Fridge/Ice Box question

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We turn on the fridge when we launch the boat, and turn it off when we haul out. We upgraded to 320 watts of solar power, so often I don't turn on the battery charger when we are on shore power. The Ferris controller does a better job of charging the batteries than the charger that came with the boat.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have separate house and start so don’t worry about starting, but I do keep frig going at the dock. This has twice left me 100% discharged when some one unplugged me and one of my own stupidity.

To help battery life I installed a Blue Sea Low Voltage Disconnect on the refer. Sounds an alarm when battery is getting very low and disconnects the load. It was designed for ski boats with huge stereos and single batteries.

Just something you might consider if worried about starting on long cruises.

Les

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
We turn on the fridge when we launch the boat, and turn it off when we haul out. We upgraded to 320 watts of solar power, so often I don't turn on the battery charger when we are on shore power. The Ferris controller does a better job of charging the batteries than the charger that came with the boat.
Tom, any pictures of your solar panel mounting? Also part numbers. We don't have solar, but it's something I think about adding.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I know. I just wanted to see how Tom did it. His boat usage sounds more like ours than Jesse (that wild and crazy guy!! :)).
If you are on a mooring solar wings! I will put up a post soon but can send info if you need it before. I get almost all the solar I need from the two 100 watt wings .

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Yes but that's damaging your batteries. If I wasn't on my boat daily I would want to a 12.25v shut off. The food in the fridge is cheaper than new batteries.
Plus the m-LVD protects your batteries if something else decides to draw them down, if you wire it correctly. I put mine between the C terminal on the battery switch and the house loads. Turns out that the mounting holes line up with the Blue Sea battery switch.

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
To help battery life I installed a Blue Sea Low Voltage Disconnect on the refer. Sounds an alarm when battery is getting very low and disconnects the load. It was designed for ski boats with huge stereos and single batteries.

Just something you might consider if worried about starting on long cruises.

Les
I like that idea, thanks

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Welcome MikeToronto, Hope you decide on the 310 she is a great boat, we have owned ours for 4 going on 5 years and she gets better every year! We sail Lake Erie and beyond, she is stable easy to sail and a safe boat!
And if you join the association after purchase you get a 50% discount off BOATUS. That almost makes it worthwhile by itself! Welcome!

CTS

Dec 5, 2017
Catalina 27 pa
Welcome MikeToronto, Hope you decide on the 310 she is a great boat, we have owned ours for 4 going on 5 years and she gets better every year! We sail Lake Erie and beyond, she is stable easy to sail and a safe boat!
And if you join the association after purchase you get a 50% discount off BOATUS. That almost makes it worthwhile by itself! Welcome!
That reminded me, we were gonna join this. Is membership available online or just through snail mail?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Tom, any pictures of your solar panel mounting? Also part numbers. We don't have solar, but it's something I think about adding.
Sorry, I don't have a picture available, Rob, but what I have is two 160 watt panels mounted on davits. I upgraded from a single 135 watt panel. The new panels are from Hamilton Ferris Marine in Falmouth, MA, as is the MPPT controller. The Ferrris controller moniters the batteries and charges through the proper cycles: bulk, absorption, etc. The on-board charger pretty much just maintains a constant voltage.
Part NOs. are: panel KD-250GX, controller PB200. If you call Eric at 508-743-9901, he can set you up with panels, cables, controller and anything else you might need.

Mar 28, 2018
Catalina 310, hull #315 Toronto
Thanks, Alan, and everyone else who's responded and made me feel welcome. This is such a great community, and I feel privileged to be exposed to your warmth and enthusiasm. :)
Yeah, we've pretty much settled on 310, with 320 being a fall-back plan, mostly due to 310's relative unavailability. To make matters somewhat harder, I would very much like to get a fin keel, and so many people went with the wing originally... If anyone here hears about a fin keel 310 being available, especially if she is a fresh water boat - please, don't hesitate to send me a private message.
On joining the association - of course! And whatever BOATUS is, assuming some sort of a meet-up - why not?

P.S.: Admiral has figured out what BOATUS is. Not applicable here in Canada, obviously, but nice to know. :p

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Tom,
Curious about what kind of dinghy you have and more important, where do you stow it when underway? Do you tow it or stow it?
bob

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Tom,
Curious about what kind of dinghy you have and more important, where do you stow it when underway? Do you tow it or stow it?
bob
Bob, we have the Walker Bay 8 with a Torqeedo electric outboard. We carry it on davits (see previous post with solar panels) usually, or on the foredeck for extended runs offshore. Its a great dinghy for rowing, carrying people or supplies, or sailing (we have the optional sail kit).
When stowed on the foredeck, it fits nicely upside down just forward of the mast, with the bow of the dinghy resting on the anchor locker hatch. I put old seat cushions under the transom, and a pad under the bow, and tie the bow eye to the forward cleats of Andante and the aft quarters to the shroud chainplates. I would further secure it with lines over the hull in the case of foul weather.
If I need access to the anchor locker or the cabin hatch, I attach the spare jib halyard to the bow eye of the dinghy and lift the front of the dinghy up to level or higher. At that point, I might tie the painter off to stanchion bases to stabilize the dinghy. To launch the dinghy, I again use the jib halyard on the bow eye and lift the dinghy straight up and swing it over the side. My WB 8 has the inflatable collar, so it is an easy matter to set it right side up in the water without swamping it.
The WB 8 tows very nicely, but I usually only tow for short distances, like from the dock to a mooring.
IMG_2404.jpg

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Tom,
Looks like a good option and of course you have davits just like innthe picture! But even without davits stowing it on the bow is a good option I do not have because my inflatable is too wide to fit on the foredeck. Anyway, good to know about the walker bay 8.
bob

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
That reminded me, we were gonna join this. Is membership available online or just through snail mail?
The form is on-line here, but a paper check has to be submitted with the form through the mail. Part of our effort to keep costs (and membership fees!) as low as possible.