Inaccessible space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I added the cut out to my 2001/310. I also thought that access to the port lazerette was difficult. The cut out is approx. 11.5" X 18". I used tongue and groove bamboo flooring to make the new door and slides. The flooring T&G is centered so the new door travels well on the slides cut from a full length. The bamboo boards were 38" long and made adequate slides. I glued 3 18" pieces stacked together and added straps to the front and backsides to reinforce. I countersunk the holes for the slides fastener screws and it all assembled easily. I added a lateral piece paneling inside so things wouldn't roll around. I used a piece of vinyl trim to anchor the paneling. If you did a good job with the cutout and used aluminum "C" channel, the cutout could serve as the door instead of the flooring.
Sounds cool deke, you got any pics?

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
With wood//bamboo doors ...

do you still use your head to take the occasional shower?

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Worse comes to worse he could always get another shower curtain slide, mount it on that overhang and put one of the short behind-the-toilet ones on there.

The wood/bamboo looks real nice in there. Breaks up the white a little!

Sep 29, 2008
Like the look, but I am a simple guy

Worse comes to worse he could always get another shower curtain slide, mount it on that overhang and put one of the short behind-the-toilet ones on there.

The wood/bamboo looks real nice in there. Breaks up the white a little!
I think I am going to go with one of the hatches here on SBO with the inserts. Here is what I have at foot level. Unfortunately there are no markings anywhere to match with the manufacturer. Now if I could just get the crew to quit sleeping on the job I would have it made. :zzz:

Attachments

deke

Jan 5, 2011
catalina 310 charlevoix
Re: With wood//bamboo doors ...

Hi Ray, sorry it took so long to reply..I had the bamboo left over from a hot tub trim project. I had worried about the water swelling the bamboo so I soaked a piece for about a week and did not see any problems. I think that using the shower is not a problem for the uncovered bamboo..Deke

Sep 29, 2008
Like Bamboo

Hi Ray, sorry it took so long to reply..I had the bamboo left over from a hot tub trim project. I had worried about the water swelling the bamboo so I soaked a piece for about a week and did not see any problems. I think that using the shower is not a problem for the uncovered bamboo..Deke
Deke, I think bamboo is one of the nicer grasses that looks like wood. Pretty durable stuff.

Sep 29, 2008
Progress

OK, first off I am resurrecting this thread. :deadhorse: I will admit that every time I go to cut a hole in my boat I tend to be a bit chicken and go real slow and this is no exception. I do have the Tempress 13x23 hatch (have actually had it for a few weeks) and went down and measured (old carpenter adage measure twice, cut once). Inside the locker in the lazarette it is 12.5" high, while inside the head it is 13" (at least down to where the separator is. The hatch opening is 10.5". It looks like I will wind up maximizing the opening. :wow:

For those of you bolder that I am, how much of an opening did you cut, and with me cutting so much will it impact the structural integrity of the floor which is also the ceiling of the aft berth?

For PaulJ's benefit I have pictures. The first picture is in the head with the hatch I got. The 2nd is the inside of the lazarette locker. Ray

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Deke, How big is your opening?

hopefully the attached pictures of the new opening and door will forward
Looks like you cut all the way down to the floor and all the way up to the ceiling. Is that correct?

Sep 29, 2008
Been there done that!

I finally installed my Tempress 13x23" hatch between my head and my storage space. Very pleased as the fit was about perfect. Pictures for PaulJ. :2cool:

Pictures are tracing out the cut, the cut, putting butyl tape on the hatch for a nice seal, hatch partially installed, and hatch installed and closed. :dance:

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Nice hatch job RP!!
Maybe I will get time to even launch my boat this spring. Too much work after being off to Bonaire windsurfing for the last entire month. But boy was it worth it!! Sailed 16 out of the 26 days mostly on 6.0 and less. Last day on a 4.5 75L wave board.

Sep 29, 2008
WTFO

Nice hatch job RP!!
Maybe I will get time to even launch my boat this spring. Too much work after being off to Bonaire windsurfing for the last entire month. But boy was it worth it!! Sailed 16 out of the 26 days mostly on 6.0 and less. Last day on a 4.5 75L wave board.
A month in Bonaire. Something tells me you are having too much fun. :naughty:

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico
Ray!

Wow! That looks really good and it adds a great deal of functionality to your boat. It appears that you will have easier access to the storage.

Cool! It inspires me to fix the aft end of my cockpit with something more than duct tape.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Ray
:theman:

I finally installed my Tempress 13x23" hatch between my head and my storage space. Very pleased as the fit was about perfect. Pictures for PaulJ. :2cool:

Pictures are tracing out the cut, the cut, putting butyl tape on the hatch for a nice seal, hatch partially installed, and hatch installed and closed. :dance:

paulj :troll:

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Ray

What was the model number of the Temptress hatch.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Revised access door......................now I can really reach in deep to access area and without a flashlight.

Has anyone thought about this set up........????

Thanks ray

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.