Jib sock

Oct 30, 2015
Oday Javelin Skaneateles
I am refreshing an old O'day Javelin. It has a jib furler (Harken) so the jib stays on the forestay when docked or moored between sailings - you don't use the jib halyard, the sail has a wire built into the luff , and the wire acts as a forestay, fastened to the roller at the stem. I think I should protect the jib from UV etc., especially as this is a replacement sail and is in very good condition. I have no experience with using a jib sock for this purpose - I have seen some stuff online and it looks like the most economical approach is a kit from sailrite, although they seem to require a bit more sewing skill than I have demonstrated in the past. I am just wondering what others have experienced with using a jib sock - any advice welcome.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My friend uses a jib sock on his CAL31. The jib/genoa is on a furler. He rolls it up then draws the sock up using his spinnaker halyard. As it goes up he zips the sock around the furled sail. When he gets it to the top he ties it off and it shields his sail.
Down is just the reverse operation, grab the sock pull it down, unzip as you go. Once you reach the top of the sock you disconnect the halyard and fold the sock up and store it with the rest of the sail covers.
The alternate is to have a sail cover sown onto the leech. Then when you furler the sail the sail cover is exposed the sail stays protected.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I'll be interested to read the comments on this question. I'm guessing you will have to list out the pros and cons and your style at the end of the day.

Cons as I see it: More time required to put things away, One more item/cover to have to stow, Installing an extra halyard if one is not free (not a problem for you). Possibly a little more flapping of the cover. I would probably make the Sailrite kit a snugger fit.

Pros for me: It could be cut long enough to cover all components of the furling system. No unfurling while you are away if a strap gave up. Would eliminate the sacrificial cloth on the leech and foot (I dislike the sail shape after a year with the sacrificial cloth.) You could make the bottom of the cover large enough to enclose the sheets/furling line and keep them out of the sun. Any sail that fits in the furler track could be used and protected. It would be a nice bag over the sail when trailering and storing. ( I leave my sail on the furler when trailering. )

Let see what other people say. The Sailrite kits are a piece of cake to sew according to Lee. We may give this serious thought on our S2 project boat TOPOSS.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have had one for years. Purchased through this site. And, it's on a 40' boat. Really not much hassle. You will need a second jib halyard or spinnaker halyard. I don't like sewn on covers in light air.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
I bought a Mainsail cover from LeeSailCovers a year ago. It has held up well to our Pacific NW weather.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm sure a jib sock would solve your concern..... but... you're boat is only 14 feet, the fractional jib only has a 13 foot luff... can't you figure a way to drop and store the sail using the halyard to support the mast? I googled your boat and saw dozens of pictures, none of which were furler equipped. This type of furler cannot be used for reefing... it really isn't a storage solution either... it is best suited for trailer sailing where the rig is taken down after each use. The lower end of the drum probably has a snap shackle so it can be easily released when dropping the mast. For mast up storage, the furler creates more problems than a simple hank on, or zip on, headsail. which can be stored in a bag and locked in the cuddy.

Oct 30, 2015
Oday Javelin Skaneateles
Joe- I actually thought about trying to do something like you suggest and I haven't abandoned that idea. The jib isn't designed to be dropped as it exists on the boat at present, and the top of the jib is well out of reach for unshackling once the mast is stepped. The top of the furler mechanism, which is just a spinning attachment point, is shackled to the point on the mast where the forestay would go. I don't think it would work right if I just ran that spinner up with the halyard - but I intend to experiment a little bit. I am "stuck" with the jib with the wire in the luff in that I am not going to replace this jib - it is a pretty new sail, so I wouldn't change it out or alter it, not worth the expense - maybe I could just raise the spinner on a halyard, but the problem is that with the wire in the luff, the sail wouldn't drop like a normal sail, and I doubt it would behave well in a breeze hooked up like that - I will figure it all out eventually, but in the meantime it is great to have all this input from thoughtful and knowledgeable folks. I may be able to hook it up so I just run the sail up the wire with halyard - have to experiment a bit.

Oct 22, 2014
It really depends on you and what you want.
On my 15ft Montgomery I hanked on the jib to the fore stay, hauling it up or removing it as needed. A furler was in the way. Extra weight. I kept the boat on its trailer with the mast down when not sailing. 30 minutes to rig and be in the water.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
On a small boat like the Javelin, you may be able to have a sailmaker apply an adhesive-backed UV cloth to the leech and foot to protect the sail from the sun. That would be easier than adding a halyard for a jib sock (Although, if your sail is set up to use the luff-wire in the jib in place of a forestay, is the upper swivel attached where the forestay would be, or where the halyard would be? If attached to the original forestay tang, you should be able to re-install the original jib halyard to useto raise the sock.) I like the UV material on the sail better. This UV material would be thinner than the Sunbrella cloth used on larger boats, and is just like the self-stick material used for Class Insignias. I think it is used on many racing boats that have furling jibs.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Joe- I actually thought about trying to do something like you suggest and I haven't abandoned that idea. The jib isn't designed to be dropped as it exists on the boat at present, and the top of the jib is well out of reach for unshackling once the mast is stepped. The top of the furler mechanism, which is just a spinning attachment point, is shackled to the point on the mast where the forestay would go. I don't think it would work right if I just ran that spinner up with the halyard - but I intend to experiment a little bit. I am "stuck" with the jib with the wire in the luff in that I am not going to replace this jib - it is a pretty new sail, so I wouldn't change it out or alter it, not worth the expense - maybe I could just raise the spinner on a halyard, but the problem is that with the wire in the luff, the sail wouldn't drop like a normal sail, and I doubt it would behave well in a breeze hooked up like that - I will figure it all out eventually, but in the meantime it is great to have all this input from thoughtful and knowledgeable folks. I may be able to hook it up so I just run the sail up the wire with halyard - have to experiment a bit.
Actually, I think it would work better than you think. The halyard is more than strong enough to support the mast when not sailing (if you're nervous about that, switch out the halyard for dyneema cored line.. it's stronger than wire, lighter too).... so.. attach a small block to the forestay eye strap, the swivel clips to the halyard... check for proper tension by readjusting the shrouds if necessary.
Dropping the sail with the wire luff should be a piece of cake. It will coil in large loops... 3 feet diam or so.. but small enough to store out of the weather.

Oct 30, 2015
Oday Javelin Skaneateles
That sounds like it could be ideal. I can try it out when I am rigging the boat on the trailer - granted, the mast won't be under any strain like it would be underway, but I can do one set up with just the furler, then another with the combo you suggest and compare them. Thanks for the input.