353BD-8F7E-4706-AD41-C1D7315BA5FD.jpeg

9. RoyS

RoyS

Joined Jun 3, 2012
    474 posts, 188 likes
    Hunter 33
    US Bay Pointe, Quincy
    John, I use Mainesail's butyl. I did not have a problem with it leaking only squeezing out from under stanchion bases. The stanchion where it is most noticeable is the one "assistants" grab to help dock the boat. The constant levering causes the stanchion to feel loose. Going to add something solid like washers underneath to prevent movement. Would like to use an electric fence device on the stanchions but I got talked out of that plan.

DrJudyB likes this.
  10. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    8,994 posts, 3,910 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Darn, that sounds like a reasonable plan.

You call out and warn the dock folk, “Do not grab the stanchions “. A little Tazer touch would provide adequate reinforcement.

NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.