Daysailer 2: clew outhaul cleat?

Aug 20, 2015
Oday daysailer Nantahala
Hi there,
I've recently acquired a 1974 daysailer 2 and am in the process of replacing the lines etc. I'm almost done but can't figure out where to cleat off the clew out-haul. Should I add a cleat near the end of the boom OR I'm considering a cheek block with a cleat about 2/3 of the distance to the mast to allow for easy adjustment.

Small boats I've sailed before don't really seem to worry about adjusting tension on the out-haul unless your racing or fastidious with your sail trimming.

Thoughts?

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
put the block near the tack end so you can adjust it while the sail is out - 2/3 of the way forward is about right

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Alternate block-action outhaul.jpg DS II_jibsheet correction.jpg Block-Action Outhaul_ODAY.jpg There should be a V-shaped jamb cleat located about midway along the starboard side of the boom to take the outhaul. At least that is what my boat has (1979 model). I find that the outhaul line slips a bit In that cleat so I add a couple of half-hitches around the outhaul after tensioning the line. I rarely adjust mine, but if it is blowing strong, but not quite enough to reef, I often tighten the outhaul to flatten and depower the sail resulting in less heeling.
Below I have attached pictures from my expanded owners manual, including one drawing of how I rigged up my outhaul (originally it was just a single line run from the clew through an eye on the boom end-cap, then forward to the cleat. I think that if I ever had to replace my boom, I would install a regular horned cleat instead of the V-shaped cleat.

Aug 20, 2015
Oday daysailer Nantahala
That's great, appreciate your replies. I saw that v-jam cleat but when I tried to jam a piece of rope in it it wasn't very effective. I figured it was something for a boom vang system, that's what confused me. I drilled the rivets out today and removed it, I've gone for replacing it with a regular horned cleat. Thanks for clearing that up.

Will D

Aug 22, 2018
O'Day Daysailer Pueblo Reservoir
originally it was just a single line run from the clew through an eye on the boom end-cap, then forward to the cleat
Can you illustrate or explain the original outhaul setup? I'm trying to set up my Daysailer and I don't have the cheek block (nor do I know how to install one, as I'm new to sailing). I'm confused as to whether the line ran through one of the eyes on the boom endplate (which is in your pictures) or through the single eye on the metal tab that's bolted to the end of my boom (which is not in your pictures). Thanks if you can help.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Different model DaySailors used different outhaul rigs, depending on year and mfg. my original DS1 just had a cleat on the boom, later models had the tackle to facilitate adjustment. class rules don't regulate it, so you can do whatever you want that works for you. My later model DS had the 2 part tackle Sunbird sent you and that worked well

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The "stock" setup most years (if not all years?) was simply a line run from the clew of the sail, through one of the holes in the top of the boom-end fitting, then forward to a cleat near mid-boom, My boat has a sort-of jam-cleat that looks like a "hat-shaped" stainless-steel fitting with a "V" cut out of one side. I upgraded to a home-made version of the "Block-Action-Outhaul" that O'DAY offered as an option. I really should amend my Manual to include this original setup more clearly.

Attachments

Will D

Aug 22, 2018
O'Day Daysailer Pueblo Reservoir
Sunbird, I rigged the "alternate block-action outhaul" and am very pleased with the way it handles.

May 31, 2023
O'Day Daysailer 3 Richmond, VA
I’m still confused. There are two cheek blocks on the starboard side of the boom. Am I to understand they are for the Outhaul or the jiffy reefing?