grounding a wing keel

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Member of our club has his bot break free during a storm and washed up on shore only to stand herself upright in the wing. He and a few people upon becoming aware got down to the boat with jack stands so she would not fall over.....

Greg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@dlochner
Family history goes back to Tangier Island and smaller merchant vessels in the Chesapeake Bay that plied the Bay.
My grandmother showed me some photos boats in the mid 1960’s which were being worked on while out of the water in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. One picture took my attention of what appeared to be a form of a wing keel. I asked her about that and she said in some places, it was due to shallow waters during low tide.

As I understood in the Great Lakes, a freighter from Europe dumped it’s water ballast in one of the Great Lakes which was the start of Zebra Mussels. Ship used water ballast. In addition there are stabilizing fins that come out from large ships.

Long before 1983 existed a form of wing keels and use of water ballast now used on modern pleasure and in cases racing sailboats with the win of Australia II which promulgated the wing keel