Do you flush TP?

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
My personal preference is to do as i learned on charter boats... don't put anything but poop and pee in the toilet or if it clogs - you fix it. So, I've been bagging it.
But, I'm about to go on a 9 day trip with someone else who doesn't want to bag 9 days of TP. They are a boat TP flusher and believe that "marine" TP won't cause issues.
I still stand by my opinion, if it clogs - you fix it, but this time I'll be trapped with a clogged head for 9 days and don't want that either.
So, for my actual question... is the RV/Marine TP really really safe to flush on our boats? I'm concerned about the Y valve and the macerator pump out.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have been using the bag it on my boat and RV for a few years and do use the cheap Walmart
some times but don't know for sure because buy the super market brands lately and bag it .
Can't you have a bag and insist that they bag it and we brig a bunch of those super market bags
and mix in daily with regular garbage.
Nick

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Marine and RV TP is designed to be flushed. It breaks down very quickly. Never had a clog, in the head, pumpout, macerator.
I don't know where this "bag it" idea came from, but I find it quite distasteful.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Practical Sailor has tested this a number of times. Scott single plies work great. I like the "Extra Cushiony," since it takes considerably less. However, if you want see for your self, place some plies in a bowl of water for a few minutes and then stir lightly. The singles plies fall apart to nothing, so clogging is impossible. There is no purpose in bagging.

Kleenex, on the other hand, can survive the laundry and thus must never go in the head. This is not obvious and must be explained to guests. If you see a TP clog, it is probably actually Kleenex. Don't keep it in the head compartment.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Yes for about 40 years. Use specialty paper or just buy cheap single ply. We use Angel Soft septic safe. We always instruct on use including an admonition to not use more than 12-18 inches between a good flush and to not try pumping harder if they have a clog. Three clogs over time. One from a gal trying to flush a paper towel, another gal using much too much paper and trying to force the pump when it clogged. The other one was me and was caused by a badly restricted hose passage. My wife does try to get guests to bag since she doesn't trust them to follow instructions.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Disgusting might be a better word...

If flushing TP causes a problem, I think I'd get a new toilet.
Thirty years of cruising w/ many nights on the hook the manual-flush heads (Wilcox-Crittenden and Jabsco) have never clogged that I recall from TP. Once tracked down, a "clogging" problem has been hoses filled w/marine deposit. If you guard against that (e.g., fresh water rinses through the bowl and hoses before leaving the boat on each return), then you should be good. Also, change/replace the sanitation hoses every ten or so years.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I know a person who won't sail with her significant other because he insists on bagging.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Jeebus, you gotta love the prissiness of a certain segment of humanity. :laugh:

Reminds me of a joke: At the local high school, some of the girls had a penchant for lipstick, to the point of pasting up their gob and then imprinting the vanity mirror with their mark.
The principal became aware of this practice, and summoned the girls to the bathroom to explain themselves.
While the attendees sputtered their excuses, the janitor came in to wash the mirrors.
Taking a squeegee, he dipped the thing into a nearby toilet and proceeded to clean the mirror.
The practice of marking the mirror was subsequently abandoned.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I still stand by my opinion, if it clogs - you fix it, but this time I'll be trapped with a clogged head for 9 days and don't want that either.
So, for my actual question... is the RV/Marine TP really really safe to flush on our boats? I'm concerned about the Y valve and the macerator pump out.
Gimme a break--you'd "stand on principle" and go some n number of days w/ a clogged head b/c you assume that it's TP clogging if TP is being used, rather than get in there and fix it yourself or help to? What a skipper!!:yikes::yikes:

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
You guys are all very entertaining... love the answers so far.
And, I don't have any issue bagging, neither does my wife.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You've already gotten the same advice I'd have given you: use quick dissolve TP as sparingly as possible and flush it.
NOTHING else that doesn't pass through you...especially wet wipes. Inform your guests that flushing a wet wipe is a hanging offense...and you'll know 'cuz even just one is enough to clog any toilet, manual or electric...macerators cannot chew them up.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
we've been flushing for ten years now with no problems but it has brought up a question. My macerator is basically nonfunctional because everywhere we sail is a no discharge zone so we use the pump out service. Would a pump out boat or do it yourself pump out have a problem pulling a wet wipe or facial tissue? Not that I would ever and all our guests are informed that nothing but TP and whatever comes out of you is allowed in the toilet.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Would a pump out boat or do it yourself pump out have a problem pulling a wet wipe or facial tissue?
I imagine there's a slim chance that one could find itself flattened out against a tank fitting with a chance of blocking the flow. Due to the nasty work required to correct the problem, probably best to avoid them altogether.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Yea, where did this whole idea of bagging TP come from? It doesn't make any sense. This stuff is available almost everywhere, including Wal-Mart, Home-Depot, etc., etc.

SCOTT® RAPID-DISSOLVING TOILET PAPER
Scott® Rapid-Dissolving toilet paper breaks up four times faster than the leading toilet paper brand. Specially made for your RV, boat or septic system, this bath tissue is Scott® Clog-Clinic tested and approved.

From no less authority than the Clog Clinic! Test it, as someone suggested: drop a wad into a bucket of water and after a few seconds, stir it up.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
From no greater authority than the Clog Clinic!
I don't want to even want to THINK of what goes on at the clinic.

People eating great quantities of cheese, white bread, fried foods, and potato chips and then heading off to the clinic's head. All to be carefully measured on the Clog-o-Meter.

Someone, PLEASE :sick:put an end to this discussion.