Hello all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
Thanks for the wishes... Airplane flew fine afterwards, brought it right back around with no issues. The passengers were just skydivers, so they don't really count! LOL ;)

Aug 27, 2011
Update.

We got a good bit of interior woodwork installed today, post varnishing. Looking real good, once we get the interior all done, it will look great!

Exterior stills needs some TLC, we have to remove the ugly red faded stripe from near the waterline, get the transom polished so we can apply the new lettering, and get some chipped out gel coat on the corners fixed up.

With the wonderful help of Merlinuxo, we got the new starboard bilge covers made, and boy do they fit and work great! All for 50 bucks and a bit of labor.

Got the original compass put back together and refilled with odorless mineral spirits and put back on the pedestal. The dome was somewhat salvaged by my ever patient wife, and will remain serviceable for the near future. I would love to get one of the nice blue and white Ritche ones to replace it.

We did get the nice helm cover we made and looking great, the winch covers done, and the patchwork bimini up and good.

We are going to trade a buddy of mine the maroon mainsail cover for a blue one.

Coming along nicely! This weekend, time to get some air in the sails!

Time for play not work!

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
By the way, when you take an engine zinc out of the heat exchanger, and you thought it was just a standard plug...

On the left, the old zinc, and the new on the right... :eek::eek:
Sorry for the side track but I just wanted to make sure you opened up the end of the heat exchanger given that photo of your zinc. There are probably a bunch of zinc pieces in there.

Zincs should be changed monthly and it doesn't look like that was happening based on the photo.

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah we did. Got done with work early Sunday, and we were able to go out and play for just a little bit. Found the oil dipstick tube is the source of the oil leak on the engine. Going to go down today to remove it and see if I can figure out a way to rebuild it, as replacements go for hundreds of dollars.

Aug 27, 2011
Rusty bits...

Well...

We found the oil leak.

Not a pretty sight. It is just sad when a reputable school takes such poor care of its vessels...

There was a raw water pump line leak at some point. There were salt crystals growing on the bottom of the engine.

So when I removed the oil dipstick tube after seeing oil seep out of it after a gentle brush with a wire brush and got it all cleaned up...It prompted me to remove the oil pan as well.

The pictures will speak a 1000 words.

The first 4 are the dipstick tube, the last one is the oil pan itself.

Both have been heavily coated with JB Weld, primed and painted. I will watch them carefully until which time I can secure replacement parts when funds are flowing a little more freely.

Attachments

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Well, you could probably sell that at one of the local antique stores, tell em it is off a shipwreck. :doh:

Aug 27, 2011
Bottom Growth?

Well, we had a wonderful gentleman who is a diver with a bottom cleaning company dive the boat on Monday.

Needless to say, I was shocked.

It took him just over 2 hours to get the bottom clean, and found the hull/keel junction had over 18 inches of growth.

Coral, oysters, I assume mussels too, as well as grass and a whole lotta barnacles.

The boat is sitting 6 INCHES higher out of the water now.

They obviously dove the boat to install a new zinc on the shaft, so ?????

Sigh, money well spent on the diver, bottom job in the future of course, severely disappointed in the school who had her before us.

I figured 2000 pounds of growth to sink the boat over 6 inches lower in the water. Needless to say, when we took her around the canal to check if the boat ran smoother, she was like a rocket ship! Bow rode high, left a wake! LOL Thought I might try to ski behind it next week.

Got the transom lettered up, still waiting on the CG to get my documents back...sequester probably delaying things...

Heading to Titusville tomorrow, god willing.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2012
She is home now! Just a few slips from you Gary! Will we see you this weekend?
Good job on the name.

I told Lori we had new neighbors with a newer version of our boat. She asked me if yours has the the 5 degree port list like ours. I told her I did not think so, our boat is kinda special that way. LoL.

See you round the marina.

Aug 27, 2011
Panel relocation...

Finally got the gumption up to saw a big a$$ hole in the boat.

Built a new instrument panel to sort out the electrical issues inherent to our boats.

Just have to build up a shim for the top half of the panel insert, and get the sucker bedded in there.

Finally scored the swim ladder deal of the century, got to get that installed too.

Can't wait to get it in and make sure all works. Plugged it in to the cigarette lighter of the car to make sure nothing went ZZZAAAPPPP and so far so go.

Pretty lights! :D

Added an oil pressure gauge, and will eventually add a oil temp too. Will be switching over to the new Teleflex Amega series stuff. The new volt meter is Amega, hopefully the rest will follow at some point when funds become available.

I separated the lighting circuit with a switch. I don't see the point of having the instrument lights on during the day.

The last picture is the mess of the old panel. Mine might not look anymore organized when I am done, but I did it, so it must be good! :laugh:

Attachments

Nov 7, 2012
Heyo,

Ran into Neal & Linda yesterday at the dock. It was a pleasure meeting you both.

Great panel and pretty impressive the contortions Neal had to go through to wire it in. Big guy, little locker..

;)

Aug 27, 2011
Hooked up the newly rebuilt panel, an low and behold!!! It all works!! For the most part. The oil pressure gauge pegs out full deflection. I guess the sender isn't compatible.
Pics to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.