Do I have a tall rig C27?

Jul 7, 2014
Catalina 27 New Bern
Hello Everyone,
Happy New Year! I had a quick question on my 1977 Catalina 27 that will hopefully be in the water in early spring. I bought this boat from a donation company and have spent the last 2 years replacing most of the major systems. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and can't wait to sail her in the spring.
I always assumed this boat was a standard rig. However, I have the mast on saw horses and it measures approximately 34' 10" from the bottom of the mast to the top of the mast head. It also has the bowsprit. So from what I have read online this might be a tall rig. Seems like I saw the the mast extrusion length was 34' 5" and most tall rigs had the bowsprit. Any insight would be appreciated and thank you! Jay

Mark48

Mar 1, 2008
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
look under the catalina boat information, I had a TR and I think it was a lot more than 34 feet.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Std Rig I: 34.00 J: 11.25 P: 28.67 E:10.50

Tall rig version available (w/mast moved aft.)
I: 36.0'
J: 12.2'
P: 29.67'
E: 9.67'
The easiest way is to measure the "J". (TR has longer foredeck) measured from stem to front of mast.. Standard rig J is 11.25 ft, Tall rig is 12.2. The sprit was an option for both standard and TR... The TR was higher aspect rig, higher hoist (P), shorter foot (E) on mainsail.... You can also check numbers on I.D. plate.. go to www.catalina27.org for details on that.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
While you have the mst down, take pictures of all fittings for future reference.

Jul 7, 2014
Catalina 27 New Bern
Thanks for the responses. I had seen that the “I” measurement on a Standard Rig was 34’6 and 36’ for the Tall Rig, which is why I always thought I had a Standard Rig. However, I did see on the rigging wire checklist diagram for the boat they had the Extrusion length for SR as 33’ and TR as 34’6, which is why I thought I might have a Tall Rig. When I read most(but not all) C27s with a bowsprit are a tall rig I thought I would double check on this forum. The Hull ID is CTYL3194M77D, but all I could find is the month, year and sail# from this unless I am missing something?

As I had mentioned, when I first got the boat I thought it was a Standard Rig. I measured the mast the other day to calculate bridge clearance and was just curious and will enjoy the boat regardless. Thanks again, Jay

jimg

Jun 5, 2004
catalina 27 dana point
You have a tall rig. The "I" measurement is from the headstay attachment at the top of the mast down to the deck, not the cabin. The bowsprit is another sure indicator. Congrats! They are faster and better balanced. I always wished I had one.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
When I have a question about a Catalina I call the manufacturer. They are very cooperative and will look up anything you ask them about your boat. All you have to do is provide them your HIN number. (818) 884-7700

Jul 7, 2014
Catalina 27 New Bern
Thanks again for the replies. John I took your advice and called Catalina yesterday. They looked up the Hull ID# and called me back this morning to let me know it was a Tall Rig. I thought that was great customer service on a boat they made 39 years ago! Thank you, Jay

Dec 7, 2014
Catalina 27 Alcova Boat Club
If you give Catalina a call and give them your hull number they will look it up and get back to you with what the original boat was sold as, Either Std or Tall rig.
I just went through this myself. When I purchased my boat I was told it was a tall rig. It was not. Mast extrusion was 33 feet.