Inaccessible space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Well, this make it simple stupid. I can't understand with a boat that is so lacking for storage space that Catalina did not provide better access to this space.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
It will end up being a winter project for me as I'm moving my business and have little time for extra projects. What time I do have will be spent sailing.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
First cut

Paul, Still thinking about it. Might be like Witz and make this a winter project. Too busy getting ready for Fall racing and going back to school.

But perhaps we can come up with some better ideas in the meantime. :poke:
:deadhorse:

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
The Cat 309 at the recent Sydney Boatshow had an access hatch located above the galley workspace, leading into the rear locker. However, it seemed only halfbaked in that it was too small and was blocked by a waste bin (for which it had apparently been designed). The 'door' is visible on their brochure.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Well, this make it simple stupid. I can't understand with a boat that is so lacking for storage space that Catalina did not provide better access to this space.
We've had the same "allegations" hurled at our C34s compared to C36s.

Many of us have converted "hanging lockers" into shelves.

Your boat, your cut, your choice.:eek:

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Tool and spare parts storage

I have been following this thread and I think this might make a great place to store tools and spare parts.

I currently store that stuff in the starboard settee. But to access it I have to remove the cushion and the plywood. Not a lot of work but can be a pain if the admiral is down in the salon doing something and I want a tool to make a quick repair or adjustment.

So I am thinking that an access hatch here could make a good spot to store the tool kits (currently have 3: ratchets, sockets and wrenches; electrical tools & supplies; emergency with wood plugs, rubber mallet, quick set epoxy etc.). I also have two spare parts containers: the blue/gray universal box with spare filters, zincs, impeller, etc.; red and black westerbeke bag with hoses and hose clamps.

The problem I see is the size of the cut and the hatch. If you just put the hatch below the little bump out, it might be too small to fit some of the above items. It looks like the hatch size that would fit there the best is 14" X 31" (opening is 9 3/4" X 26 3/4"). But that might require some modifications to the flange. It looks like the hard part will the looking through all of the different hatch designs to find the best fit and maybe getting creative with that small bump out to get the biggest hatch opening possible.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We use our nav station as our basic tool box: http://www.c34.org/projects/images/35511_04.jpg

I also have a separate small tool "grab bag" for being a "Visiting Boat Doc" for less inclined friend's, as well as a separate socket set box I keep in the cave.

I also have two shoe boxes full of electrical spare parts.

Sep 29, 2008
Check here

... The problem I see is the size of the cut and the hatch. If you just put the hatch below the little bump out, it might be too small to fit some of the above items. It looks like the hatch size that would fit there the best is 14" X 31" (opening is 9 3/4" X 26 3/4"). But that might require some modifications to the flange. It looks like the hard part will the looking through all of the different hatch designs to find the best fit and maybe getting creative with that small bump out to get the biggest hatch opening possible.
Check here :2cool:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10114&subdeptNum=11315&classNum=11374

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Only Paul would think of using Tupperware for a compartment, no wonder we got to the moon and back safely, very innovative Jim-Bob.
I'm thinking on a teak latch door matching the one in the salon that provides access to the entire space.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Albanach

As Paul Harvey used to say....now here is the rest of the story.

The Cat 309 at the recent Sydney Boatshow had an access hatch located above the galley workspace, leading into the rear locker. However, it seemed only halfbaked in that it was too small and was blocked by a waste bin (for which it had apparently been designed). The 'door' is visible on their brochure.

:confused:.....:eek:......:dance:

paulj :troll:

Sep 29, 2008
PaulJ

Pretty inspiring you jumped in and made that cut. I woulda been skeered, but I can now live vicariously through you until I get time. As for tomorrow I have to go sailing - I will be the boat off of Quantico with the 4 girls in bikini's. :dance:

deke

Jan 5, 2011
catalina 310 charlevoix
I added the cut out to my 2001/310. I also thought that access to the port lazerette was difficult. The cut out is approx. 11.5" X 18". I used tongue and groove bamboo flooring to make the new door and slides. The flooring T&G is centered so the new door travels well on the slides cut from a full length. The bamboo boards were 38" long and made adequate slides. I glued 3 18" pieces stacked together and added straps to the front and backsides to reinforce. I countersunk the holes for the slides fastener screws and it all assembled easily. I added a lateral piece paneling inside so things wouldn't roll around. I used a piece of vinyl trim to anchor the paneling. If you did a good job with the cutout and used aluminum "C" channel, the cutout could serve as the door instead of the flooring.

Status
Not open for further replies.