Diesel smell in rear cabin.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Nice job on the dual filters. Where is the bulkhead you mounted them on? Mine is located where your old one was and is a pain to change. I like your setup.

Jul 1, 2017
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
Behind the engine, you can just see the Sail Drive in the bottom right of the picture and the muffler at the bottom.
I cast the tray out of fibreglass, the drain has a brass fitting lifted from a Volvo heat exchanger.
Neil

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I had a fuel hose leak once and found that simple green really works great for cleaning
a fuel spill and I use simple green to clean every year all around and under our bed every year
and has a less smell to it after using for cleaning and my wife is sensitive to smelling cleaners.
Nick

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Very neat. Why the hole that fuel could leak out (or be drained ) from the plastic containment?

Jul 1, 2017
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
....so that when you change the filters any Diesel can be drained out into a container, plenty of space below for it. You could do without the drain valve, and just use rags....the drain valve is a brass one, so should not leak when closed, but it is just for convenience. Any diesel "spillage" caught after changing the filters would be drained and the container cleaned thoroughly.
Neil

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Tippsynippertoo and Jerry Clark H536 SV Persi
Thank you for reaching out folks. Just one source for future reference on that model. There are many posts on JAVA by Jim Seamans which are valuable source of information that he posted. Sadly Jim is deceased but wanted to point out his comments that might be useful with your model boat.

Jul 1, 2017
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
BINGO!

The new filler hose received, went to fit it to find that the aperture in the rear bulkhead behind the fuel tank for the hose to pass through is not in the correct place. I imagine that the filler hose was fitted to the tank, then the tank inserted into its bay & bolted down. Because of the miss-match it placed tremendous pressure on the side (bottom) of the filler hose. This stress has caused deterioration of the hose to the point that it leaches smell.
Very annoyingly the new hose was about 4" too short, so in desperation I cut off the damaged end and refitted it......no more diesel smell.

Neil