Galvanic isolator installation

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
IMG_2192.JPG
IMG_2193.JPG
IMG_0930.JPG
I have a Guest model 2450P. I can not find a manual online.
A few questions on installing;
- i understand the two system ground connection terminals, but are the others just for a remote readout or do i need 12v, etc for basic operation?
- will the indicators on the box function with only the two connections?
- I plan on installing between the shore power connection and the main breaker in my aft laz. - correct?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
That looks to be an old style GI, not a "Fail Safe" GI. The LEDs show if the diodes in the GI have failed so you know if you are protected. New models of GIs are Fail Safe, if the diodes blow, the the ground connection is maintained, but you don't have galvanic protection. In the old style, if the diodes blow you have galvanic protection but not AC ground protection.

This one on eBay, Marinco Guest 2530P 30 AMP Marine Boat Galvanic Isolator Shore Power | eBay, appears to be similar to yours and it has a power cable that connects to the unit to power the LEDs.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
thanks Dave,
Now i have another question - how do i determine which style i have?
That is an in-between GI where they created dummy lights to let you know if the diodes were still working. It is not fail safe but met the ABYC standards. Some of these can cause nuisance tripping with ELCI's and GFCI's and with the new NEC/NFPA standards now out for the land side I would strongly advise going with a "Fail Safe" model.

Jun 23, 2013
Beneteau 373 Newport
Maine,
As previously, with other questions, you have come thru again with a sound suggestion. So, how about a suggestion for a GI. (Got the one above from a friend that he never installed on a previous boat)
In my YC marina last summer quite a few of us saw rapid zinc loss. the Club is offering to check members boats but that doesn't ensure the culprit will have his boat checked.
To others reading this thread,
- I use Bed-it butyl tape from Maine Sail - I HIGHLY recommend.
- I added a smart gauge from MS - YES!
- MS saved me from removing my HEAVY 4D batteries last winter with his testing and reports - http://www.marinehowto.com/
Great savings for my back!
THANKS Maine Sail

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Maine,
As previously, with other questions, you have come thru again with a sound suggestion. So, how about a suggestion for a GI. (Got the one above from a friend that he never installed on a previous boat)
In my YC marina last summer quite a few of us saw rapid zinc loss. the Club is offering to check members boats but that doesn't ensure the culprit will have his boat checked.
To others reading this thread,
- I use Bed-it butyl tape from Maine Sail - I HIGHLY recommend.
- I added a smart gauge from MS - YES!
- MS saved me from removing my HEAVY 4D batteries last winter with his testing and reports - http://www.marinehowto.com/
Great savings for my back!
THANKS Maine Sail
I have a source for "fail safe" GI's that are not as expensive as other options, but I would need to check tomorrow on a price.