Hello all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself, My wife and I just purchased a 1984 C-27. Don't know the hull number yet.

It is wheel steering, Universal model 18 diesel, hank on jib, and needs some serious cleaning and polishing.

Mechanically she is sound, cosmetically she needs attention. It was a school boat, so it was kept up.

Upgraded from a 22 that we just finished restoring.

Wanted to say hello!

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Hello and congrats on the C27. You'll have a blast on that boat.

Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
Just did the same move

Still have the C-22 I've brought back to life and just bought a 86 C-27 and will sail on Lake Erie. I will be selling the C-22. C-22 is a great boat but can be a bit small on the big lake. Much better suited for smaller inland lakes. The Admiral and I plan to Over night cruise on the new boat. We could do the same on the 22 but its like camping in a pup tent verse camping in a trailer.

Aug 27, 2011
Well, we paid for her today and took it out around Stuart to run the motor a bit.

She is a 1984, hull number 5535. Little rough around the edges, but overall a good boat. We will post a few pictures when we get some.

Universal 18, 14 HP. Wheel steer, 4 foot draft, standard rig.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Congrats on the boat. Are you going to bring her back to Titusville?

Aug 27, 2011
Yes we are. Eventually. We are going to bring her to Satellite Beach first, then up to the city marina in Titusville March 1st or April first the latest.

Jan 12, 2013
Catalina C27 - Tall Rig Door County, Wis
Good luck, get some before and after photos! she's a fun boat that needs LOVE!

Hello all,

Just wanted to introduce myself, My wife and I just purchased a 1984 C-27. Don't know the hull number yet.

It is wheel steering, Universal model 18 diesel, hank on jib, and needs some serious cleaning and polishing.

Mechanically she is sound, cosmetically she needs attention. It was a school boat, so it was kept up.

Upgraded from a 22 that we just finished restoring.

Wanted to say hello!

Oct 11, 2012
Clark-San Juan 23 Kings Mountain N.C.
We need to see pictures of your new prize as everyone enjoys a new boat purchase. Good luck with your new project.

Aug 27, 2011
Just arrived at her new temporary home port! 12 Hours and 15 minutes enroute. LOOONNGGGG day. Stuart to Satellite Beach, up the ICW. I will get some pics posted tomorrow. Time for bed! Averaged 6.2 kts, had the main up, with a nice 10+ direct tailwind from the south. Couldn't have been more perfect! Engine ran great, 12+ hours running at 2700 RPM, temp stayed nailed at 185 degrees. That little M-18 is a great little motor!

More tomorrow!

Aug 27, 2011
Some trip details!

12 Hours and 15 Minutes total trip time.

Motor ran the whole time, burned about 7.75 gallons of fuel, or about .63 gallons per hour. Ran engine at 2700 RPM, temps ran exactly 185 degrees.

Fuel burn was exactly what the book says it should be!

We averaged about 6.3 kts I think. Chapman School in Stuart to Satellite Beach. Up the ICW the whole way.

Great trip, needed some caffeine, didn't have any, between that and not having a Bimini top to get out of the direct sun, had one hell of a headache on arrival.

I got to tell ya, this boat was a pure joy to sail! The wheel is EXACTLY what I wanted all along, and in spite of the numerous debates, it is everything I thought it would be and MORE! That little diesel chugging away, the feel of the wheel in my hands, the wind directly at our back, it couldn't have been more perfect! Except for a bimini! LOL And maybe some rum!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Attachments

Nov 7, 2012
Re: Some trip details!

Wow,
Nice pictures. Your boat looks to be in much better shape than mine when I bought it.
It is always good to see folks out having fun.

See you round the marina.

Aug 27, 2011
Garbone, I think I saw you the other morning walking to your boat. I was at the marina wandering about and you looked like you just went to the store?

Thanks again! We went out this afternoon and threw up the jib and shut down the engine, it was better than I could have imagined!! She sails great!

Nov 7, 2012
Yup, probably was me paying for my shore power. The store is a life saver time wise for all my projects as they have a good selection of stainless nuts and bolts.:dance:

Aug 27, 2011
Have you been to the Ace Hardware south on US 1? I dropped over 1200 bucks there during the restoration of our Catalina 22. Fantastic place. Also, across the street at the Dock Dude. He has tons of stuff and can get tons more! Love those guys. We look forward to seeing you. Let me know when you are going to be around, and I will swing by and say hi.

Nov 7, 2012
Well, do add to the thread drift...We moved the boat to Titusville in Janruary and only make it out on the weekends so have not had that much time to explore the town. Is the Dock Dude a good place for canvas? I am looking for a companionway cover and possibly curtains. I may have to take a trip out during the week if he is.Gary

Aug 27, 2011
I have a companionway cover he can use to copy for you. (I think) And yes, he can make anything. Including sail repairs.

Dec 1, 2010
Catalina 1978 C-27 Nortons Marina
What a nice find. Great pics I wish I was out on the water. Glad you had a good sail, never go out without rum thats my rule lol. We sail here in RI around the Islands and bay. this will be my third season. I am still very new and learning all the time. I posted a video of us out on the bay on youtube. It was a very calm day so we were Motor-sailing it gave me a chance to video some of the sights and sounds. You can view it on youtube just search Jkenny13

Aug 27, 2011
Update and Pics

So far, we have done little sailing, and much maintaining and repairing.

When I bought the boat, we knew that the boat had some issues that needed addressing, but the level of neglect was a bit over the top. Especially from a boat that was routinely used by a very popular seamanship school.

But, I digress...

Got a few pics with the phone today.

Got quite a bit finished up and accomplished today. It was so damn windy, no darn way I was going back up that stick in that bosun chair!

Yeah, I decided that job is not that bad, but sure as heck ain't my favorite!

We got the new hose from the pump to the heat exchanger installed, the refurbished raw water strainer and associated hoses installed and permanently mounted, some of the woodwork (now bright work?) put back in, and the folding helm table put back on.

Also, we threw on another coat of varnish on a bunch more parts in the hanger today too.

Coming along! At least now, the engine is back to being usable, so if we wanted to get in the wind we could.

By the way, when you take an engine zinc out of the heat exchanger, and you thought it was just a standard plug...

On the left, the old zinc, and the new on the right... :eek::eek:

Also, I found out that seagulls and Beechcraft King Air 200's don't mix. Clobbered one at about 110 KTS right at take off the other day. One hell of a dent! And one dead bird!

Attachments

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
snip-

Also, I found out that seagulls and Beechcraft King Air 200's don't mix. Clobbered one at about 110 KTS right at take off the other day. One hell of a dent! And one dead bird!
Glad everyone's okay...too bad for the bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.