Compare the 35.5 to the 34

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Re: Hull Strength

I can atest to the hull strength of the L35.5. This past summer, while racing in a local club race, the skipper of an X-99 made a sudden turn directly across my bow while we were under spinnaker. We hit the X-99 just aft of midships (T-Bone) while moving at 6.5 knots. Net result was $30,000 damage to the X-99, and a 1"sq chip in our gelcoat right at the bow eye.

M

Mark

OK, I'm sold

To Do List: Find H35 with as many known problems that have been fixed (leaky skylights, water in V-berth) Redo critical electrical problems staging for overhaul of electrics Replace all running rigging (10 years or older) Replace standing rigging as needed Refurb furler Refurb or replace Barient Winches Add electronics (GPS, Chartplotter, radar in sequence) Replacing whatever isnt NMEA compliant for data exchange Clean all tankage Replace sails over 6 years old That should do it. Markdb

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Mark - re: V-berth Leak

Mark - with regard to the leak in the V-berth area, I'd like to know what the signs are (is it currently leaking or are there just some old water stains and the like). If it's old stains, warped plywood, etc., but it's currently dry, then the leak can be from the chain locker. Look up under the deck where the chain locker pan meets the underside of the deck and you'll see it is NOT sealed! When plowing to weather in waves water will be forced up the chain locker drain hole (or over the deck) and fill the locker. Any surplus water will go over the edge of the pan and into the inside of the boat! This is something an owner can fix. Don't ask me how because I haven't really fixed mine nicely yet. I tried using sealant and made a mess. One of these days I'll rip the sealant mess out and re-do it. If the leak is on-going, and depending where it is, there are a few other potential sources: 1. Holes for the furler lines that go through the deck. In any event these need to be epoxy-sealed to prevent water from entering the core. 2. Forward Hatch: This should be re-bedded or, as a minimum, put a new bead of sealant all around. If the leak stops that's your source. The screws on the aft side of the hatch (closest to the mast) shoud be removed and the hole filled with sealant too. Again, if the leak stops that's your source. 3. Running Light Wires: Where the wires go through the pulpit there is a small half-inch stainless tube welded to the one-inch pulpit. Where this tube meets the deck it should be sealed. If it isn't then water can flow downhill following the wire - which, by the way, travels along the underside of the deck and into - you guessed it - the V-berth. Another trick is to put a drip-loop in the wire where it is inside the chain locker. There may be other leak sources but those are the ones I've found. Other Leak Sources: Check the genoa track and the ports (check for water damage inside the electrical panel or around the back of the chart table and on the port side in the galley shelf area above the stove). Another leak area is at the rear of the aft cabin. This leak is caused by water running down the wires from the helm. EASY fix - just add some sealant where the wires penetrate through the fiberglass at the base of the helm. Running Lights: It's probably time to replace them anyway. Did you mention something earlier about the wires? Although I'v never done it, I don't think it too difficult to replace the running light wires in the pulpit. If you do then I'd recommend using only marine-grade and tinned wires. None of that cheap automotive stuff - it corrodes. Replace the lenses because they are probably crazed and maybe even faded. The running lights really take a hit because they're out there in the salt spray. Use dielectric grease on all the screws and bulb contacts to reduce corrosion. Skylights: I've posted on this before so see if you can find my posts. I've been able to fix the leaks so if you can't find my old posts then drop me a line. Electrical: I'v got four golfcarts in the same location as the old pair of group 24s. It's a tight fit but it can be done and it's a super upgrade! If you want to do this, again, drop me a line. The OEM electrical panel is really good but depending on what you want to add there are some approaches to keep everything in good order. Plan to upgrade the cables from the batteries to the main panel - the existing are WAY too small - and, they aren't marine grade so therefore they will be corroded. If you plan to add a windlass now would be the time to plan for the electrical. I haven't done it yet but I've got it all figured out. Winches: I installed Lewmar 43s in lieu of the old 24s and moved the Maxell 24s aft for use with flying sails. Hope you find a nice one because they're a really great boat.

Jul 1, 1998
Alan: re Hull Strength - WAY TO GO !!!

That's a really GREAT commentary on the way your boat is built. Granted, it's the stronger section against the other boats weaker section (although his deck should have helped), but never the less it's still really good. Those X-boats are not cheap. Since you T-boned the guy that also says something about how well you were doing in the race as he couldn't have been that far in front. Guess the rest of the guys in the club know well enough to not try that trick again! And, stay well clear, eh? ALL RIGHT !!!

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Re: T Bone

We were 100yds from the mark on stbd tack and just getting ready to drop the kite. The X boat had just finished rounding and was headed back on port. I bore off slightly to port to allow her to clear ahead of me when she suddenly made a hard right turn and cut straight across my bow. There was absolutly nothing I could do, it happened in a split second. Our bow cut 8" into her deck and ripped the toerail out. Thats what chipped our gelcoat. I had to motor in reverse to get the two boats unhooked. We looked like a pair of mating dogs stuck together. Afterwards I never did get a good explanation from the skipper why he made the move. I figured we were in for a lawsuit(he's an attorney) but I guess he realised it was his mistake. Nice guy, but he really pulled a bonner here!

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
Big Deal Tee Bone

That story has to be the dumbest thing posted here for a while. Think your boat is stronger because it didn't see much damage? Get a brain! I bet if a McGregor chlorux bottle hit your beam that big strong Hunter would sink

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Daryls hot today, what're you smoking?

My buddy pulled a bone head stunt this summer up in Canada and t-boned me. He was doing about two knots. He meant to come alongside and raft but had his head up his,,,. Anyway, both boats were H34s. He hit me amid-ship. Knocked us about a foot. We were stern tied to the beach. No damage, not a mark. The inner hull liner is also triangulated at the point of impact.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Sorry you got offeneded by my story... *sry

....but it's the truth. I just thought it relavant to the strength issue. *! Guess my brain needs an adjustment ;D Next time I'll check with you before I post something ;) ;)

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
Defensive?

Any boat is stronger in the bow than the beam so I wouldn't consider that incident impressive. I had the pleasure of replacing the holding tank vent thru hull fitting and was suprized (actually disappointed) by the fiberglass thickness in that area. It looked all of 1/8" and was close to the area the flexed in waves

P

Paul

Alan, don't apologize

Once you spend a bit of time here at HOW, you will understand who to pay attention to and who to ignore.

M

Mark Burrows

H35 Vberth Leak

I said therw was a leak in the v-berth. I did not see an actual drip (snide comment deleted). In the V-berth, on the port side about a foot from the stern side of the cushion was a wet spot (second snide comment deleted). It was near the edge of the cushion and about 4 inches around. It was cold (about 35 degees) and felt moist. I didn't notice anything on the ceiling or around the hatch during my 2 minute inspection. The broker was at a loss also. John: Thanks for all of the tips. It really gives me an idea of what I'll e in for Markdb

Jul 1, 1998
Gezze Louise! Leave for a few minutes and...

.... this thread catches fire! Daryl - please - there's no need to get the ol' blood pressure up....because in my post I even acknowledged that the bow vs. mid section was the stronger vs. the weaker sections, and I really think that just about anybody would know that. Right? In other words, no rocket science here. I do appreciate the opportunity to clarify my post. If one person read something into it maybe someone else could too. Guess where I'm impressed, well, maybe not 'impressed' but, let's say, surprised, was in the ratio of damage, cost-wise. A few bucks of gel coat on on boat vs. mega$$$$ on the other boat - and I'm NOT saying anything about boat brands. Had the situation been reversed the result may very well have been Alan's boat getting creamed. (hopefully we'll never know!) However, for a few bucks more Alan could probably have bought him a new 'used' boat! Alan: Some thoughts....maybe you should consider getting that bowsprit on sooner than later? Just think, you could put a large pink oversize "eraser" on the end!!! Or maybe pick up a used air bag at a wrecking yard and put that up front? :)

M

Mark

At the risk of repeating myself

See attached. PS. The boats I've raced on have been t-boned. Both times it was near a mark rounding, light wind, lots of current. Rule #1 in this situation--get away from the point of impact. Nothing good can happen. Markdb

M

Mark

At the risk of repeating myself again

Here's the H35 I looked at. It was in the yard not in the water.

M

Mark Burrows

Stern hatch on the H35

I just remembered 2 surprises on the H35. There was an opening hatch on the stern. Why? It just seems to go into a very confined locker area. Second was the icebox under the chart table. It was huge but where do the charts go? Is this standard? This model had a double sink. Mark

Jul 1, 1998
Mark - Think this is a 35.5 vice 35

Hi Mark - I think the boat you're refering to is a 35.5 (circa 1990 - 94? or so) vice the "Legend" 35 (circa 1987-88 or so). The icebox on the 35.5 is under the chart table while on the Legend 35 it is in the galley proper between the sink and stove. Frankly, I 'think' the 35.5 setup may make better utilization of space, like perhaps providing more drawer space in the galley. Also, without the icebox in the galley maybe they put the hot water heater under the galley counter? There must be something there besides just 'air'! The Legend 35 has an access into the stern from the aft stateroom with a removable panel. We've stowed stuff in there that doesn't need to be accessed very often: back-up rolls of paper towles, case of soda, and other stuff. Have you seen the 35 and 35.5 areas in this web site? There are the boat specs, pictures, owner reviews, etc. and generally lots of useful information. Hope this helps.

M

Mark Burrows

Definitely a 35

I'm sure its a 35. It doesnt have the steps and lockers on the stern. Just the walk through. There's also that odd hatch on the stern. Its about a 10"x10" square window that dogs down from the inside. Maybe this was a late 88 model when they were transitioning to the 35.5? Markdb

Jul 1, 1998
Thats Wierd ! Owner Modified?

You're right - if there are no steps then it's a 35. Well, in that case maybe the boat was owner-modified? I've never seen a 35 like that before.

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
Endless thread!

One correction, the ice box on the 35.5 is NOT under the chart table! I looked at 1990, 1992, 1993, and 1994 models before buying my 1994 35.5 and they all had the ice box in the same place as the 35's, port side, in the galley, just forward of the stove. Looks like Mr. Burrows is going through what I did over the last few years. It's worth the search. Don't know if I'd want that hatch in my stern though.

Status
Not open for further replies.