Registered users don't see ads

Composting head on B361?

Discussion in 'Ask A Beneteau Owner' started by Ben4195, Mar 26, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Ben4195

Ben4195

Joined Jul 5, 2005
    39 posts, 0 likes
    Beneteau 361
    US Sandusky Harbor Marina
    hi all,

Have any B361 owners converted to a composting head, and if so, which one did you choose? It seems like the space for a toilet is so small on the 361, and I’m skeptical whether or not one would fit. I can’t measure the space for a few weeks, so thought I’d put the question out there in the meantime.

Thanks for any help!

2. Ben4195

Ben4195

Joined Jul 5, 2005
    39 posts, 0 likes
    Beneteau 361
    Hello again all,

Since no one responded, I took that as a bad sign that any other B361 owners had put in a composting head. I thought, however, that it might be helpful to any other B361 owners who MIGHT be wondering about this to share what I learned after I measured the space this past weekend.

Sadly it appears a composting head will NOT fit in the existing head space. The depth (front of the toilet to the back of the unit) is at least 19 inches, and to accommodate that in the existing space, a person would have to do his or her business with the head door in the open position. not very conducive to privacy. :(

3. arf145

arf145

Joined Nov 4, 2010
    342 posts, 10 likes
    Beneteau 331
    US Deale, MD
    I measured our 331 with this idea in mind and came to the same conclusion. Now, if one is willing to remove the panel covering the holding tank and cut and altere the whole toilet area it might be possible.

4. Ben4195

Ben4195

Joined Jul 5, 2005
    39 posts, 0 likes
    Beneteau 361
    I agree, Arf; I had considered that option, but also figured I'd totally bugger up the thing if I tried to do it myself. Incidentally, the composting heads I measured for were the Nature's Head and the C-Head.

5. arf145

arf145

Joined Nov 4, 2010
    342 posts, 10 likes
    Beneteau 331
    US Deale, MD
    Yeah, I was mostly thinking C-Head because, if I remember correctly, it can be smaller.

6. Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Peggie Hall HeadMistress

Joined Dec 2, 1997
    6,668 posts, 423 likes
    - -
    US LIttle Rock
    Consider this instead: An "MSD" portapotty. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.
    A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.

Check out the Thetford 550P MSD and the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD Sanipottie

7. Ben4195

Ben4195

Joined Jul 5, 2005
    39 posts, 0 likes
    Beneteau 361
    Thanks for the suggestion, Peggy. I hadn't thought of a portapotty. I'll do a bit more research on it and give that a noodle. :)

8. Syversens

Syversens

Joined Oct 29, 2006
    352 posts, 2 likes
    Beneteau 361
    US Olympia, WA
    Hey Ben, I'm putting in a composting toilet on our 361 very soon, it'll be the Natures head one. I've measured and it's close but the existing toilet (Raritan Elegance) wasn't supposed to fit either but did.

I'll have to make it work as we've been using the awesome Raritan/Electroscan toilet and processing for 10 years now and haven't been to a pump out in said time and not about to start now. I'm sure taking the wee tank out will be a pita but I'm not putting in the hoses for the old tank again, I swore I'd either quit boating or go composting and my wife is holding me to it. I sincerely hope Puget Sound water quality improves as I feel I was quite responsible with my system, now illegal.

Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!