eye candy

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
that was the point, just a sailboat, seemingly without all the endless " got nothing to do with sailing gear" that so many use to overload their vessel while spending endless time and money fixing and maintaining said excesses, that slow the vessel down to a nice steady wallow.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
that was the point, just a sailboat, seemingly without all the endless " got nothing to do with sailing gear" that so many use to overload their vessel while spending endless time and money fixing and maintaining said excesses, that slow the vessel down to a nice steady wallow.
I appreciate that. Boats are not good houses.

I try to take more off my boat than I put on every year. It's not that some of the 'stuff' isn't nice to have but I find I don't need as much of it. My cockpit lockers aren't as bare as this but I try to keep lockers less than full, simply for ease of use. I get more, out of less stuff.

Great for sailing in light air and good for your head. :)

Cockpit lockers finished (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
May 25, 2012

palmer johnson built, alum. :)

i love vessels with "GREAT" visibility at the helm :)

on a ship the best view on the vessel is at the helm :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
hull speed? planing? tweeking the rig? old old designs? over 100 years old.......
back in the 40's 50's and 60's my cousins grew up on the water on lake minnetonka. a place called Mound. they and their friends played on the water every day.
minnetonka was a special place, magical for us kids. and there were Ascows.
1,800 lbs, 1800 sq ft of sail, old old design, old school sailing, these ain't no picnic boats, but loads of pure fun. it's all about the sailing :)

...and no keels :)
i found this video on the web

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
changing the rake on the fly, changing the bow of the mast on the fly, flying back stays with each tack, vang on then off with each tack, twin dagger boards switched with each tack, huge sq ft and no winches, deck sweeping boom, twin rudders, all while focusing on tactics of the wind and traffic, while balancing the boat with the crews weight.
it's a wet chess match :)
the boats have both inboard and outboard scuppers that at speed, suck the water out of the hull

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
as the driver, i sit next to the main trimmer. he or she holds allot of the horse power and of course the balance of the rig as i fell it in the rudders. the crew just makes it happen as i call out where i'm driving. i mostly keep my mind 'out of the boat' paying attention to the 'landscape' of the wind and the water and the obstacles. :)

May 25, 2012
all the lines are run under the deck and come up to each crew station on both sides of the deck. it takes allot of tickling to keep those right. :)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Thanks Jon. It sounds like a blast. It is always good to read your posts about sailing experience. You have a lot to offer.

-Will (Dragonfly)