Registered users don't see ads

Erickson 25, 1977 - Ready to buy, I have questions?

Discussion in 'Ericson' started by Hollymae D, Apr 21, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Hollymae D

Hollymae D

Joined Apr 21, 2017
    1 posts, 0 likes
    Erickson 25
    US Atlantic City, NJ Atlantic City
    My husband and I are are preparing to purchase the above boat. I am a little confused I see the center board weighs 2,000 or 2,500 pounds?? The boat weighs 6-7,000 pounds, ???

Curious what do you use to lift the centerboard?

The centerboard in the boat has not been lowered ever since this owner has had it. What have any of you done to release the board. We will see the boat for the first time Tuesday. If all goes well we will take ownership. The centerboard concerns me.

Are there other things that should concern me when looking at this boat?

Thank you in advance.

2. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    5,482 posts, 337 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    It's a concern of the PO if the board does not drop. See how well it works after he fixes it.

3. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    423 posts, 44 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    Anything else to worry about? The boat is over 34 years old. (The were last made in 1978.)

When you say the Owner says he never lowered the centerboard, that could be indicative of a lot things. To me, it's indicative of some combination of disinterest, lack of use of the boat, or just prevarication. (e.g., if you bough a used car and the previous owner said: I don't know if the electric windows work in the back seats -- or maybe the sunroof.)

The "ballast" on the Ericson 25 is 2,500 pounds of lead. The centerboard is hydro dynamically balanced -- it probably weighs less than 200 pounds -- it's balanced so that you have to pull it up. You should be able to pull it up with a small block and tackle or winch (or even with some muscle work). If the centerboard is "jammed", it could have growth in the "trunk" that has "crudded it up" -- or it could be bent or broken.

I think you should pay to have a surveyor look at the boat.

In the meantime: Search the web and research the Ericson 25. When it came-out, I thought it was a nicely made and good looking boat; but that was a long time ago. It was before I could even afford to own a boat.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=528 (Some drawings and specs)
    http://www.ericson25.com/2012/09/why-i-bought-ericson-25-part-iv.html (there may be a Part I, II, or III)
    https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/seaworthy-ship-ericson-25.88711/ (Some "threaded" comments on the boat)

4. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,394 posts, 340 likes
    Catalina 34
    US C34 San Francisco

Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.