Heading to florida

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Mirwin, I'm no expert and have never travel up the Tennessee Tombigbee, but my reading of other stories has stressed the importance of a reliable motor and ability to keep it running.

http://captainjohn.org/River_Tenn.html

That said I wish I could make that trip myself right now but I'll be putting that off for awhile till kids are out and done with school. I'm learning a lot from following you and now more of the stress of buying a boat and moving it from FL by sailing it probably just isn't practicable for my time and family demands. Also let me know if you plan to come through Lake Guntersville, I'll be willing to call our marine owners and see if we can help you out with a stop here and anything else too.

Last edited:

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Good morning,
We are at destin blue water bay marina. We have a mechanic coming to look at the engine. We have decided that we will have all issues addressed before heading out. I am tied of breaking down and certainly don't want to get stuck on the TN-tom. We pray this can be fixed in a timely manner. We will keep you all posted. Looking forward to meeting you as we travel.

Marilyn

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Sounds like you still have a good plan, always trust but VERIFY as far as mechanics go.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
My understanding is this mechanic is the best! We have found the hot water heater has a leak somewhere, we haven't unpacked the boat to get to it. There is a leak or more with the heat exchanger, and the bilge float needs to be reconnected(we hope). This good delay our trip by two weeks

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd ask the mechanic to go out on a sea trial before he leaves, not sure if that is possible.