Current State of Things

Sep 7, 2018
Chrysler C-22 Battle Creek
Do we need to get off your lawn too? ;-)
??? I think you misunderstand me. I never said, or would suggest we should be reckless and throw all caution to the wind. Taking absurd risk for no reason is just plain stupid. Like your nephew, I work in Emergency Services. So I fully understand the need to serve whenever and wherever the call for help comes. And at the same time wonder why someone would willingly put them selves at risk.
The temperatures outside this week (at least around here) are no joke. Exposed body parts can suffer tissue damage in minutes. And even covered can suffer injury in a very short time. I would not argue that point with you. I dont think anyone is trying to.
I am 45 years old. I have been around the block a few times. Its only been a few short decades since I was a kid. And when I was a kid, we enjoyed a "snow day" when we had school canceled a few times. But they were legitimate snow days. Around here now, it seems we will cancel for nearly any reason.
There is a trend toward making everything "wimpy". Many in our culture today, get offended at (insert your make believe outrage here), want everything handed to them, refuse to put in the difficult work it takes to succeed, expect to be be compensated wildly above what a position warrants, etc
Am I taking this too far......you may think so, but I do not. And I dont think I am the only one who is concerned about the overall "whussification" that seems to be happening everywhere.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
We just a had a rather bizarre event a few hours ago (maybe between 3 & 4?). Snow was coming down and it was relatively windy and gusty. I'm working in my office and I hear a roaring noise outside. I look out the window and it must have been 60 MPH plus. With snow, it was near total white-out. I've never seen a wind like this in the winter, not even on top of a mountain. It was like one of those summer wind-shear events. It was really intense for about 5 minutes (or less) and gradually diminished. Weather advisories were calling for gusts up to 50 but this seemed like it exceeded by a long shot. We're in the suburbs with hills and forests surrounding us, so it's not like an open landscape where it could even be worse. It seemed like one of those events you read about on Mt. Washington. I'm curious how high the winds were clocked and how widespread this event was.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
We're in the suburbs with hills and forests surrounding us, so it's not like an open landscape where it could even be worse.
It's possible the hills and forests contributed to some venturi effect that took a 50 mph gust and sqeezed it between two or over a hill, funneling it through a wide gap in the trees that your house was sitting in. I think 35 knots of wind is a lot. 50 would seem like a serious blow to me. I mean, 50 knots of wind can look like a hurricane, especially if there is snow to pick up and carry around. Funnel that 50 knots between two hills, or over one, their could easily be a local 60 knot wind.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
We just a had a rather bizarre event a few hours ago (maybe between 3 & 4?). Snow was coming down and it was relatively windy and gusty. I'm working in my office and I hear a roaring noise outside. I look out the window and it must have been 60 MPH plus. With snow, it was near total white-out. I've never seen a wind like this in the winter, not even on top of a mountain. It was like one of those summer wind-shear events. It was really intense for about 5 minutes (or less) and gradually diminished. Weather advisories were calling for gusts up to 50 but this seemed like it exceeded by a long shot. We're in the suburbs with hills and forests surrounding us, so it's not like an open landscape where it could even be worse. It seemed like one of those events you read about on Mt. Washington. I'm curious how high the winds were clocked and how widespread this event was.
Scott the entire state was hit like that albeit at different times. Here in Toms River it accrued about 4:30 PM. Not sure of the wind speed. The local weather called it a winter squall!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That explains our daughters text (Family on messages), at 4:01pm yesterday, from Manhattan:

....."We just had a tiny blizzard"....