Considering purchasing a 1995 Catalina 270

Oct 18, 2012
Hi All,

I'm considering purchasing a 1995 Catalina 270. Can anyone who owns the boat tell of their general experience with it? Also, are the any particular things I should ask the surveyor to be on the lookout for when the boat is inspected? Thanks!

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
I have owned my 1996 since 2012 and couldn't be happier. The boat sails very well and has no bad habits.
The things I have had to fix
New toilet
2 opening port gaskets
New batteries
Not a long list. The big things I did to improve the boat was to put a leaf in the salon table which gives batter access to the front of the boat. I also added a folding prop which I talk about that is currently in the big boat forum under folding props.
The website you want to visit is
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Catalina270/info :)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Saw your other thread, sounds like you are looking at a lot of options. I don't know either boat well, but I have two comments that may be helpful. One: what drove us to Hunter when looking (as opposed to Catalina) was the width of the side decks, and the ability to move forward quickly on deck for sail handling or docking situations.
Two: Unless you have plenty of money to throw at surveyors, you may want to try and decide on what specific model works best for your needs, then look at as many copies of that boat as you can find, before surveying. It's still a buyer's market, at least in FL, so you needn't feel rushed.

A final thought: Generally speaking, it is cheaper in the long run (and a lot less hassle) to find a boat already equipped with the things you want on the boat, rather than retrofitting things like solar, wind generator, air conditioning, etc. Good luck, and have fun with the search.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 31_83-87 ASC GA
I purchased a 1995 a year ago and am very happy with the boat. Sails very easily especially with the jib only. I also had some leaking port lights I had to reseal , But overall the boat is in fantastic condition !!! And one of the best parts about a Catalina is every part is available from catalinadirect.com

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
We have a 1996 and are very happy with it. I'm impressed with the ease of access to everything that requires maintenance, and we've done a sizeable list of upgrades. The boat is at the upper limit of what could be considered a "trailer boat", but up here in the frozen north, you have no choice.
It sails well, and the sail handling systems are well thought out.
The Yahoo group is quite active, and just like SBO, there are a number of people there with first hand experience.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
There is a C270 at our club and I've always admired it. Catalina did a good job of maintaining a nice profile while still maximizing space and volume, something they totally failed at on the C260. The owners love the boat. It's not super competitive on the race course, but they are having too much fun to notice.

Aug 1, 2011
super competitive on the race course
Bool. I could get some black paint for the sails and we could run circles around that blue boat over there. :)
(on the trailer, in the parking lot)

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
A final thought: Generally speaking, it is cheaper in the long run (and a lot less hassle) to find a boat already equipped with the things you want on the boat, rather than retrofitting things like solar, wind generator, air conditioning, etc. Good luck, and have fun with the search.
A very good point

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
We have a 1994 C270 and we love it. Things to consider:
- huge cockpit. we like it very much, but the cabin top winches are far from the wheel
- as standard, it does not have the hardware to fly spinnaker. You may need to add turning blocks and additional winches on the coaming for that. Interestingly, the spin halyard is standard.
- the aft cabin is not the highest; not an issue for us, but anyone with more than 80 kg around his belt might complain
- the main cabin is an open concept. Great if you are sailing with a small crew (e.g. two), but if the v-berth people want privacy, they won't get it.

I don't find the side decks narrow. Additionally, the shrouds are connected to the side of the cabin (as opposed to going to the rail). So access to the bow is excellent.

mdz

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Bool. I could get some black paint for the sails and we could run circles around that blue boat over there. :)
(on the trailer, in the parking lot)
Come on down! I'll have the paint ready. ;^)

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Loved my 270. Lots of room for a 27...got used to the cabin top primary winches, although I had an autopilot for single handing.
Not sure what a C260 is....

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Loved my 270. Lots of room for a 27...got used to the cabin top primary winches, although I had an autopilot for single handing.
Not sure what a C260 is....
Yeeeee.....I didn't notice before that it has cabin top primaries. I single-hand my Catalina 28 a lot (even when my wife is on it), and appreciate the primaries being accessible at the wheel (conventional location).

If I really liked a boat, and it was in the condition I wanted, at the price I wanted, I suppose I could overlook the winch location. Maybe.

Aug 1, 2011
Aft winches and turning blocks are arguably the best upgrade. The Garhauer Easy Glide cars give that thought a run for it's money though.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yeeeee.....I didn't notice before that it has cabin top primaries. I single-hand my Catalina 28 a lot (even when my wife is on it), and appreciate the primaries being accessible at the wheel (conventional location).

If I really liked a boat, and it was in the condition I wanted, at the price I wanted, I suppose I could overlook the winch location. Maybe.
Winches can be moved.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
you need to keep, at least one, on the cabin top for the halyards, vang, outhaul, reefing line (if you use single line). So, if anything, I would add two extra winches on the coaming. I think this was a factory option.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I have a 270 since 2013. The winches are an issue if you are single handing but you get used to it. Putting additional winches on the cockpit coaming would help but I don't know if it would be worth the aftermarket price. Also the genoa that comes with it is definitely the main "engine" on the boat. The cabin and storage with few exceptions are intelligently laid out. Overall I like it and would buy it again.

Feb 25, 2017
Catalina 270LE Marathon Florida
Hi Jim
I have a 94 270Le I am considering putting on the market. She is all set up for cruising (sailing dinghy on Davits, refrigeration, solar, large amg battery bank, pretty much all new everything) and shows like new. No AC at this time but it would be a nice feature for those special hot,buggy and muggy nights! A lot of love and money has been spent setting her up and she is turn key. I am hesitant to sell but considering a larger vessel with beaching capabilities since I recently purchased out islands with a nice beach and sand bar. In case your other deal falls through please feel free to contact me and I can put together details for you to look at. She is located in Marathon, Florida Keys.