Fuel for "Alcohol Stove"

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Seriously, Mama Vallese (post #29 pic) just wants to make me a nice bowl of linguini with white clam sauce on board the vessel. Microwave won't work for her needs. Gotta have a working stove. Alcohol or otherwise...
if she can cook, and is willing to, then YES, you better keep her happy... and hurry up and get that stove working:mad:

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
So 25YL you must be Joe? Checkout "Winding Rivers Paddle Group" on Meetup.com. Once you login search for Wayne. I'll trade ya a beat and run up and down Cayuga, or a class 2-3 paddle through the Grand Canyon of PA, for a freak out on Ontario, this summer. My brother's a pontoon runner outta a nearby slip to you. He might not care for a boat that "hikes or heels". Both of us are boaters, but only one a sailor. Stay in touch.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I'm Joe and your on. I'll try the Cayuga Lake sail and I'll trade ya an Ontario adventure definitely. That Meetup thing is a great way to pick up crew. I wound up with one from Portugal who I swear is related to Magellan and steers by the sun and stars and one gal from Russia who is fearless on the foredeck and an accomplished open water swimmer. Another is a retired Master Unlimited merchant mariner and one who her dad used to sail out of Point Breeze.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Trying to get back on topic, apologize for the delay, but still need a little assistance from our fearless leaders...

After over 2 months of horribly busy weekends, I made my way back out to BlowMeAway today and took a few pics. The "Alcohol" stove is exactly that, "Denatured Ethyl Alcohol", although you could definitely burn 190 proof Everclear in it, albeit very expensive. You know, like a little for the Captain, a little for the Admiral, a little for the stove (dual purposing). Regardless, no doubt at this time what the fuel source is meant to be. This stove is a gimbaled Kenyon Homestrand, model 209/211. I've attached a few images of the stove for future reference, including the operation manual for this potentially bad actor. If one of you awesome administrators could throw this PDF file into the appropriate "Boat Info" forum, perhaps you would not receive such dumbass questions from sailors like me. I was unable to upload for reasons unknown. We're gonna light the stove in May 2016 once back off the hard...and yes I will be checking seals, leather cups, and bushings well before that time arrives. Thanks all for the previous responses...Wayner the Explainer

DSCF0108.jpg

Attachments

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Thanks for the follow up Wayne. That is exactly the one I pulled out of YOT minus the gimbals.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I've got the same, original, stove. See post #3. When you are ready to light it, make sure the burners are hot. Lighting burners that are not hot enough to vaporize the fuel is how flare ups happen. You don't have to ask me how I know. Good luck with it.