Does anyone have experience using Ewincher or WinchRite?

Lorrie

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 320 BENICIA CA
I'm a retired woman who has sailed most of my life. I've had both shoulders operated on, so in order to keep sailing I need some extra help. The cost of power winches is prohibitive so I'm looking at all other options. Ewincher is from France and looks like a good design for the tune of 2200Euros. WinchRite is cheaper but looks awkward to use. I have considered just buying a cordless drill motor with the winchbit sold on ebay. I would love to hear from anyone who as actually pulled a mainsail up using such a device. Thanks!

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Winchrite is not awkward to use. It is much easier than the Milwaukee 28v rite angle drill I used to have. I hear there is a newer drill that is lighter

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have winchrite. Mostly use it for raising the Main. The wife bought it so she stood a chance of hoisting my sorry a$$ out of the water if I was knocked over and couldn’t climb the stern ladder.

Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What ever you choose test it that you can hold the power unit and wind the wind before your committed. There can be a lot of tork involved. You need a good hand hold and the ability to get your body behind the unit. Otherwise you could just pull your shoulder out of the socket as the power unit starts.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If your worried about being able to hold while cranking. You can always tie a line to the handle and attach it to something ~90^ to the handle.

Les

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
8638EAD9-9C01-4F76-8399-B09F0A55F0E2.jpeg

I had just taken this photo for a friend that sailed with us and watched me raise the main on my Hunter 340 with it. He wants to use the same set up. It will raise the the big main on my boat to within 6” or so, you have to hand crank the rest to get good tension on the halyard.
But, it will hurt you if you try to hold it by hand and aren’t strong enough or you don’t release the trigger if the halyard jams and the drill keeps twisting. It can hurt you a lot, like broken fingers or wrist. I brace it against my leg while it’s turning. I really do not recommend it for someone who does not use power tools on a regular basis and is familiar with and can handle the torque a drill like this can produce. A guy was using this same drill on a 12’ ladder at work and the bit jambed in the ibeam he was drilling and it twisted him and the ladder over on to the ground, only bruises luckily.

Lorrie

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 320 BENICIA CA
I like your set-up but agree I might hurt myself with it. I'm leaning toward the WinchRite because it's light and looks easy to hold onto if I get myself set-up and braced. Thank you!

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
We have a WinchRite and have no complaints. After a few years we had a problem with it. We heard reviews saying that the company wouldn’t provide support for the original models. However, even though ours was out of warranty, we contacted them, returned the unit, and they replaced some component returned it to us in like new condition at no cost. Based on our experience, we couldn’t ask for better support.

I agree with the observation that you want to have a firm grip on the unit when you pull the trigger - think about the torque you would have to apply to a winch handle and be prepared accordingly. I’d much rather have a WinchRite for use than a big power drill with h all the metal edges to gouge or nick our bright work. The unit also comes with AC and DC charging cords and the chuck to fit the winch. We are pleased with our purchase.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018
Hanse 371 West Vancouver
I bought a Winchrite a few weeks ago. Before that I used a massive Milwaukee right angle drill. There is no comparison. The Winchrite is smaller, lighter, and holds a charge much longer. I can use it one handed, the Milwaukee always took two hands.

Despite instructions to the contrary, I have used it to go up the mast. The halyard winch is a Lewmar 40 and in low gear it raised my 200+ pounds smoothly, and still had power left after two trips up. It charges on 12 volts or AC. At first I used the AC charger on shore power, but now I just leave it on the 12 Volt charger when not in use.

I use it for furling the jib, raising the main, and sheeting in the big genoa when it is blowing hard. All these tasks are accomplished with minimal drama.

Lorrie

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 320 BENICIA CA
Well I bought the WinchRite! The first one that came was a dud. Fully charged it managed to pull up the mainsail but then died! I returned it and received a new one from Sailology within 3 days. The new one has hauled the main up 2 times without recharging. I'm going to see how long it goes on one charge.

Threed

May 4, 2018
Hunter 38 San Pedro
I use an ewincher and love it, with one exception. The tall handle hits on part of the arch on a 38 Hunter, which means I cannot get a complete circle out of it. Not a bit deal but something to be aware of. Other than that I love it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a Milwaukee 90degree 18 volt battery operated drill with a winch bit. I bought it to allow people to rank me up the mast, but i use it regularly to raise my mainsail. I single hand a lot, and running the sail up Rajesh about a minute.

the drill is heavy. But it works well for raising the sail.

578CADA0-6DFD-4963-95FE-66DF860BD90E.png

Greg