House batteries replacement for Hunter 34

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Just hit the four year mark on my house batteries and I am looking into replacements. They are still working however I usually change them out about the
4-5 year mark. I usually have a battery charger system on that has auto sense automatic shut off that shutdown when charged. I don't use much on the water other then depth, knot meter, wind meter, radio, frig. Occasionally do some night sailing so add on the list navigation lights.

Anyone have any suggestions or preference for battery replacement.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
What do ya have now, Robbie?
When I purchased my 34, there were 2, 6V golf cart batts behind the ice box and one size 27 aft of that, next to the fuel tank. There was refrig, instruments, and an autopilot. It all fit OK but getting to the aft one is a bear.. I converted all lights to LED and had a fridge failure. I removed it and so really didn't need the 6V stuff. I now have 2, 12V size 31Duracells and that is ok. I would go back to the 6V's if I were using the boat more.. picture is of aft batt location. Ya need to install remote watering to keep 'em happy
P1000524.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
I have Deka marine batteries flooded type
( 1 ) starting 24M7 1000/800
( 2 ) house DC31DT 810/650
Like I said they work fine just getting old

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Well, it all depends. Are you happy with the service you get out of the G31's? If so, another pair of them would be fine. Deka is a quality manufacturer. You'll get about 210AH out of a pair of those batteries.

Me? I'm a big fan of golf cart batteries. They typically can handle more abuse than the G31 type, are a bit more AH, and they're often cheaper (sometimes by quite a bit- Sams club is a great source). They often are too tall tho. And of course they need to be installed in series-wired pairs. If I had the room I'd have a 440AH bank of 4 GC2s. I don't - so I make do with 2 GC2s. It'll power the boat (and fridge) pretty well for 4 days or so. I do have 160w of solar to help charge back up.