Heat Exchanger???

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
You can have plastic bowls with new or retrofitted Racor units and comply with AYBC standards.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor--heat-deflector-kits--P006_180_003_552

There are a lot of diesel boats with the older filters without those heat shields. I never heard of one being an issue. If the engine compartment is engulfed in flames long enough for the fire to penetrate the Racor filter, I can't believe it makes a difference on a sailboat.
Those heat shields are for the Racor 500. There is not an option for the Racor R20s that a lot of the C310s have installed.

But I agree about the issue. I am not overly concerned. But it is something to be aware of.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks to Jesse, Ray and ALL for responding Here is what happened.
The mechanic came with the new Heat X and it took him a little over two 1/2 hrs to get the old one out and put the new one in, he did not have to remove the bulkhead but he did a lot of contortions that would have killed me and taken me days! While draining antifreeze and removing hoses in the process he found some hoses chafed that he replaced, he also replaced our Sherwood pump with the Oberdorfer we had previously purchased that I was going to install BUT since he had most of the work done I had him put the Oberdorfer on along with replacement hoses-some were original.
The new heat X came with brackets, which he added pads to prevent chafe and also complete brackets also came with it. He also replaced at our request the diesel filters, as it had been two years, he also adjusted the engine idle to 1K RPM, adjusted the alternator belt and tightened the throttle handle, he re-added antifreeze (New that I had brought along) and burped the coolant, cleaned the engine and compartment and put a pad underneath the engine. He had an answer for the fuel gauge that is NOW working right-like going to a DR with a cold and by the time you show up you are healthy-due to the cold weather the sending unit just moved slow-seems to be ok now.
He also cleaned up the anti-siphon hose arrangement on top of the engine that was not proper set up.
At the back of our engine we have additional lines run for heater/air etc so they were also a hinderance.
Total labor time was 5 3/4 hrs. He was NOT slacking and took no lunch break but worked solidly and he was worn out when he left. Engine runs fine, no leaks and We were happy when he left. Total bill was cheaper than one of the estimates for other marinas heat X and we did not have to wait three more weeks and tie up two days to have them do it. We feel that we are good for at least two years with fuel filters and new impeller on the oberdorfer, new hoses and anti freeze change. We are ready for cruising with no interruptions-Fingers crossed!
Again thanks to all for your input!
I would love to see some photos of the repairs next time you get to the boat.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Jesse, Next time we get there, I will get them to you,
Bob, Great Lakes Diesel, I will send you a PM