creaking bulkhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eric stones

I bought my 1978 30 last year and have noticed that there is a creaking sound when under sail comming from the bulkhead on the starboard side. I have felt the bulkhead move up and down about an eighth of an inch and there appears to be only 2 bolts holding it down to the bottom of the boat. Does anyone know the proper way to keep the bulkhead from moving. I was planning to bolt an "L" brace made from either aluminum or stainless attaching the bulkhead to the fiberglass just under the seat cushion adjacent to the bulkhead. I thought a piece about 10" long with 4 bolts on each side of the "L", I thought I'd redrill new holes for the 2 bolts at the base of the bulkhead as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P

patrick e. boole

SOLVED

this problem and about 399 pges of others are in the great tech manuel compilled by tech notes in mainsheet magazine. for 20 dollars join the cat. association and in the magazine they send you order this notebook. i bought one and all the modification that people have done for their 30's are in there and the bulkhead problem is addressed. good luck

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Glass it in

Production boats are known for their creaking bulkheads because just tabbing them in place is easier than glassing in the whole thing. Bulkheads are structural and, IMHO, should be glassed in on a boat that is likely to take a pounding. Most production boats aren't in a situation to get beat up, so it's really not an issue most of the time. If the creaking bothers you, you could glass it in yourself. It's not really that hard and would give you the added comfort of knowing that bulkhead isn't going anywhere! All you need is some, oh, I'd say 4" fiberglass tape & some epoxy. Cut a few chunks about 7 or 8" long and epoxy them on either side of the bulkhead. This should take care of it. LaDonna

J

John Nunnerley

Same thing in Sydney

We have the same boat and the same creaking. Two rather large attachment screws have fallen away and the drilled holes are no longer aligned. It seems that glassing in is the answer. Let me know how you went. Regards, John nunners@bigpond.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.