Dinghy Storage - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2012
Ericson 32-II Chaumont
Spinnaker Halyard on to the deck

Hope it helps:

I drive a '76 Ericson '32 and use a 6' Pilot Dinghy that I mostly keep on the deck over the forward hatch, upside down, with four of those foam 'car top canoe pads' to protect the deck. I get the dinghy on and off with the Spinnaker Halyard and an extra hand to 'guide' the dinghy where I need to, place/remove the pads, and when we lower into the water we just use a small rope to momentarily hold the stern while I lower the halyard which is simply hooked to the tow hook on the bow...see a few pics.

Attachments

May 26, 2009
Oday 28 West Vancouver
I have been allowed by several Vancouver marinas to install a vertical dinghy rack on the edge of the dock. I don't have a photo, or the technology to send a drawing, but imagine an 'L' shape bolted onto the edge/side of the dock, with the (short) base of the 'L' at water level. The stern of the dinghy is pulled up against the rack, on top of the base, and the bow is pulled upright by a line.

The dinghy is then lashed to the rack, and is supported by its transom. This will only work easily, of course, on a wooden dock, where lag bolts can be bashed and screwed into the dock. Angle iron is the most effective material to work with, especially if it's slotted for bolting together, like a Mechano set. (Do they still make Mechano sets?)

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I've winched my 10' Walker Bay to the bow of the boat with a spin halyard many times. Much easier with two people but one can do it. I became uncomfortable with leaving it upside down on the bow because it would have blocked the escape route of the fowared hatch in the event of an emergency--boat sinking, fire. My marina does have storage so I leave it there and tow it on longer trips.

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
Hope it helps:

I drive a '76 Ericson '32 and use a 6' Pilot Dinghy that I mostly keep on the deck over the forward hatch, upside down, with four of those foam 'car top canoe pads' to protect the deck. I get the dinghy on and off with the Spinnaker Halyard and an extra hand to 'guide' the dinghy where I need to, place/remove the pads, and when we lower into the water we just use a small rope to momentarily hold the stern while I lower the halyard which is simply hooked to the tow hook on the bow...see a few pics.
Thanks. I realized my dinghy is actually 10ft which explains why it's so heavy. I'm doing essentially the same thing as you but using a block and tackle to deal witih the extra weight. Great idea to use the foam cushions!

YVRguy

Jan 10, 2013
Hunter 34 Vancouver, BC
I have been allowed by several Vancouver marinas to install a vertical dinghy rack on the edge of the dock. I don't have a photo, or the technology to send a drawing, but imagine an 'L' shape bolted onto the edge/side of the dock, with the (short) base of the 'L' at water level. The stern of the dinghy is pulled up against the rack, on top of the base, and the bow is pulled upright by a line.

The dinghy is then lashed to the rack, and is supported by its transom. This will only work easily, of course, on a wooden dock, where lag bolts can be bashed and screwed into the dock. Angle iron is the most effective material to work with, especially if it's slotted for bolting together, like a Mechano set. (Do they still make Mechano sets?)
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately Coal Harbour Marina uses cement docks.

Oct 1, 2012
Hunter 37 c Ventura
I think it depends on your dinghy. I happen to have an Achilles inflatable with a plastic semirigid bottom, about 8' long, weight about 80 lbs. Add a 6 horsepower Yamaha which weighs about 80 lbs, and you have a nice combination that will run like a scalded dog. The problem is, the dinghy has no space available on the deck of my Hunter 37c, and it is difficult to muscle it up and over the stanchions. Instead, I had an arch fabricated that serves several purposes: First, with pulleys and locks, the dinghy can be hoisted to hang above the water behind the transom. The arch is used to support the radar dome, and will be used to support (future) solar panels and a wind generator. Finally, the arch will be used as support for the aft part of the (future) bimini cover.
There was room in my slip to tuck the dinghy between the aft of the sailboat and the dock, but when first hoisted out of the water, my three-month-old dinghy had a foot-long beard of marine growth hanging from the bottom! So there is a definite advantage to keeping your dinghy "high and dry". -Greg

Jan 15, 2009
2 460 Stonington, CT
Davits!

I finally solved these problems by installing davits, and buying a stock dinghy cover to protect from sun and weather. It works perfectly, doesn't take up any deck space, and I never have to lift it. (I also leave a 9.5 hp YAMAHA motor on it ready to go)
Martin Piecuch

Status
Not open for further replies.