Daysailer Ladder

Jul 25, 2016
O'Day 20 Dennisport
Hello,
I have an 86 O'Day daysailer 17' and I'd like to get a ladder for it. Can anyone recommend one that has worked for them? Is it better to have a permanent one on the transom or a hook on one on the side?

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Our local Flying Scot fleet is fond of this telescoping style: https://flyingscot.com/store/product.asp?P_ID=2094
It's probably best to have one mounted to the transom. If you were to fall out, and maintain contact with the boat, but you had a removable side style, how would you put it on to get back in? Also, some boats might not like the weight of someone climbing up the side, in which case the transom would be better.

Jul 25, 2016
O'Day 20 Dennisport
Does it telescope up and swing up and clip into those clips? How wide is it? That might work. I guess I'd have to cut out an access hole to tighten nuts on the inside of the transom.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On a small light boat I think transom hung is best. Something over the side will list the boat as you try to climb up from the water, making an uphill climb. On the transom there will be some dip of the stern but it will be a whole lot easier to climb up. You also need at least two steps in the water. You may have to add hand rails to grab on your way up. You need to have a way to get out of the water that works. It's a safety thing. Side hung ladders don't work well on smaller boats.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Does it telescope up and swing up and clip into those clips? How wide is it? That might work. I guess I'd have to cut out an access hole to tighten nuts on the inside of the transom.
It telescopes, and swings up and attaches to the transom so that it doesn't drag in the water. It is also deployable from in the water, which is a big concern. The Flying Scot has an aft deck, so that's why they also list the grab handle. The transom in my old Harpoon 4.6 was only 3" thick, so one could grab the top of the transom. I don't know the DS well, but I think DS1 had an aft deck, so grab handle would be useful, but DS2 has a transom you could grab with no aft deck.

Oct 1, 2009
American Sail 18 American Sail 18 Everywhere
Bass Pro has a bolt on two step one with a spring that keeps it out of the water. It retails for $89.00

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I installed a stainless telescoping ladder on my 21 ft Hunter daysailer. The ladder was only $125 from West Marine and they have a variety to fit to your particular transom shape, including ones with stand-offs for the flat stern you have. Because it was offset on the stern (due to the rudder), I had to do some shimming with Starboard to have it vertical when it was in the water.

We have those Daysailors at our community sailing school - nice little boats. Their main feature is that they are remarkably light (600 lbs) so have light decking. I suggest buying some serious SS backing plates from a local metal shop to avoid pulling the attachment points out of the deck. Due to the leverage, the force you will get on the attachments when a 200 lb person steps on the end of that ladder will be on the order of 1,000 lbs! If you get a ladder with transom standoffs, you may want to reinforce those areas as well so you don't shove the transom in when boarding.

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
Dang it, every time I read threads on here I gain another project but heck, what are boats for. I gotta get a ladder. I know my wife will want one....and me too.

OMG--found my ladder already. $56 is a steal.
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/-Ma...&ad_type=pla&gclid=CPHqwMjR6tECFYhbfgodQFkJ-Q

I am wondering because of the rub rail lip on the transom of the DS1, this ladder might reek havoc on that extruding lip---thoughts? Maybe I could rig up some heavy duty rubber pieces to go between the ladder rails and the transom to make up that inch or so extruding rub rail.

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
OK who has installed a transom ladder on their Daysailer? I am just starting to but the last thing I have to decide on is how to strengthen up the transom deck. The ladder in my above post is the one I bought (gorgeous well made ladder for $40 bucks). I am debating on adding a 1/8" steel plat underneath the deck covering that half of the deck the ladder will be on or do I use Triax and embed it in epoxy? I am also almost certain I will put two stainless steel metal plates 4" wide by 12" long going from the back of the seat to the bottom of the rear deck to also give it more support. I have also ordered 2 stainless steel 4" stand offs which I will mount on the ladder which will put more of the body weight on the transom and not on the deck as one climbs up.

I would just love to hear from others who have mounted a ladder on their Daysailer transom.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Here is an idea for mounting a ladder on the stern of a Day Sailer, from a DS 1 Owner (not me, I have a DS II).
Other than not covering the boat name, I'm not sure why they mounted the ladder in such way as to block use of the kickerpit?

Attachments