Fresh water pump problems

Nov 25, 2013
Catalina 32mk11 Chesapeake Bay
The fresh water pump on my 320 seems to "burb" every 30 seconds or so when the water is not in use. I've cleaned the filter and have not detected any leaks (but still not ruling that possibility) It's so we turn the water off when not in use, which is really annoying.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It IS a leak. I had that problem, we replaced the hoses and clamps, silence. This is a recurring question. Other thing could be the pump itself, but rarely, RTFM (F stands for funny) for troubleshooting guide.

Nov 25, 2013
Catalina 32mk11 Chesapeake Bay
Thanks Stu. The problem now is locating the leak. For the pump to burp, does that mean the leak is between the pump and the faucets, or would that happen anywhere along the line from the tanks. I'm currently cruising south toward the ICW and the thought of tearing the whole boat apart is daunting.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
BTW my "once in a while" was air. Not enough time to vent to show a water leak. It was on my inlet water strainer's thread area.

Every time I would shut down for a few days, the air would "suck" back in.
Jim...

Jun 6, 2004
Catalina 38 San Francisco Bay
as for the obvious - check all faucets for drips. But from experience, leaks often occur in the hot water 'circuit'. The builders and previous owners often use nylon fittings and then over-tighten or use wrong-sized clamps. This causes the fittings to deform when they get hot and then cool into odd shapes that cannot retain the pressure in the system. Repeated heating and coolingg can eventually cause the fitting to fail.