Dinghy Davits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babe

May 23, 2009
2 HUN 38 Cape Canaveral
I'm in the market for a new set of Davits for my Hunter38. I have been looking at MarTek, St Croix and Garhauer. I'm looking for something easy to install , and at a good price.
Thanks

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I put on Garhauer 1.25" tube (large size) last year. One day install with a helper. Garhauer very nice to deal with. Final price about $1100 at my door.

This is not to say the others aren't good also. I only have experience with Garhauer.

May 7, 2004
Hunter 38 Little River, SC
I added the Hunter davits directly to the arch. One day to install. Pricey but satisfied. Purchase directly from Hunter......series 40 stainless davits.
Steve

Babe

May 23, 2009
2 HUN 38 Cape Canaveral
I like the Garhauer, but I'm concerned about how to attach them. How do they fit on the back rail ?

Apr 6, 2007
Hunter 38 Owen Sound, Ontario
Hunter 38 Davits

Hello,

Like Steve we put the Hunter Marine on our 2005 Hunter 38 and have been very pleased with them. They clamp directly onto the arch so there are no issues with having to drill holes in your boat and access to the stern lockers is not restricted. I contacted Hunter directly (customerservice@huntermarine.com) on files by email before I purchased. Bought from out local Hunter dealer and I was able to haggle a bit price. Installed in about an hour with the help of my wife and 2 teenagers.

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Like Them

I like the part about no drilling and a no brainer installing them and look very nice with plenty room it looks like in photo.
I would love it if they fit on my 36,they were pricey if I remember maybe like $2000 yes or no.
Nick

L

Liberty-4

Ocean Marine

I recommend checking with Ocean Marine Systems and do a comparison. I bought their davits for my last boat (376)....easy installation, good product and good price.

Gray
S/V Liberty Call

Oct 10, 2008
Catalina 445 Yorktown
Also, check out the Forespar davits. They fit nicely on the 386. Just attach the rail fitting to the aft seat rails and place the foot of the davit vertically atop the lazzarette (back side of hinges where it's easy to access the through-bolts of the davit foot). Holds 175#s each - which is plenty for most dinghys. About $1000.00 - do a Google search for best prices.

Babe

May 23, 2009
2 HUN 38 Cape Canaveral
WOW, Good information, Will check on all of the suggestions. OSM is just down the road and Hunter is across the street. Will let you know what we get. Thanks you

Dec 15, 2008
Hunter 38 Honolulu, HI
H38 Davit system.

I'm in the market for a new set of Davits for my Hunter38. I have been looking at MarTek, St Croix and Garhauer. I'm looking for something easy to install , and at a good price.
Thanks[/quote]

I have used the Martek 370 system on my H35.5 and removed them and reinstalled them on my H38. I purchesed them as an ebay auction direct from Martek. They are very simple to install on the jump seats using the standard pad system that it comes with for the top mount. The bottom mount I used a outside eye end$10x2 witha angle base hinge $10x2. With the dingy up in the air I am still able to sail hard without the dingy scooping water. The system on my H38 has been installed for 3.5yrs and works great. At the dock the boat is aft in, to enable the walk thru and we turn each davit 90 degrees to the outside to decrease the over all boat length in the marina. I

Jul 4, 2009
Hunter 386LE Gulf Shores, Alabama
I have noticed 2 small areas about 3" each located above the rub rail on the swim transom and either side of the swim ladder at the very back of the 2004 386. I wonder if these are mounting spots for a davit system; one that Hunter had in mind when they designed this boat? Anyway, I too am looking for a good, managable davit system.

May 22, 2004
Hunter h41 San Francisco
I just installed the Garhauer for about 1100. I have a 2008 41 and seats are longer then in older boats so I had to do some modifications. However, the install was really rather easy.

Jul 4, 2009
Re: Hunter 38 Davits

Steve and Gordon: You guys help me out here before I make a big Mistake. I THINK you have describe a inflatable dinghy davit system that are hoist attached to the arch so that the dinghy is carried slung and riding securley beneath the arch. If so, in my boat that would be about where my face would be if I were standing at the helm, hands on the wheel. So, either you guys have center-cockpit rigs, or I am missing the big picture in here somewhere. ( and, believe me, I miss that and many other things often). Please clarify. signed, blind eye.

May 7, 2004
Hunter 38 Little River, SC
Shoeless,
The Hunter series 40 Davit is a system of welded stainless tubing which clamps onto the existing stainless arch and extends aft over the swim platform. Capacity is 250 lbs., sufficient for a 10 ft rib and OB in the under 6 hp range. I hang a Walker Bay 10 from mine and row it everywhere. It incorporates two spreader bars and two blocks for lifting/lowering, raises the Walker Bay enough to access the swim platform for boarding from dockside stern to, and can be secured laterally and fore/aft with lines sufficient to make the Gulfstream crossing. We sat through TS Noel (October/November 2007)with the dink up while riding at anchor in Taylor Creek, Beaufort NC. The only loss was my hat.
Steve

Jul 4, 2009
Thanks Steve, I've been chasing down a custom design davit system, because I could not figure out how this Hunter 40 system fit the rig. You have convinced my to get more from Hunter on this H 40 davit. If it works out I'll buy you a new hat.

Jul 4, 2009
Ocean Marine Davits

This from Mike Thomas @ Ocean Marine. Oddly enough it was Mike Thomas @ Hunter Marine who gave me their number and told me they made their davits.

<<Hunter themselves build arch mounted davits, but only for the 41, 44 and most recently, the new 49. As far as I am aware, they have never offered this for the 380/386. Their arch/davits were originally offered for the 2003/04 winter boat show special, about the time they were discontinuing the 386 and introducing the new 38. I know this because we partnered with Hunter for that promotion, and did our systems for the models not done by Hunter.

I attached a photo of what we do offer for the 386 - a rail mount davit system. The photo is of a 386, one of the few that Hunter did with a navy blue hull. We have many different options based on the weight of dinghy and motor you want to carry.

If that is of interest to you, I would be pleased to work up a price once I know how much dinghy and motor you are dealing with.

I look forward to your reply. Cheers for now!

Best regards....Mike Thomas/Ocean Marine Systems 800-883-2848>>

Attachments

Babe

May 23, 2009
2 HUN 38 Cape Canaveral
Hi All, Thanks for the infomation. I called or e-mailed OSM, Hunter, MarTek and Garhauer. We, decided on Garhauer. Receivied the best information from Mark at Garhauer and a good price. It took me about 6 hours to install, with out any help, and I was very deliberate. We are very happy with quality of the unit and the ease of installation. Thanks Again and Have Fun.

kan

Oct 2, 2008
Hunter 356 Grimstad
Re: Hunter 38 Davits

Hi, all.
I am chasing information about the Hunter Davits for direct mount on the arc. It looks like Hunter has stopped marketing these, as they refer to Ocean Marine davits.
I have a H-356 (2003).Hunter Davits has not been designed for this boat. I believe that if I get hold of some pictures, and possibly some drawings, I could make the neccessary modification to fit my boat. To me, it looks like an excellent idea to utilize the arc, so I do not understand why this informationj is so hard to get at. Could anyone of you help me out here?

T

tsunamita

Hunter 356 Davits

I am going on the Baja Ha-Ha in two weeks with my hunter 356. I am in the process of fitting davits. I was going to make custom off the arch but the contractor I was using is a flake so now I'm back to square one. Will call people mentioned on this thnread and will post any info I get if you can do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.