How to vent a cabin-mounted day tank on a Catalina 30?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
A tank full of diesel fuel in your saloon? Can’t believe that is ABYC compliant or even meets the local fire code. Which means your insurance company would take a dim view as well.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
A tank full of diesel fuel in your saloon?
Not sure about that Gunni. My Beneteau's main tank is under the port 1/4 berth, about 5 feet from the galley stove. My C.T.37 had the fuel tanks under the settees, both sides. Not many places to put tanks in a small boat. Having said that it would not be my location of choice either.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Not sure about that Gunni. My Beneteau's main tank is under the port 1/4 berth, about 5 feet from the galley stove.
And if it leaks it runs below your sole and drains to your bilge where it is contained / pumped overboard. Which is not the case with a tank bolted to a saloon bulkhead. A leak may find its way to the bilge eventually but not before saturating the furnishings and living quarters with diesel in close proximity to a furnace.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
So true! But at least you would see and smell it.( if you were there ) I thought it was a bad idea from the beginning without even thinking of the legal aspect . I wouldn't want t in my living-room.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
If you heater depends on a gravity feed, does it have a metering pump? The Espar heaters have a special metering pump and don't have a return (like a diesel engine fuel supply). WHO MAKES YOUR HEATER? Was the day tank from the heater manufacturer?

Is your pump that fills the day tank manual or an electric fuel pump -- if electric, do you manually "switch it on" to fill the tank and then turn it off when it's full?

We've had Espar heaters on our last two boats (for over thirty years now) which have a metering pump. The metering pump is noticeable before the fan engages. It's hardly obnoxious -- and mildly comforting if you're want to get warm. (Unless of course, you haven't cared for the glow plug in some time. :^))) ).