Flooring Ideas

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Lonseal for ten hard years. Great stuff.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I replaced teak and holly for less than $600.00 three coats of West System epoxy and three coats of varnish. Did it all my self.
Knowing John’s boat I suspect the main cabin would consume 3 sheets 1 sheet for head, Passage way and V birth. The final sheet would make sure it all lines up ( plus get me the half sheet I need ;) ) Could be wrong and it would take careful templating to determine.

Les

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I've always wondered why one wouldn't put in a solid wood floor. I know it would be a lot of work to put down compared with some of these flooring materials. But very good long term prospects. No delamination like the plywood floors. Why is this not an option?

dj
A good question. My boats original sole (8-10 section pieces), was built in strips of glued up teak and holly. The strips looked to be slightly over 1/2" thick (you have to engineer thickness to spans beneath). It was left raw (for grip) in 1961.

When I bought the boat, the sole was about 35 years old and nearly black from dirt, but still sound.

I broke the rules and sanded it reasonably clean. I decided the wood needed some protection, so I coated it with standard gloss spar varnish(no grit). We find there is plenty of grip as the gloss was quickly foot worn, to a satin. It has 'tooth'.

After 15 heavily used seasons, with a family of four (and two dogs) onboard, the varnish - nearly flat gloss - is still protecting the wood.

You could use more affordable woods than Teak and Holly for a strip built floor. I might use Honduran mahogany with White oak thin strips between. I can buy both for under $10 a board foot, locally. I'd test glue the woods and break them apart to be sure the bond worked.
Xmas wide angle.jpg

Not particularly hard to build, easy to repair or re-glue if needed, doesn't delaminate, and will wear for decades with ease.

Just another option to using Teak and Holly plywood, which seems expensive.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I know I sound like a broken record, but Tom, that boat of yours is so beautiful. Thanks for the pictures.

Very good point about solid wood. The only real worry is in seasonal moisture changes that cause the solid wood panels to change dimensions across their widths. A rail glued across the ends or as a cross member underneath should help a lot.

- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Very good point about solid wood. The only real worry is in seasonal moisture changes that cause the solid wood panels to change dimensions across their widths. A rail glued across the ends or as a cross member underneath should help a lot.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Some of my sole pieces have battens screwed on the underside (some do not).

I think coating/sealing, all around, helps keep moisture levels in solid wood, under control. But you get seasonal expansion/contraction, with plywood(a bit less), as well.

I see solid wood as an affordable option in that the sheet T&H - if it is patterned correctly - can have a huge waste factor. Strip flooring, whether in a boat or a floor in a house, can have much less of a waste factor.

I like the composite materials and sheet stock, as well. Lot's of choices and different costs.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I replaced the teak and holly ply on the floor of our boat a couple of years ago. Marine teak and holly is few and far between where I live, and shipping a sheet is ridiculously expensive, so I made some "faux" teak and holly using some birch plywood and some creative staining.

Here's the piece before I peeled off the tape (you have to score the tape edges when taping to keep the stain from creeping)

View attachment 147951

After peeling the tape:

View attachment 147952

Finished floor. Sealed it with a couple of coats of epoxy, and several coats of polyurethane:

View attachment 147953

We've had it in a couple of years now with no issues.
Nice job, my floor needs a upgrade and your method might just be the answer. Only problem is I would need to use thin ply as I have some curve to my floor.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The solid floor idea was among my considerations. Was not sue about the application to the salon deck. I redid our kitchen, hall way and front door entry in 3/4 tongue & grooved maple over plywood subfloor. It has served well for the past 22 years. It was prestained-stained and sealed maple. Product out of Canada. Just now starting to show some age in spots. Years of dogs and living have challenged some of the boards. Certainly it has aged to a warm light yellow. Very comfortable and not evident unless you compare to a few of the boards still packaged in the store room.
The boat flexing and eventual water intrusion (we all know it occurs) has me thinking about the 10 year life expectancy I am placing on the job.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
I considered vinyl plank last year but a couple of flooring guys I know advised against it.
I ended up going the traditional route, teak/holly. Coated it with epoxy to protect it over the winter, need to varnish it once it becomes warm again. One thing I noticed, with only epoxy on it, sure is slippery. I'm hoping once it's varnished it's not.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
...One thing I noticed, with only epoxy on it, sure is slippery. I'm hoping once it's varnished it's not.
When you put the final coat of varnish on, make it nonskid by sprinkling salt or sugar on the wet varnish. Let the varnish dry, then dissolve and wipe up the salt or sugar with a sponge, wet rags, or whatever. It leaves an irregularly dimpled surface. Might want to test on a scrap piece first. I experimented with density of application, height from which the salt was dropped, etc. If you are doing this on the boat, salt is probably better than sugar, so as to not attract bugs. More info in a thread I created about replacing my soles in my H31.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Marine grade plywood with teak & holly veneer, works. A coating or two of sealer...poly on top. I redid the cabin sole of my Cal. First floor lasted over 25 years...if new one lasts another 25 years I'd be happy.
98570-f2d7fb6c326b5db4aff3eaff9a01dfbe.jpg 98572-95fb570c79ad3cc01e81a88db1b0d81a.jpg

Dec 28, 2015
O'DAY 322 Bridgeport CT
I am in the middle of the same winter project now. Wondering about the finish, is Polyurethane or varnish better?
Already used epoxy on the edges and undersides.
Any advise welcome...

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Put epoxy on the tops too. Water and wood are natural enemies.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I used Verithane for high tragic floors. I was afraid varnish would be too soft. They came out looking so much better

Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: For Varathane. You want a hard surface. Your inside the boat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I thought Varithane was a varnish.
and, I'm sure your floors are great Les, not tragic at all.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS