H260 WB Swing Keel attachment question (Dave C?)

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
Hi Regular Guy,
Referring to the image you posted, DSC06896.JPG, showing the top of the keel with the bracket mounted, does the cam at the very top of the keel hit the roller when the keel is in the down position relative to the bracket?
Thank you!
Tom

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
Dave (and others following this thread),
The bracket holes holding the center board pivot and roller pins become elongated, I'm sure, because the pins rotate against the edge of the holes. My boat is probably an extreme case because by boat was on a mooring in Boston Harbor for the summer each of 10 sailing seasons, so there was a lot of rocking and rolling going on!

I am looking for feedback on this thought... In order to prevent the holes from elongating, I think it makes sense to restrict the pin from turning in the holes. The roller and keel will still be able to freely pivot around their respective pins. To restrict the pin from rotating in the hole, I am considering one of two options:
1) drilling one side of the new set of holes as a press fit, so the pin will be tapped into place with a hammer (The pin would be installed from the loose side, through the roller or center board, and then tapped into the opposite hole which is the press fit).
2) using 5200 marine adhesive instead of a press fit to secure one end of the pin.
This idea will also keep the assembly together when installing into the boat -- instead of using duct tape.
I appreciate any feedback given...thanks in advance!
Tom

May 27, 2004
- - Boston
When I dropped mine to replace bushings and line on my 23.5 I got a 2 ft piece of threaded rod ,insirted it in bracket nut and used it to guide bracket in hole.Saved a lot of agravation
DJN51,
I like this idea. I was thinking of dropping a line down through the hole in the hull, through the nut and tying a big knot with enough of a tail remaining to pull the line out after the centerboard is blocked in place. Then someone from above can help pull the board up while one or two below lift and block it.
Thank you,
Tom

Last edited:
May 27, 2004
- - Boston
Hi all,
Here is an update on my centerboard project. I got the centerboard bracket back from the welder. He fixed the elongated hole problem. I've also received the new pins and retaining bolt from the Hunter Forum store. I need to get some new line for the centerboard up-haul rig, and just put in a request to the group here (new thread) to verify that the diameter for the lower section is 7/16 (not 5/16 as indicated in the manual). Next I'll arrange time with the local boat yard to jack the boat up off the trailer so we can get the board back in place.
Fair winds,
Tom